Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> "Their attire demands change seasonally. Expect to be shown the door
> if you don't bring at least a couple of changes of clothes."
>
> What if I just brought a spare pair of sneakers in a sack? Would
> that be OK?

No it would not.

> And don't try to trick me by buying me a gift certificate to that low
> brow Masa II dump next door! I hate rubbing shoulders with the hoi
> poloi.

That is not is not Masa II, it is called "Masa Ltd.". Take your pick,
hoity toity or hoi paloi. Oy!

> I'll just ask the guy for a heaping bowl of straight uni and skip the
> pasta and the Italian rice and all the fancy stuff. That's Christmas,
> not "Christams".

Their having a special this week: for $80 bucks less you can eat the
uni right off the floor of the delivery truck.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Tea

I'm a NYer. While I don't have a lot of money, I've eaten in $100-$200
meals before- that's easy in New York, and many places are worth it. While
I think Masa is verry expensive and possibly overpriced, I know there's a
lot of overhead in putting together a restaurant.

Is it a clip joint? That's impossible to say without tasting the food and
soaking in the atmosphere. Is it hoity-toity (meaning snooty)? I don't
know, since I haven't been there.

In NYC, a lot of people will make reservations at several restaurants to
hold a place at each- and then decide at the last minute where to go. This
can be a problem for a place that is serving high-quality seafood in limited
quantities, and which is in a fairly small place where every sale counts.

All sushi places make 'fashion statements'- at least the good ones do. They
present the food in the most beautiful way possible, and the most entrancing
atmosphere possible. That takes skill and care. Why people are so incensed
by a restaurant they may never have a chance to visit (how many of you have
ever been to NYC anyway?), I don't know. All I know is that I wouldn't mind
being taken there for my birthday, since I can't afford to pay for a meal
there.

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
> > I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
> > kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone...
> >
> > Hey, I'd be happy to pay a lot for really great sashimi - chirashi! -
> > but not for some goof off in a hoity toity New York clip joint making
> > fashion statements with his ultra-expensive uni!

> Well at Fuji-Ya it was in a large tatami room with ambience like you
> can't buy at any price elsewhere. There's only one Fuji-Ya, serving as
> an Inn since the 1700's. The service was exceptional. Each dish was a
> delight to the eye and palate. It was amazing by any culinary and/or
> experiential analysis.
>
> I've not been to Masa, so the idea of "hoity toity" (that means too
> expensive, right?) and the concept of "clip joint"--I haven't heard
> anybody say that. All anyone seems to know is that it is damned
> expensive and they aren't blowing reservations off--and apparently will
> punish you in the same way expensive French restaurants do in Newport
> Beach, and a place or two in Los Angeles too.
>
> I don't know how all these assumptions got started. Masayoshi Takayama
> may be any number of things including a wife-beater for all I know. I'm
> not sure the rationale for "goof-off", though.
>
> And I'm sure no one could possibly rationalize the expense. Having to
> make private air-mail deliveries, paying NYC overhead, having your
> stemware custom made, etc. Me, I've only even SEEN halfbeak once, it
> was excellent. But I've never seen it like this, and assume it takes
> some skill:
>
> <http://www.kateigaho.com/int/jun04/ny-masa.html>
>
> But what the hell--what say we torch the place as a group, on confused
> principle? :-)
>
> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Tea

[...]

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
> > I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
> > kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone...
> >
> > Hey, I'd be happy to pay a lot for really great sashimi - chirashi! -
> > but not for some goof off in a hoity toity New York clip joint making
> > fashion statements with his ultra-expensive uni!

> Well at Fuji-Ya it was in a large tatami room with ambience like you
> can't buy at any price elsewhere. There's only one Fuji-Ya, serving as
> an Inn since the 1700's. The service was exceptional. Each dish was a
> delight to the eye and palate. It was amazing by any culinary and/or
> experiential analysis.
>
> I've not been to Masa, so the idea of "hoity toity" (that means too
> expensive, right?) and the concept of "clip joint"--I haven't heard
> anybody say that. All anyone seems to know is that it is damned
> expensive and they aren't blowing reservations off--and apparently will
> punish you in the same way expensive French restaurants do in Newport
> Beach, and a place or two in Los Angeles too.
>
> I don't know how all these assumptions got started. Masayoshi Takayama
> may be any number of things including a wife-beater for all I know. I'm
> not sure the rationale for "goof-off", though.
>
> And I'm sure no one could possibly rationalize the expense. Having to
> make private air-mail deliveries, paying NYC overhead, having your
> stemware custom made, etc. Me, I've only even SEEN halfbeak once, it
> was excellent. But I've never seen it like this, and assume it takes
> some skill:
>
> <http://www.kateigaho.com/int/jun04/ny-masa.html>
>
> But what the hell--what say we torch the place as a group, on confused
> principle? :-)
>
> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
> > Well, if you cheap bums would get together and chip in and buy me a
> > Christams present, namely a couple of gift certificates to Masa that I
> > could use the next time I'm in NYC, then maybe I wouldn't be so jealous
> > and bitter and maybe I'd even stop making stoopid comments about the
> > joint!
> >
> > Will it be OK if I go there in my usual jeans and t-shirt, or will I
> > have to rent a tux and a top hat?

> Their attire demands change seasonally. Expect to be shown the door if
> you don't bring at least a couple of changes of clothes.

I think a suit and tie will be more than enough- and shoes of course.
> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Dan Logcher

Tea wrote:

> All sushi places make 'fashion statements'- at least the good ones do. They
> present the food in the most beautiful way possible, and the most entrancing
> atmosphere possible. That takes skill and care. Why people are so incensed
> by a restaurant they may never have a chance to visit (how many of you have
> ever been to NYC anyway?), I don't know. All I know is that I wouldn't mind
> being taken there for my birthday, since I can't afford to pay for a meal
> there.

I've been, and went to Hatsuhana for sushi. My wife and I had a wonderful
meal, for $114 (and she doesn't drink). We would never consider going to Masa
for $600 - $1000 meal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

--
Dan

Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Logcher > typed:

> I've been, and went to Hatsuhana for sushi. My wife and I had
> wonderful meal, for $114 (and she doesn't drink). We would
> never
> consider going to Masa for $600 - $1000 meal. It just doesn't
> seem
> worth it to me.

I'm with you. I've occasionally spent some fairly substantial
sums for a meal, but never anywhere near $600-$1000, and I'm not
willing to spend that much.

But value is a funny thing. We all have different perceptions of
it, depending on our own personal likes and dislikes. Someone
with the amount of money as you may think it's crazy to spend as
much as $114 on a meal, while you may think it's crazy to spend
as much as they do on clothes, cars, and so on. There's no right
or wrong here, just right for the individual.

And that's without even mentioning that we all have different
amounts of money to spend. If I were Bill Gates, I'd eat where I
wanted, when I wanted, and wouldn't be concerned about a meal's
costing $1000.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Dan Logcher

Ken Blake wrote:

> And that's without even mentioning that we all have different
> amounts of money to spend. If I were Bill Gates, I'd eat where I
> wanted, when I wanted, and wouldn't be concerned about a meal's
> costing $1000.

Yeah, if I were a gazillionaire. I would eat there once, then buy
it out. I mean, really.. if I could afford to buy a successful
sushi bar, why not.

--
Dan

> My personal opinion is that I'd rather pay for good food
> than "ambiance" or "hand made glassware" or gimmicks (does
> Masa have an oxygen bar?; insect sushi?) and other fluff.
>
> Bring back the old pre-Disneyfied Times Square. Orange Julius,
> Nathan's, pizza parlors, gyros, hot pretzels, peep joints, ...

__________________

I'm with you. Ambiance makes me nervous.

I used to work around the old "pre-Disney" Times Square (what have they
been doing to it in my absence?) - "Check it out, dude!" - can't say
that I miss it. I do miss Nathans. I'm a sauerkraut fan and they let
you put on all you want, at least the good Nathans branches do - plus
they make it good. Also, I don't know where you can get real honest
french fries other than Nathans. McDonalds, etc., are more like potato
chips. Another NYC food joint that I miss is Grey's Papaya and its
offshoots. I don't know where to get papaya juice like that except in
NYC, do you? But I digress from the topic.

ww

Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> > My personal opinion is that I'd rather pay for good food than
> > "ambiance" or "hand made glassware" or gimmicks (does Masa have an
> > oxygen bar?; insect sushi?) and other fluff.
> >
> > Bring back the old pre-Disneyfied Times Square. Orange Julius,
> > Nathan's, pizza parlors, gyros, hot pretzels, peep joints, ...

> I'm with you. Ambiance makes me nervous.

You mean some makes you nervous and some you delight in. Let's not
pretend that 1980 Times Square didn't have ambiance.

> I used to work around the old "pre-Disney" Times Square (what have
> they been doing to it in my absence?)

Waiting for your return.

> - "Check it out, dude!" - can't say that I miss it.

Man that brings back memories. Those paper-popping chekitouts looked
just like me--except they had a job.

> I do miss Nathans. I'm a sauerkraut fan and they let you put on all
> you want, at least the good Nathans branches do - plus they make it
> good.

Bro! The next time you make it to OC you have to have to have to go to
Hollingshead Deli at Main and Culver in Orange. A few hundred types of
import and regional beers, 15 or so on tap. But on Saturday's (and
Saturday's only) they do hot dogs, fire dogs, brats and Polish. Every
week, without fail, the wife and I have one at around 2pm. This with a
gal that doesn't/won't eat "fast food" anywhere. These aren't Nathan's
style certainly; vastly larger with buns made from actual bread. The
condiments are great and the beer is the best.

When Reagan emptied the mental institutes onto the streets in the 80's
I use to stand at that corner at Nathan's (about 44th or 45th?) and see
folks lumber up, pop the top off the trash bin, rummage around and get
a few halfsies and be off. In and out in no more than 20 seconds.

> Also, I don't know where you can get real honest french fries
> other than Nathans. McDonalds, etc., are more like potato chips.
> Another NYC food joint that I miss is Grey's Papaya and its
> offshoots. I don't know where to get papaya juice like that except
> in NYC, do you? But I digress from the topic.

Rio...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> > My personal opinion is that I'd rather pay for good food than
> > "ambiance" or "hand made glassware" or gimmicks (does Masa have an
> > oxygen bar?; insect sushi?) and other fluff.
> >
> > Bring back the old pre-Disneyfied Times Square. Orange Julius,
> > Nathan's, pizza parlors, gyros, hot pretzels, peep joints, ...

> I'm with you. Ambiance makes me nervous.

You mean some makes you nervous and some you delight in. Let's not
pretend that 1980 Times Square didn't have ambiance.

> I used to work around the old "pre-Disney" Times Square (what have
> they been doing to it in my absence?)

Waiting for your return.

> - "Check it out, dude!" - can't say that I miss it.

Man that brings back memories. Those paper-popping chekitouts looked
just like me--except they had a job.

> I do miss Nathans. I'm a sauerkraut fan and they let you put on all
> you want, at least the good Nathans branches do - plus they make it
> good.

Bro! The next time you make it to OC you have to have to have to go to
Hollingshead Deli at Main and Culver in Orange. A few hundred types of
import and regional beers, 15 or so on tap. But on Saturday's (and
Saturday's only) they do hot dogs, fire dogs, brats and Polish. Every
week, without fail, the wife and I have one at around 2pm. This with a
gal that doesn't/won't eat "fast food" anywhere. These aren't Nathan's
style certainly; vastly larger with buns made from actual bread. The
condiments are great and the beer is the best.

When Reagan emptied the mental institutes onto the streets in the 80's
I use to stand at that corner at Nathan's (about 44th or 45th?) and see
folks lumber up, pop the top off the trash bin, rummage around and get
a few halfsies and be off. In and out in no more than 20 seconds.

> Also, I don't know where you can get real honest french fries
> other than Nathans. McDonalds, etc., are more like potato chips.
> Another NYC food joint that I miss is Grey's Papaya and its
> offshoots. I don't know where to get papaya juice like that except
> in NYC, do you? But I digress from the topic.

Rio...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

Art

>Yeah, if I were a gazillionaire. I would eat there once, then buy
>it out. I mean, really.. if I could afford to buy a successful
>sushi bar, why not.

Because you'd eat the place out of business?
Dan Logcher

Art wrote:
>>Yeah, if I were a gazillionaire. I would eat there once, then buy
>>it out. I mean, really.. if I could afford to buy a successful
>>sushi bar, why not.

> Because you'd eat the place out of business?

Maybe.. but I would probably open a location near you to keep
the business afloat.

--
Dan
Art

>Bro! The next time you make it to OC you have to have to have to go to
>Hollingshead Deli at Main and Culver in Orange. A few hundred types of
>import and regional beers, 15 or so on tap. But on Saturday's (and
>Saturday's only) they do hot dogs, fire dogs, brats and Polish. Every
>week, without fail, the wife and I have one at around 2pm. This with a
>gal that doesn't/won't eat "fast food" anywhere. These aren't Nathan's
>style certainly; vastly larger with buns made from actual bread. The
>condiments are great and the beer is the best.

This description reminds me of the hot dogs served in Zurich, Switzerland when
I was there some 25 years ago.

Way off topic, but I had a great hot dog recently at a Stewart's Root Beer
stand/restaurant. I had it "southern style" (well, according to my friend,
anyway). A chili dog, with cole slaw on top. Weird, but really tasty. What a
bargain.. the dog, slaw, fries, a pickle slice, a cup of soup, and a mug of
root beer, for $4.95. Even scarier, this is about a 3 minute walk from my
house.

ObSushi: Had some sushi today at a buffet. Pretty good for buffet sushi.. had
red and orange tobiko makis, tuna maki wrapped with stringy "crabmeat", and
some very tender salmon nigiris.

--Art

Art

>Bro! The next time you make it to OC you have to have to have to go to
>Hollingshead Deli at Main and Culver in Orange. A few hundred types of
>import and regional beers, 15 or so on tap. But on Saturday's (and
>Saturday's only) they do hot dogs, fire dogs, brats and Polish. Every
>week, without fail, the wife and I have one at around 2pm. This with a
>gal that doesn't/won't eat "fast food" anywhere. These aren't Nathan's
>style certainly; vastly larger with buns made from actual bread. The
>condiments are great and the beer is the best.

This description reminds me of the hot dogs served in Zurich, Switzerland when
I was there some 25 years ago.

Way off topic, but I had a great hot dog recently at a Stewart's Root Beer
stand/restaurant. I had it "southern style" (well, according to my friend,
anyway). A chili dog, with cole slaw on top. Weird, but really tasty. What a
bargain.. the dog, slaw, fries, a pickle slice, a cup of soup, and a mug of
root beer, for $4.95. Even scarier, this is about a 3 minute walk from my
house.

ObSushi: Had some sushi today at a buffet. Pretty good for buffet sushi.. had
red and orange tobiko makis, tuna maki wrapped with stringy "crabmeat", and
some very tender salmon nigiris.

--Art

Tea

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Tea wrote:
>
> > All sushi places make 'fashion statements'- at least the good ones do.

They
> > present the food in the most beautiful way possible, and the most

entrancing
> > atmosphere possible. That takes skill and care. Why people are so

incensed
> > by a restaurant they may never have a chance to visit (how many of you

have
> > ever been to NYC anyway?), I don't know. All I know is that I wouldn't

mind
> > being taken there for my birthday, since I can't afford to pay for a

meal
> > there.

> I've been, and went to Hatsuhana for sushi. My wife and I had a wonderful
> meal, for $114 (and she doesn't drink). We would never consider going to

Masa
> for $600 - $1000 meal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
>
> --
> Dan

I'm thinking of treating myself to Hatsuhana for my birthday. I don't have
any problem with putting $200 aside for drinks, tax and tip to go there.
While I think $100 for a dinner is wayyy expensive, I wouldn't mind having a
$600 meal, if I didn't have to pay for it.

Hmm. Now I'm thinking I should wait to go to Hatsuhana when the BF is in
town- he'd be in his glory.

To put it in perspective- I have had meals that were $200-$300 per person
that were worth it.

Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
> > > My personal opinion is that I'd rather pay for good food than
> > > "ambiance" or "hand made glassware" or gimmicks (does Masa have an
> > > oxygen bar?; insect sushi?) and other fluff.
> > >
> > > Bring back the old pre-Disneyfied Times Square. Orange Julius,
> > > Nathan's, pizza parlors, gyros, hot pretzels, peep joints, ...

> > I'm with you. Ambiance makes me nervous.

And herein lies the thing. Some of us like ambiance of a certain sort once
in a while. It's part of the meal.

I used to say I missed the old Times Square- but the truth is, I don't miss
prosties nodding out on street corners, popcorn pimps trying to pick me up
at the bus station, and all those things that went with it. I can still go
to Papaya King in other parts of the city- Nathan's, too. Even Nedicks and
Orange Julius.

In some ways Times Squar is closer to its 1930s incarnation than it ever was
during the '70s. It still has some elements of sleaze, there are still
spectaculars on all the buildings (and they're even brighter than before)
and it is still a major tourist and working-class paradise, with a couple of
arcades, pretzel sellers, and Chinese paiters who will turn your name into a
swirly design on a poster for you to show the folks back home. What do I
miss? ShowWorld Center- I went there on a field trip while working on my
Ph.D. The area is also less Disneyfied than we thought it would become-
Disney did not end up becoming a major player. The rubes still get clipped
on a regular basis by hustlers of various types, and I wouldn't be surprised
if mid-range call girls didn't haunt the hotel bars. At night, the streets
are filled not only with middle-aged tourists but with black and Latino
working-class kids and 20-somethings, on a spree from the Bronx, Brooklyn
and Harlem. they are the spiritual descendents of the kids who hung out
there in the 30s and 40s..

> You mean some makes you nervous and some you delight in. Let's not
> pretend that 1980 Times Square didn't have ambiance.

Exactly. Some of us like sleaze on occasion. I know I do. But sooner or
later Times Square was going to get fixed up. At least it hasn't been turned
into million-dollar highrises.

> > I used to work around the old "pre-Disney" Times Square (what have
> > they been doing to it in my absence?)

> Waiting for your return.

Moving on. There's a Cold Stone Creamery and an Olive Garden, and a Sephora.
There's a theatre for the World Wrestling Federation, or whatever they're
called this week. The old record store is still there, under the Brill
Building. There's a gigantic Virgin Records, a Madame Tussaud's, and three
of the movie theatres have been fixed up and turned into multiplexes.
There's a pinball and video game arcade. You can walk through the bus
station with your Aunt Minnie and she won't have a heart attack, but there
are still a few homeless people living there who have found some out of the
way spots. There are guys who will take you for a ride on a bike built for
ten for some outrageous amount of money, and there's the Naked Cowboy, who
wears boots, a hat and a thong and who sings and gets money from tourists.
There are shady electronics businesses run by Indians and Pakistanis who
routinely overcharge rubes for mp3 players, and Nigerian businessmen who
sell fake Rolex watches out of attache cases and fake Louis Vuitton bags out
of black plastic bags and off of bed sheets that can be carried away in an
instant. There are break dancers and a Toys-R-Us with a Ferris wheel inside
and Puerto Rican girls walking with their kids and their baby daddies, and
Dominican girls wearing pants so tight you can see their internal organs,
and a Bubba Gump shrimp joint that pulls in tourists and fleeces them, and a
barbeque joint that's decent, and MTV, and theatres, and Mexicans selling
cotton candy and honey-coated peanuts, and cabbies from the Ukraine driving
down Broadway, and White teenagers who've come in from Connecticut and New
Jersey to look at the lights and use fake ID to get drunk.

> > Also, I don't know where you can get real honest french fries
> > other than Nathans. McDonalds, etc., are more like potato chips.
> > Another NYC food joint that I miss is Grey's Papaya and its
> > offshoots. I don't know where to get papaya juice like that except
> > in NYC, do you? But I digress from the topic.

> Rio...

Or New York. Gray's Papaya is down not too far from me in the West Village.
It's been there since forever. And there are others also.

I feel some nostalgia for Times Square- but I'd probably feel more if I'd
left, or if we didn't have triple X businesses moving into the West Village,
or if I didn't feel greater ties to other parts of the city, like the Meat
Market district which actually had its own bizarre sense of community,
artists, trannie hookers, junkies, leathermen and all. I never felt
frightened in the old bus station- but I didn't want to use a bathroom
there, either. The same with Grand Central. there are still plenty of
homeless crazy people, though- feel free to come and visit!

> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

I feel some nostalgia for Times Square- but I'd probably feel more if I'd
left, or if we didn't have triple X businesses moving into the West Village,
or if I didn't feel greater ties to other parts of the city, like the Meat
Market district which actually had its own bizarre sense of community,
artists, trannie hookers, junkies, leathermen and all. I never felt
frightened in the old bus station- but I didn't want to use a bathroom
there, either. The same with Grand Central. there are still plenty of
homeless crazy people, though- feel free to come and visit!

> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and

Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

I feel some nostalgia for Times Square- but I'd probably feel more if I'd
left, or if we didn't have triple X businesses moving into the West Village,
or if I didn't feel greater ties to other parts of the city, like the Meat
Market district which actually had its own bizarre sense of community,
artists, trannie hookers, junkies, leathermen and all. I never felt
frightened in the old bus station- but I didn't want to use a bathroom
there, either. The same with Grand Central. there are still plenty of
homeless crazy people, though- feel free to come and visit!

> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and

Dan Logcher

Tea wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Tea wrote:
>>

>>>All sushi places make 'fashion statements'- at least the good ones do.

> They
>
>>>present the food in the most beautiful way possible, and the most

> entrancing
>
>>>atmosphere possible. That takes skill and care. Why people are so

> incensed
>
>>>by a restaurant they may never have a chance to visit (how many of you

> have
>
>>>ever been to NYC anyway?), I don't know. All I know is that I wouldn't

> mind
>
>>>being taken there for my birthday, since I can't afford to pay for a

> meal
>
>>>there.

>>I've been, and went to Hatsuhana for sushi. My wife and I had a wonderful
>>meal, for $114 (and she doesn't drink). We would never consider going to

> Masa
>
>>for $600 - $1000 meal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> I'm thinking of treating myself to Hatsuhana for my birthday. I don't have
> any problem with putting $200 aside for drinks, tax and tip to go there.
> While I think $100 for a dinner is wayyy expensive, I wouldn't mind having a
> $600 meal, if I didn't have to pay for it.

Once in a while we have a nice expensive meal for our anniversary. We typically
spend abou $40-$50 each on sushi. We spent $57 each at Hatsuhana, and it was
well worth it.

> To put it in perspective- I have had meals that were $200-$300 per person
> that were worth it.

We once had a $320 for two meal on our anniversary, which I felt wasn't completely
worth it.

--
Dan
Dan Logcher

Tea wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Tea wrote:
>>

>>>All sushi places make 'fashion statements'- at least the good ones do.

> They
>
>>>present the food in the most beautiful way possible, and the most

> entrancing
>
>>>atmosphere possible. That takes skill and care. Why people are so

> incensed
>
>>>by a restaurant they may never have a chance to visit (how many of you

> have
>
>>>ever been to NYC anyway?), I don't know. All I know is that I wouldn't

> mind
>
>>>being taken there for my birthday, since I can't afford to pay for a

> meal
>
>>>there.

>>I've been, and went to Hatsuhana for sushi. My wife and I had a wonderful
>>meal, for $114 (and she doesn't drink). We would never consider going to

> Masa
>
>>for $600 - $1000 meal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> I'm thinking of treating myself to Hatsuhana for my birthday. I don't have
> any problem with putting $200 aside for drinks, tax and tip to go there.
> While I think $100 for a dinner is wayyy expensive, I wouldn't mind having a
> $600 meal, if I didn't have to pay for it.

Once in a while we have a nice expensive meal for our anniversary. We typically
spend abou $40-$50 each on sushi. We spent $57 each at Hatsuhana, and it was
well worth it.

> To put it in perspective- I have had meals that were $200-$300 per person
> that were worth it.

We once had a $320 for two meal on our anniversary, which I felt wasn't completely
worth it.

--
Dan

Gerry

In article >, Tea
> wrote:

> And herein lies the thing. Some of us like ambiance of a certain sort once
> in a while. It's part of the meal.

There's ambiance in all measures. There's the marble and crystal
variety, the art deco variety, the ancient booze-hounds in a ancient
bar, there's the saw-dust floor. All are ambiance and I dig all of
them as such. I'm not sure I could comfortably hang in just any of
them regularly with my friends for a meal or the odd drink. One
consideration is price, certainly. Another is whether it's physically
comfortable, and whether the help is attendant at the least and
knowledgeable/remembers your tastes, etc. at best.

Moody and hip is fun and interesting. But I weary of it after a while.
On the other hand I'm not a big fan of florescent lighting and
linoleum. Nor the clap-trap-on-the-walls that TGIF's made an emblem.

One of the reasons I like sushi, at least in part, is the generally
small attendant setting, the ease with which one can have conversations
with strangers at the bar is another critical component too. Both are
about ambiance. If neither were possible I don't think I would have
pursued Japanese food with such vigor. If it's basic mode were high
ceilings and drapped booths it would have held little interest for me.

A significant part of the dining experience is engagement with the
preparation--it's a floor show of course. And the give-and-take with
the itamae is also critical. When they are a cold dispassionate food
deliverer I don't usually return.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, Tea
> > wrote:
>
> > And herein lies the thing. Some of us like ambiance of a certain sort

once
> > in a while. It's part of the meal.

> There's ambiance in all measures. There's the marble and crystal
> variety, the art deco variety, the ancient booze-hounds in a ancient
> bar, there's the saw-dust floor. All are ambiance and I dig all of
> them as such. I'm not sure I could comfortably hang in just any of
> them regularly with my friends for a meal or the odd drink. One
> consideration is price, certainly. Another is whether it's physically
> comfortable, and whether the help is attendant at the least and
> knowledgeable/remembers your tastes, etc. at best.

Right. And as I said, "Some of us like ambiance of a certain sort once
> > in a while. It's part of the meal." The certain sort one gets at this

place is what it is, and some people have the money to pay, That's what
places like Masa are for- but that doesn't mean it's necessarily snooty. It
might be, but some people like that too on occasion. No one is forcing you
to go, so why sound so upset?

> Moody and hip is fun and interesting. But I weary of it after a while.
> On the other hand I'm not a big fan of florescent lighting and
> linoleum. Nor the clap-trap-on-the-walls that TGIF's made an emblem.

And on the other hand I would eat at expensive restaurants at least once a
week if I could afford it- even if once in a while it cost 600 dollars. Part
of the price factor is that it is exclusive. It's clubhouse for the rich.
The entire Time Warner Center is a clubhouse for the rich.

> One of the reasons I like sushi, at least in part, is the generally
> small attendant setting, the ease with which one can have conversations
> with strangers at the bar is another critical component too. Both are
> about ambiance. If neither were possible I don't think I would have
> pursued Japanese food with such vigor. If it's basic mode were high
> ceilings and drapped booths it would have held little interest for me.

But this place is not simply about sushi, or your way of enjoying sushi or
they wouldn't have risotto on the menu.

> A significant part of the dining experience is engagement with the
> preparation--it's a floor show of course. And the give-and-take with
> the itamae is also critical. When they are a cold dispassionate food
> deliverer I don't usually return.

Well, you may not even afford to have that choice at this place. Or maybe
you do. At any rate, you aren't being forced to eat there, and you haven't
proved that it's bad simply because it's too pricey for most people on the
planet.

> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

But this place is not simply about sushi, or your way of enjoying sushi or
they wouldn't have risotto on the menu.

> A significant part of the dining experience is engagement with the
> preparation--it's a floor show of course. And the give-and-take with
> the itamae is also critical. When they are a cold dispassionate food
> deliverer I don't usually return.

Well, you may not even afford to have that choice at this place. Or maybe
you do. At any rate, you aren't being forced to eat there, and you haven't
proved that it's bad simply because it's too pricey for most people on the
planet.

> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and

Dan Logcher

Tea wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message

>>>Unless somebody else is paying for a trip to Masa, I'll get my
>>>sushi elsewhere.
>>>

>>I would go if someone else paid, and that person was extremely
>>wealthy and could afford such a high price.
>>

> But Dan, if someone can afford to go there and take you, that person would
> be wealthy. Fortunately I have some wealthy friends.

Not if that was their last $1K.. I mean a million+aire. If any of my
friends tried to take me there I'd probably refuse.. since non of my friends
can easily afford to drop that kind of dough.

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Tea wrote:
>=20
> > "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >=20

> >>I would go if someone else paid, and that person was extremely
> >>wealthy and could afford such a high price.
> >>

> >=20
> > But Dan, if someone can afford to go there and take you, that person =

would
> > be wealthy. Fortunately I have some wealthy friends.

>=20
> Not if that was their last $1K.. I mean a million+aire. If any of my
> friends tried to take me there I'd probably refuse.. since non of my =

friends
> can easily afford to drop that kind of dough.
>=20

So...you would only go there to eat with someone rich who was not your =
friend.
Sounds like a business meal to me.

Gerry

In article >, Tea
> wrote:

> > > And herein lies the thing. Some of us like ambiance of a certain
> > > sort once in a while. It's part of the meal.

> > There's ambiance in all measures. There's the marble and crystal
> > variety, the art deco variety, the ancient booze-hounds in a
> > ancient bar, there's the saw-dust floor. All are ambiance and I
> > dig all of them as such. I'm not sure I could comfortably hang in
> > just any of them regularly with my friends for a meal or the odd
> > drink. One consideration is price, certainly. Another is whether
> > it's physically comfortable, and whether the help is attendant at
> > the least and knowledgeable/remembers your tastes, etc. at best.

> Right. And as I said, "Some of us like ambiance of a certain sort
> once in a while. It's part of the meal." The certain sort one gets
> at this place is what it is, and some people have the money to pay,
> That's what places like Masa are for- but that doesn't mean it's
> necessarily snooty. It might be, but some people like that too on
> occasion. No one is forcing you to go, so why sound so upset?

Upset? Huh? I didn't call them "snooty". I'd go if I had that kind of
money and I'm not in the slightest upset. A few others in the thread
seem to have some ire for the restaurant, the chef; lots of things. Not
me. It takes many approaches to satisfy different tastes. I think
that's great and prefer it that way.

> > > Moody and hip is fun and interesting. But I weary of it after a
> > > while. On the other hand I'm not a big fan of florescent lighting
> > > and linoleum. Nor the clap-trap-on-the-walls that TGIF's made an
> > > emblem.

> And on the other hand I would eat at expensive restaurants at least
> once a week if I could afford it- even if once in a while it cost 600
> dollars. Part of the price factor is that it is exclusive. It's
> clubhouse for the rich. The entire Time Warner Center is a clubhouse
> for the rich.

Me too. But mostly I'd go to the more expensive places because the
food is so damned good. A couple of weeks ago, on vacation in Paso
Robles, I ate at not-inexpensive French restaurants almost every night.
I loved it. But it was a vacation, and so I can't do that all the
time. I assume I'd weary of it, if I *did* dine high-life every night.

> > One of the reasons I like sushi, at least in part, is the generally
> > small attendant setting, the ease with which one can have
> > conversations with strangers at the bar is another critical
> > component too. Both are about ambiance. If neither were possible
> > I don't think I would have pursued Japanese food with such vigor.
> > If it's basic mode were high ceilings and drapped booths it would
> > have held little interest for me.

> But this place is not simply about sushi, or your way of enjoying
> sushi or they wouldn't have risotto on the menu.

But? But, I wasn't referring specifically to Masa relative to that
quote, but about amiance and how ambiance, depending on one's needs can
vie for "most important factor" with the quality or variety of food.

But relative to sushi: in fact I rarely eat sushi in "sushi places".
Usually I eat some sashimi and cooked foods, pickles, whatever is
intersting. If there were risotto in/on a menu item at a locale
Japanese restaurant, I'd undoubtedly order it for it's
creativity/novelty aspects.

> > A significant part of the dining experience is engagement with the
> > preparation--it's a floor show of course. And the give-and-take
> > with the itamae is also critical. When they are a cold
> > dispassionate food deliverer I don't usually return.

> Well, you may not even afford to have that choice at this place. Or
> maybe you do.

Or maybe sometimes you do, but then the next week you don't? There
seems to be a contentious tone to your wing of the dialogue and I'm not
sure why.

> At any rate, you aren't being forced to eat there, and you haven't
> proved that it's bad simply because it's too pricey for most people
> on the planet.

I haven't *attempted* to prove it was either bad or good and have doled
out good-natured ridicule or sarcasm for those who were negative about
the place that haven't eaten there. I don't really give a damn what the
food costs, a dollar or a million dollars. At some point I can't eat
at a restaurant because of the price (true of Masa it seems, but also
of other places I might have gone). Not only do I not get upset--I
don't even care. There are always plenty of other restaurants,
cuisines, settings.

I think maybe you've confused my posts with some others.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher

> >>I would go if someone else paid, and that person was extremely
> >>wealthy and could afford such a high price.
> >>

> > But Dan, if someone can afford to go there and take you, that person would
> > be wealthy. Fortunately I have some wealthy friends.

> Not if that was their last $1K.. I mean a million+aire. If any of my
> friends tried to take me there I'd probably refuse.. since non of my friends
> can easily afford to drop that kind of dough.

Give them my home phone number, quick before the sober up...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Tea wrote:

>>>But Dan, if someone can afford to go there and take you, that person would
>>>be wealthy. Fortunately I have some wealthy friends.
>>>

>>Not if that was their last $1K.. I mean a million+aire. If any of my
>>friends tried to take me there I'd probably refuse.. since non of my friends
>>can easily afford to drop that kind of dough.
>>

> So...you would only go there to eat with someone rich who was not your friend.
> Sounds like a business meal to me.

Yeah, that's about right. I'd feel badly if a friend paid that huge bill.
But who cares if it's a vendor trying to wine and dine me. Of course if I had
a millionaire friend who was willing to take me out I would probably go for it..
but I don't.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Tea wrote:

>>>But Dan, if someone can afford to go there and take you, that person would
>>>be wealthy. Fortunately I have some wealthy friends.
>>>

>>Not if that was their last $1K.. I mean a million+aire. If any of my
>>friends tried to take me there I'd probably refuse.. since non of my friends
>>can easily afford to drop that kind of dough.
>>

> So...you would only go there to eat with someone rich who was not your friend.
> Sounds like a business meal to me.

Yeah, that's about right. I'd feel badly if a friend paid that huge bill.
But who cares if it's a vendor trying to wine and dine me. Of course if I had
a millionaire friend who was willing to take me out I would probably go for it..
but I don't.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Tea wrote:

>>>But Dan, if someone can afford to go there and take you, that person would
>>>be wealthy. Fortunately I have some wealthy friends.
>>>

>>Not if that was their last $1K.. I mean a million+aire. If any of my
>>friends tried to take me there I'd probably refuse.. since non of my friends
>>can easily afford to drop that kind of dough.
>>

> So...you would only go there to eat with someone rich who was not your friend.
> Sounds like a business meal to me.

Yeah, that's about right. I'd feel badly if a friend paid that huge bill.
But who cares if it's a vendor trying to wine and dine me. Of course if I had
a millionaire friend who was willing to take me out I would probably go for it..
but I don't.

--
Dan

Art

>Hmm. Now I'm thinking I should wait to go to Hatsuhana when the BF is in
>town- he'd be in his glory.

That's what I'm thinking.. in March the GF is coming to NYC for a seminar..
perhaps I'll take her to Hatsuhana.

I finally met someone who likes sushi as much as I do. Not sure if that's a
good thing or not, because we both have expensive tastes..

Dan Logcher

Art wrote:

>>Hmm. Now I'm thinking I should wait to go to Hatsuhana when the BF is in
>>town- he'd be in his glory.
>>

> That's what I'm thinking.. in March the GF is coming to NYC for a seminar..
> perhaps I'll take her to Hatsuhana.
>
> I finally met someone who likes sushi as much as I do. Not sure if that's a
> good thing or not, because we both have expensive tastes..

That's a bad thing.. for the rest of us. Unless she has more self-control
than you. Leave some fish for the rest of us.

--
Dan

Gerry -

Orange County rules! I miss that place. I can't find any good Viet.
pho anyplace else.

Show World, etc. I used to have to go into the sub-basements and
hidden backrooms of those things on my job. What a nightmare.

Places I miss most in NYC, like the Chinese noodle joints on Mott
street - like Hong Fat (sadly gone now), and the basement Wo Hop
(happily totally unchanged, including almost unchanged 1965 prices) -
have ambience that extends well into negative territory!

So, all you Noo yawk mavens, tell me where I can get NY-style papaya
juice when I'm not in Noo Yawk!
Check it out!

The Wrong Wong lives!

ww

Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> Gerry -
>
> Orange County rules! I miss that place. I can't find any good Viet.
> pho anyplace else.
>
> Show World, etc. I used to have to go into the sub-basements and
> hidden backrooms of those things on my job. What a nightmare.
>
> Places I miss most in NYC, like the Chinese noodle joints on Mott
> street - like Hong Fat (sadly gone now), and the basement Wo Hop
> (happily totally unchanged, including almost unchanged 1965 prices) -
> have ambience that extends well into negative territory!
>
> So, all you Noo yawk mavens, tell me where I can get NY-style papaya
> juice when I'm not in Noo Yawk!
> Check it out!
>
> The Wrong Wong lives!

Looks like you've begun posting via the broken Google-Beta system.