werewolf

Default Masa, the most expensive restaurant in New York City

Don't Mess with the Restaurateur

"Masa, the new ridiculously priced Japanese restaurant at the Time
Warner Center, has set another record. According to this week's Time
Out NY, in addition to being the city's priciest spot, the
reservations policy at the 36-seat "den of sushi" asks customers to
enter into a "contractual agreement" that requires diners to pay $100
if they cancel their reservation without giving Masa 48 hours notice.
No-show penalities exist at plenty of NYC restaurants, of course, but
none have ever dabbled in the triple digits. Le Bernardin, for
example, assesses a $50 penalty for people who fail to cancel in 48
hours and Alain Ducasse charges $75, but Ducasse will allow diners to
cancel at any time.

Masa Restaurant review he

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/

ww
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> Don't Mess with the Restaurateur
>
> "Masa, the new ridiculously priced Japanese restaurant at the Time
> Warner Center, has set another record. According to this week's Time
> Out NY, in addition to being the city's priciest spot, the
> reservations policy at the 36-seat "den of sushi" asks customers to
> enter into a "contractual agreement" that requires diners to pay $100
> if they cancel their reservation without giving Masa 48 hours notice.
> No-show penalities exist at plenty of NYC restaurants, of course, but
> none have ever dabbled in the triple digits. Le Bernardin, for
> example, assesses a $50 penalty for people who fail to cancel in 48
> hours and Alain Ducasse charges $75, but Ducasse will allow diners to
> cancel at any time.

Seems I got hit with the very same at the fixed-price dinner at
Aubergine in Newport Beach when attempting to cancel on Saturday
morning. "If I'm paying for the meal whether I attend or not, then I'm
not cancelling after all. Bring the food to my empty table." Man was I
irked.

My wife recovered before 7pm so we went managed to go after all. And
frankly, it was one of the best 20 or so meals we've ever had.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> Don't Mess with the Restaurateur
>
> "Masa, the new ridiculously priced Japanese restaurant at the Time
> Warner Center, has set another record. According to this week's Time
> Out NY, in addition to being the city's priciest spot, the
> reservations policy at the 36-seat "den of sushi" asks customers to
> enter into a "contractual agreement" that requires diners to pay $100
> if they cancel their reservation without giving Masa 48 hours notice.
> No-show penalities exist at plenty of NYC restaurants, of course, but
> none have ever dabbled in the triple digits. Le Bernardin, for
> example, assesses a $50 penalty for people who fail to cancel in 48
> hours and Alain Ducasse charges $75, but Ducasse will allow diners to
> cancel at any time.

Seems I got hit with the very same at the fixed-price dinner at
Aubergine in Newport Beach when attempting to cancel on Saturday
morning. "If I'm paying for the meal whether I attend or not, then I'm
not cancelling after all. Bring the food to my empty table." Man was I
irked.

My wife recovered before 7pm so we went managed to go after all. And
frankly, it was one of the best 20 or so meals we've ever had.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Dan Logcher

werewolf wrote:
> Don't Mess with the Restaurateur
>
> "Masa, the new ridiculously priced Japanese restaurant at the Time
> Warner Center, has set another record. According to this week's Time
> Out NY, in addition to being the city's priciest spot, the
> reservations policy at the 36-seat "den of sushi" asks customers to
> enter into a "contractual agreement" that requires diners to pay $100
> if they cancel their reservation without giving Masa 48 hours notice.
> No-show penalities exist at plenty of NYC restaurants, of course, but
> none have ever dabbled in the triple digits. Le Bernardin, for
> example, assesses a $50 penalty for people who fail to cancel in 48
> hours and Alain Ducasse charges $75, but Ducasse will allow diners to
> cancel at any time.

If you're paying $300 for a meal, $100 for not showing probably isn't
going to bother you much.

--
Dan
F t B

werewolf wrote:
> Don't Mess with the Restaurateur
>
> "Masa, the new ridiculously priced Japanese restaurant at the Time
> Warner Center, has set another record. According to this week's Time
> Out NY, in addition to being the city's priciest spot, the
> reservations policy at the 36-seat "den of sushi" asks customers to
> enter into a "contractual agreement" that requires diners to pay $100
> if they cancel their reservation without giving Masa 48 hours notice.
> No-show penalities exist at plenty of NYC restaurants, of course, but
> none have ever dabbled in the triple digits. Le Bernardin, for
> example, assesses a $50 penalty for people who fail to cancel in 48
> hours and Alain Ducasse charges $75, but Ducasse will allow diners to
> cancel at any time.
>

> Masa Restaurant review he
>
> http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/

Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for two...
While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that great to me.
I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my sushi..

Dan Logcher

F t B wrote:

>>http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/
>>

> Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for two...
> While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that great to me.
> I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my sushi..

Same here, these dishes don't sound all that great. Uni risotto?
Sounds like a waste of good uni to me.

--
Dan
Gerry

In article <eUSsd.325058$9b.129@edtnps84>, F t B
> wrote:

> > Masa Restaurant review he
> >
> > http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/

> Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for two...
> While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that great to me.
> I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my sushi..

I thought yuppie meant young, upwardly-mobile professionals. If
anybody is spending $400 a head on dinner that sounds to me like they
have well arrived.

I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone. But I thought it was worth it. I
also can't imagine what would be so fantastic that I wouldn't feel
screwed by a $400 dollar tab. But I could sure be wrong...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message =
.. .
> In article <eUSsd.325058$9b.129@edtnps84>, F t B
> > wrote:
>=20
> > > Masa Restaurant review he
> > >
> > > http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/

> >=20
> > Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for =

two...
> > While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that =

great to me.=20
> > I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my =

sushi..=20
>=20
> I thought yuppie meant young, upwardly-mobile professionals. If
> anybody is spending $400 a head on dinner that sounds to me like they
> have well arrived.
>=20
> I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
> kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone. But I thought it was worth it. I
> also can't imagine what would be so fantastic that I wouldn't feel
> screwed by a $400 dollar tab. But I could sure be wrong...
>=20

Isn't that where John Lennon use to stay?
Or am I confusing it with someplace else.

Dan Logcher wrote:
> F t B wrote:
> >
> >>http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/
> >>

> > Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for

two...
> > While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that

great to me.
> > I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my

sushi..

> Same here, these dishes don't sound all that great. Uni risotto?
> Sounds like a waste of good uni to me.
>
> --
> Dan

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a New York clip joint to
me. I'll take Sushi Ten in Tucson!

ww

Dan Logcher wrote:
> F t B wrote:
> >
> >>http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/
> >>

> > Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for

two...
> > While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that

great to me.
> > I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my

sushi..

> Same here, these dishes don't sound all that great. Uni risotto?
> Sounds like a waste of good uni to me.
>
> --
> Dan

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a New York clip joint to
me. I'll take Sushi Ten in Tucson!

ww

Oops, sorry about that multiple-posting!
What's going on here, anyway? "Google Groups Beta"?

ww

Oops - sorry about the multiple posting!
What's going on around here, anyway? "Google Groups Beta"?

ww

Gahhh! My appology for multiple posting post even came out twice!
And now it doesn't take twelve hours for a post to appear...

ww

Dan Logcher wrote:
> F t B wrote:
> >
> >>http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food...urant/n_10201/
> >>

> > Gotta love yuppies..willing to drop over $800.00 on dinner for

two...
> > While I'm sure the dishes were tasty, none of them sounded that

great to me.
> > I love foie gras and truffles, but can't imagine them with my

sushi..

> Same here, these dishes don't sound all that great. Uni risotto?
> Sounds like a waste of good uni to me.
>
> --
> Dan

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a New York clip joint to
me. I'll take Sushi Ten in Tucson!

ww

Art

>Oops, sorry about that multiple-posting!

I was starting to think you were going to say "I'll take Sushi Ten in Tucson"
10 times just to enunciate your point.
Ken Blake

In ,
Art > typed:

>>Oops, sorry about that multiple-posting!

> I was starting to think you were going to say "I'll take Sushi
> Ten in
> Tucson" 10 times just to enunciate your point.

That must make it Sushi One Hundred! ;-)

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Gerry

In article > , Musashi
> wrote:

> > I thought yuppie meant young, upwardly-mobile professionals. If
> > anybody is spending $400 a head on dinner that sounds to me like they
> > have well arrived.
> >
> > I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
> > kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone. But I thought it was worth it. I
> > also can't imagine what would be so fantastic that I wouldn't feel
> > screwed by a $400 dollar tab. But I could sure be wrong...

> Isn't that where John Lennon use to stay?
> Or am I confusing it with someplace else.

It is, indeed. They have pictures of John and Yoko in the lobby and
other notables and nobles as well.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, Edvardo
> wrote:

> Almost sounds like an "Iron Chef" challenge - "Our ingredients tonight, uni,
> black truffles, and French pate!!! Allez Cuisine!!!"

I've seen just that and was quite surprised by the creative use of the
stuff.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

Gerry

Concluded: Masa stinks no matter what they're serving, uni, rissoto.
FEH! We hate it! It can't be good--it cost too much money. It's
decor is probably even emetic.

Maybe they'll open an all-you-can-tolerate buffet for $220 or so. You
know, a lunch thing. I'm ready to scoff at that too, and I have a few
FEH's left over.

If the dining room gets gets down to $20 bucks or so, sushi chef's
wearing funny hats and things, it'll be GREAT and we'll eat it up real
nice. The flavor is all in the money--it has an inherently acrid
quality and needs to be used in very tiny amounts. Or at the very least
a modicum of groveling should be thrown in.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message =
.. .
> In article > , Musashi
> > wrote:
>=20
> > > I thought yuppie meant young, upwardly-mobile professionals. If
> > > anybody is spending $400 a head on dinner that sounds to me like =

they
> > > have well arrived.
> > >=20
> > > I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I =

had a
> > > kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone. But I thought it was worth =

it. I
> > > also can't imagine what would be so fantastic that I wouldn't feel
> > > screwed by a $400 dollar tab. But I could sure be wrong...

> >=20
> > Isn't that where John Lennon use to stay?
> > Or am I confusing it with someplace else.

>=20
> It is, indeed. They have pictures of John and Yoko in the lobby and
> other notables and nobles as well.
>=20

Thought so.
BTW, Fujiyas' Karee Raisu (Rice Curry) is suppose be famous nationwide =
(in Japan).

Musashi

=20

> I've heard of uni being used to make sauces, but to serve risotto in
> a Japanese restaurant doesn't sounds for $300. I'd eat that in an
> Italian restaurant for much less..

Exactly - plus they'd know how to make it right!

Italians eat sea urchin too. That's where I used to buy my sea
urchins, in the Italian fish markets on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx,
before the Japanese cut off their supply by buying all the edible sea
urchins up in Maine at high prices and exporting it to Japan.

ww

I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone...

_____________________

Hey, I'd be happy to pay a lot for really great sashimi - chirashi! -
but not for some goof off in a hoity toity New York clip joint making
fashion statements with his ultra-expensive uni!

ww

Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> > I've heard of uni being used to make sauces, but to serve risotto in
> > a Japanese restaurant doesn't sounds for $300. I'd eat that in an
> > Italian restaurant for much less..

> Exactly - plus they'd know how to make it right!

Like the Japanese can't make Italian food? Sure. Actually we continue
to think that the Italian food we get in Shinjuku is some of the best.
Just fabulous. Admittedly it's a little "different" than Italians might
make, but it's not "failing" in it's mimicry or anythin.

> Italians eat sea urchin too. That's where I used to buy my sea
> urchins, in the Italian fish markets on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx,
> before the Japanese cut off their supply by buying all the edible sea
> urchins up in Maine at high prices and exporting it to Japan.

Squid too, don't forget. I use to eat scungilli fra diavalo at a place
in Dallas many years ago that was truly a delight.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had a
> kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone...
>
> Hey, I'd be happy to pay a lot for really great sashimi - chirashi! -
> but not for some goof off in a hoity toity New York clip joint making
> fashion statements with his ultra-expensive uni!

Well at Fuji-Ya it was in a large tatami room with ambience like you
can't buy at any price elsewhere. There's only one Fuji-Ya, serving as
an Inn since the 1700's. The service was exceptional. Each dish was a
delight to the eye and palate. It was amazing by any culinary and/or
experiential analysis.

I've not been to Masa, so the idea of "hoity toity" (that means too
expensive, right?) and the concept of "clip joint"--I haven't heard
anybody say that. All anyone seems to know is that it is damned
expensive and they aren't blowing reservations off--and apparently will
punish you in the same way expensive French restaurants do in Newport
Beach, and a place or two in Los Angeles too.

I don't know how all these assumptions got started. Masayoshi Takayama
may be any number of things including a wife-beater for all I know. I'm
not sure the rationale for "goof-off", though.

And I'm sure no one could possibly rationalize the expense. Having to
make private air-mail deliveries, paying NYC overhead, having your
stemware custom made, etc. Me, I've only even SEEN halfbeak once, it
was excellent. But I've never seen it like this, and assume it takes
some skill:

<http://www.kateigaho.com/int/jun04/ny-masa.html>

But what the hell--what say we torch the place as a group, on confused
principle? :-)

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Ken Blake

In ,
Gerry > typed:

>> Italians eat sea urchin too. That's where I used to buy my
>> sea
>> urchins, in the Italian fish markets on Arthur Avenue in the
>> Bronx,
>> before the Japanese cut off their supply by buying all the
>> edible sea
>> urchins up in Maine at high prices and exporting it to Japan.

> Squid too, don't forget. I use to eat scungilli fra diavalo at
> a place
> in Dallas many years ago that was truly a delight.

Scungilli, good as it is, isn't squid. It's conch. Italians have
several names for squid and squid-like creatures. The name you
must commonly see in the US in calamari, but others are calamai,
calmaretti, seppie, and seppioline.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Ken Blake > typed:

> In . com,
> Musashi > typed:

>> How is sea urchin eaten, used in cooking, in Italy?

> To tell the truth, it was long-enough ago that I don't remember
> for sure.

Thinking about this some more, I think it was raw.

"Musashi" > wrote:
> []
> How is sea urchin eaten, used in cooking, in Italy?

Calabrese: With EVOO, garlic, parsley and peperoncini over pasta, salt to
taste.

Or just roast them with some scungili on the hot rocks of a fire on the
beach, scoop them out and sprinkle them with a little salt and
pepperoncini, while chugging from a jug of Chianti! Mmm mmm!

--
Nick. Remember Pearl Harbor, 7:55 AM, 7 December, 1941

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

"Ken Blake" > wrote:
> []
> Scungilli, good as it is, isn't squid. It's conch.[]

Ken is, once again, correct. Scungilli are sea-snails. Much better than
those French whatchamacallems. IMHO

--
Nick. Remember Pearl Harbor, 7:55 AM, 7 December, 1941

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Gerry

In article >, Ken Blake
> wrote:

> In , Gerry
> > typed:
>
> >> Italians eat sea urchin too. That's where I used to buy my sea
> >> urchins, in the Italian fish markets on Arthur Avenue in the
> >> Bronx, before the Japanese cut off their supply by buying all the
> >> edible sea urchins up in Maine at high prices and exporting it to
> >> Japan.

> > Squid too, don't forget. I use to eat scungilli fra diavalo at a
> > place in Dallas many years ago that was truly a delight.

> Scungilli, good as it is, isn't squid. It's conch. Italians have
> several names for squid and squid-like creatures. The name you must
> commonly see in the US in calamari, but others are calamai,
> calmaretti, seppie, and seppioline.

Ah, again with the terminology. Good to know, though I'm not sure if
they really used conch/scungilli at the restaurant in question. When I
asked what scungilli was they told me it was squid.

Which might well begin the discussion over whether/how squid and
cuttlefish are the same thing...

Gerry wrote:
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
> > I never thought I'd find anything worthy of $120 a head until I had

> > kaiseki dinner in Fuji-Ya in Hakone...
> >
> > Hey, I'd be happy to pay a lot for really great sashimi -

chirashi! -
> > but not for some goof off in a hoity toity New York clip joint

making
> > fashion statements with his ultra-expensive uni!

> Well at Fuji-Ya it was in a large tatami room with ambience like you
> can't buy at any price elsewhere. There's only one Fuji-Ya, serving

as
> an Inn since the 1700's. The service was exceptional. Each dish was

> delight to the eye and palate. It was amazing by any culinary and/or
> experiential analysis.
>
> I've not been to Masa, so the idea of "hoity toity" (that means too
> expensive, right?) and the concept of "clip joint"--I haven't heard
> anybody say that. All anyone seems to know is that it is damned
> expensive and they aren't blowing reservations off--and apparently

will
> punish you in the same way expensive French restaurants do in Newport
> Beach, and a place or two in Los Angeles too.
>
> I don't know how all these assumptions got started. Masayoshi

Takayama
> may be any number of things including a wife-beater for all I know.

I'm
> not sure the rationale for "goof-off", though.
>
> And I'm sure no one could possibly rationalize the expense. Having to
> make private air-mail deliveries, paying NYC overhead, having your
> stemware custom made, etc. Me, I've only even SEEN halfbeak once, it
> was excellent. But I've never seen it like this, and assume it takes
> some skill:
>
> <http://www.kateigaho.com/int/jun04/ny-masa.html>
>
> But what the hell--what say we torch the place as a group, on

confused
> principle? :-)
>
> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard

Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese

food.

> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro

and
> reference to sake.

Well, if you cheap bums would get together and chip in and buy me a
Christams present, namely a couple of gift certificates to Masa that I
could use the next time I'm in NYC, then maybe I wouldn't be so jealous
and bitter and maybe I'd even stop making stoopid comments about the
joint!

Will it be OK if I go there in my usual jeans and t-shirt, or will I
have to rent a tux and a top hat?

ww

Ken Blake

In ,
Gerry > typed:

> In article >, Ken Blake
> > wrote:

>> Scungilli, good as it is, isn't squid. It's conch. Italians
>> have
>> several names for squid and squid-like creatures. The name you
>> must
>> commonly see in the US in calamari, but others are calamai,
>> calmaretti, seppie, and seppioline.

> Ah, again with the terminology. Good to know, though I'm not
> sure if
> they really used conch/scungilli at the restaurant in question.
> When
> I asked what scungilli was they told me it was squid.
>
> Which might well begin the discussion over whether/how squid
> and
> cuttlefish are the same thing...

I sidestepped that in my previous post by saying "squid and
*squid-like* creatures." ;-)

The Italian "calam..." forms are usually translated as "squid,"
and the "sepp..." forms as "cuttlefish."

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Gerry

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> Well, if you cheap bums would get together and chip in and buy me a
> Christams present, namely a couple of gift certificates to Masa that I
> could use the next time I'm in NYC, then maybe I wouldn't be so jealous
> and bitter and maybe I'd even stop making stoopid comments about the
> joint!
>
> Will it be OK if I go there in my usual jeans and t-shirt, or will I
> have to rent a tux and a top hat?

Their attire demands change seasonally. Expect to be shown the door if
you don't bring at least a couple of changes of clothes.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

"Their attire demands change seasonally. Expect to be shown the door if
you don't bring at least a couple of changes of clothes."

What if I just brought a spare pair of sneakers in a sack? Would that
be OK?

And don't try to trick me by buying me a gift certificate to that low
brow Masa II dump next door! I hate rubbing shoulders with the hoi
poloi.

I'll just ask the guy for a heaping bowl of straight uni and skip the
pasta and the Italian rice and all the fancy stuff.
That's Christmas, not "Christams".

ww