H. Lee Selassie

Default Ig Nobel Prize for Herring Research

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

The 2004 Ig Nobel Prize in Biology was shared by researchers

who found that herring communicate by farting. I know some

species of herring are used for sushi; I'm just not sure how

the farting figures in that.

http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html#ig2004

Ben Wilson of the University of British Columbia, Lawrence

Dill of Simon Fraser University [Canada], Robert Batty of the

Scottish Association for Marine Science, Magnus Whalberg of the

University of Aarhus [Denmark], and Hakan Westerberg of Sweden's

National Board of Fisheries, for showing that herrings apparently

communicate by farting.

REFERENCE: "Sounds Produced by Herring (Clupea harengus) Bubble

Release," Magnus Wahlberg and Håkan Westerberg, Aquatic Living

Resources, vol. 16, 2003, pp. 271-5.

REFERENCE: "Pacific and Atlantic Herring Produce Burst Pulse

Sounds," Ben Wilson, Robert S. Batty and Lawrence M. Dill,

Biology Letters, vol. 271, 2003, pp. S95-S97.

(Research articles available via links at the Ig Nobel page.)

Musashi

"H. Lee Selassie" > wrote =
in message ...
> NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
> No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
>=20
> The 2004 Ig Nobel Prize in Biology was shared by researchers
>=20
> who found that herring communicate by farting. I know some=20
>=20
> species of herring are used for sushi; I'm just not sure how=20
>=20
> the farting figures in that.
>=20

Herring are not used for sushi.
Herring roe with Konbu is used.
But thanks for the information.

Musashi

"H. Lee Selassie" > wrote =
in message ...
> NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
> No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
>=20
> The 2004 Ig Nobel Prize in Biology was shared by researchers
>=20
> who found that herring communicate by farting. I know some=20
>=20
> species of herring are used for sushi; I'm just not sure how=20
>=20
> the farting figures in that.
>=20

Herring are not used for sushi.
Herring roe with Konbu is used.
But thanks for the information.

Musashi

"H. Lee Selassie" > wrote =
in message ...
> NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
> No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
>=20
> The 2004 Ig Nobel Prize in Biology was shared by researchers
>=20
> who found that herring communicate by farting. I know some=20
>=20
> species of herring are used for sushi; I'm just not sure how=20
>=20
> the farting figures in that.
>=20

Herring are not used for sushi.
Herring roe with Konbu is used.
But thanks for the information.

I'M RECEIVING THE NOBEL PEACH PRIZE Chief Thracian[_3_] Vegan 2 09-02-2011 07:37 AM
Nobel Aborigines Protest ''australia Day'' Shame PLucas[_11_] General Cooking 1 27-01-2011 02:24 AM
A Prize The Cook Preserving 0 16-11-2005 06:50 PM
prize Ginny Sourdough 0 02-10-2004 01:42 AM
What a prize swooper Wine 3 25-12-2003 08:06 PM