Brenda

Default AYCE or buffet sushi in Dallas area - recommendations?

Hi!

My family and I will be in Dallas for almost a week at the end of the
month (for a convention). We loooooove sushi and would like to try at
least one or two places. Since we have differing tastes, we have the
best luck at buffet-style, but the guys can really pack it away, so
anyplace with an ayce deal is good. LOL (We're already planning to
try the Todai in Plano, since we enjoy the one here in Chicagoland.)

Any and all recommendations will be much appreciated! TIA.

Brenda
Gerry

In article > , Brenda
> wrote:

> My family and I will be in Dallas for almost a week at the end of the
> month (for a convention). We loooooove sushi and would like to try at
> least one or two places. Since we have differing tastes, we have the
> best luck at buffet-style, but the guys can really pack it away, so
> anyplace with an ayce deal is good. LOL (We're already planning to
> try the Todai in Plano, since we enjoy the one here in Chicagoland.)

This proably doesn't suit your needs, but I'm obliged to share the info
anyway:

I do business in Dallas for a week or two every year and am usually
appalled at how large the city has gotten without more excellent
Japanese restaurants. I do hope someone corrects my thinking with some
excellent new recommendations.

Certainly there are myriad places to get good quality sushi, well
prepared, with good sevice. Little innovation, and very little in
extended traditional foods.

So anymore, I always eat at:

Hanasho Japanese Restaurant
2938 N Belt Line Rd
Irving, TX 75062
972-258-0250

It's just a few blocks north of Hwy183, across the street (east) from
the Irvine Mall. Exceptional.

They always have some blackboarded curiousities that one doesn't see
much in Japanese restaurants outside SoCal (in my experience). There
are always a fair share of Japanese there; I believe a large Japanese
corporation is nearby.

PUSH the sushi chef, as they are use to skiddish gaijin. I watched them
cow him all night long. If you get them going they're great.

When there a few years ago, I ordered stuff off the top of my head and
they had most of it: kohada, ankimo and just on an off-chance I
wondered if they could do me a ume-loaded yaki-onigiri (a grilled rice
ball with ume-boshi (bitter "plum" stuff) inside. They did! But after
I ordered that the manager came over and felt compelled to find out
just who the hell I was and where I knew the food. I assume he
expected me to say I worked/lived in Japanese, which I had yet to
visit.

Anyway, worth a trip even if it doesn't satisfy the
heavy-volume/low-price needs. There's always Sumo or one of those
places.

--
A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All anybody needs to know about plumbing the depths of Japanese
wasabijack

Hi Brenda:
Sorry this is very late. If you plan to visit Dallas again, as far as AYCE
sushi buffet goes, I usually prefer Tokyo One. It is located on the corner
of Beltline and Midway. The sushi/sashimi is OK, but like you said, if
variety is what you're looking for, this place does offer much. They're on
the web as well.
Jack.

"Brenda" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi!
>
> My family and I will be in Dallas for almost a week at the end of the
> month (for a convention). We loooooove sushi and would like to try at
> least one or two places. Since we have differing tastes, we have the
> best luck at buffet-style, but the guys can really pack it away, so
> anyplace with an ayce deal is good. LOL (We're already planning to
> try the Todai in Plano, since we enjoy the one here in Chicagoland.)
>
> Any and all recommendations will be much appreciated! TIA.
>
> Brenda

Gerry

In article <fbqVb.39204$L_4.13329@okepread01>, wasabijack
> wrote:

> Sorry this is very late. If you plan to visit Dallas again, as far as AYCE
> sushi buffet goes, I usually prefer Tokyo One. It is located on the corner
> of Beltline and Midway. The sushi/sashimi is OK, but like you said, if
> variety is what you're looking for, this place does offer much. They're on
> the web as well.

Isn't that where the old "Mr. Sushi" use to be? That's where I really
began eating sushi--not for a curious "adventure" but for a way to get
full at lunch.

--
A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All anybody needs to know about plumbing the depths of Japanese
food; a cuisine far more vast than sushi.
Christopher Browne

Oops! Gerry > was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> In article <fbqVb.39204$L_4.13329@okepread01>, wasabijack
> > wrote:
>> Sorry this is very late. If you plan to visit Dallas again, as far
>> as AYCE sushi buffet goes, I usually prefer Tokyo One. It is
>> located on the corner of Beltline and Midway. The sushi/sashimi is
>> OK, but like you said, if variety is what you're looking for, this
>> place does offer much. They're on the web as well.

> Isn't that where the old "Mr. Sushi" use to be? That's where I
> really began eating sushi--not for a curious "adventure" but for a
> way to get full at lunch.

No, "Mr Sushi" was much closer to 635, just a couple blocks away from
the Addison Tollway. That was actually the first sushi place I ever
went to.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html

Gerry

In article >, Christopher
Browne > wrote:

> > Isn't that where the old "Mr. Sushi" use to be? That's where I
> > really began eating sushi--not for a curious "adventure" but for a
> > way to get full at lunch.

> No, "Mr Sushi" was much closer to 635, just a couple blocks away from
> the Addison Tollway. That was actually the first sushi place I ever
> went to.

Been to long since I was in Dallas... or not long enough. :-)

Seems Mr. Sushi sure made things assible to us though, eh!

--
A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All anybody needs to know about plumbing the depths of Japanese
food; a cuisine far more vast than sushi.

Non-Buffet Chinese Restaurants in Dallas Damaeus[_3_] Restaurants 7 29-11-2010 04:31 PM
AYCE Sushi in Baltimore rboehme Sushi 0 15-06-2006 03:06 PM
Instant yeast in Dallas area Mark Shaw General Cooking 4 09-12-2005 05:17 AM
Another AYCE sushi place. James Sushi 2 13-12-2004 11:25 PM
Dallas (TX) Area Restaurants? jmcquown General Cooking 46 27-03-2004 10:02 PM