Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Newbie Starter Question

I've actually had a Dickens of a time trying to find a relatively cheap
local source for rye berries and hard spring wheat berries.

I finally thought to ask at my local Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck, whatever
-- they're pretty much ubiquitous in large metropolitan areas in North
America) whether they could special order a 50 lb bag or a 25 lb bag for me
and ... they could! Good price, too. 59 cents per pound for organic hard
spring wheat berries , 69 cents per pound for organic rye berries and 79
cents for organic soft white wheat berries.

That said, I've always had great luck with King Arthur Flour's Organic Whole
Wheat Flour. I can't validate how fresh it is, but it certainly seems
fresher than any other brand I've used.

Of course, I live in New England, and King Arthur is like our official
regional flour or something, so it just may fly off the shelves faster than
other brands here.

--
Jeff Miller