Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Forgot how to feed my starter!

I have a starter that has been sitting in my fridge for about 6 weeks.
I have totally forgotten to keep feeding it. I want to use it next
weekend when I have company. I have about 1 cup starter, but I have
forgotten what to do to feed. I have taken it out of the fridge, but do
I add my flour water, then let it sit? Or do I throw away 1/2, then add
flour/water? If I add the flour water to the whole cup, do I throw away
1/2 before I put it back in the fridge? I guess I have just not gotten
the routine down yet, and I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks a
lot. Jane

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 25 Jun 2006 16:13:50 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I have a starter that has been sitting in my fridge for about 6 weeks.
>I have totally forgotten to keep feeding it. I want to use it next
>weekend when I have company. I have about 1 cup starter, but I have
>forgotten what to do to feed. I have taken it out of the fridge, but do
>I add my flour water, then let it sit? Or do I throw away 1/2, then add
>flour/water? If I add the flour water to the whole cup, do I throw away
>1/2 before I put it back in the fridge? I guess I have just not gotten
>the routine down yet, and I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks a
>lot. Jane

Hi Jane,

Starters are very forgiving. Any of the things you described
above would work just fine.

The only real difference between the methods you mention is
in the amount of starter you would have left. Obviously, if
you keep adding flour and water, you would have more and
more with each cycle of feeding. If, for some reason, that's
what you want, then do it that way. If you prefer to have
less in storage, toss out some (and it need not be half, the
starter does not remember such things) and add the flour and
water to what you have left.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Kenneth" > wrote in message

> Starters are very forgiving.

I guess so. I know everybody says dry your starter before you freeze it if
you want a back up, but I just had to see for myself. I froze about 1/2 cup
of starter feeding and waiting for a little activity. Four months later I
saw it in the back of the freezer, and took it out to play. The first day or
so it was pretty sluggish, but it woke up on the second day pretty well, and
now on the third is extremely vigourous. This starter Stu Silverstien sent
me, I believe he makes his own, and it wasnt this explosive when I first
used it. After a thick feeding it more than triples in foamy volume in the
time my OT doubles!

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:44:05 -0400, "hutchndi"
> wrote:

>I know everybody says dry your starter before you freeze it if
>you want a back up, but I just had to see for myself.

Howdy,

There are those who claim that the yeasts do better than the
LB in terms of tolerating freezing...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I always keep my starter in the refrigerator for approx. 2 to 3 weeks at a
time as I rotate between small jars of starter. I usually take it out the
day before I bake bread and feed it in the morning and at night. Then again
early the next morning a couple of hours before mixing the dough. It always
performs the same and lately even better than normal. I do pour any black
liquid off of the top and never stir it back in the starter. Six weeks does
not sound like that much time to me. Maybe just feed the starter a couple
of days ahead. I always feed about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour at a time so I
will have my usual 1 1/2 cups available for the dough and a tiny bit left to
put back in 'storage'.

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have a starter that has been sitting in my fridge for about 6 weeks.
> I have totally forgotten to keep feeding it. I want to use it next
> weekend when I have company. I have about 1 cup starter, but I have
> forgotten what to do to feed. I have taken it out of the fridge, but do
> I add my flour water, then let it sit? Or do I throw away 1/2, then add
> flour/water? If I add the flour water to the whole cup, do I throw away
> 1/2 before I put it back in the fridge? I guess I have just not gotten
> the routine down yet, and I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks a
> lot. Jane

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks for all the suggestions! I fed the starter yesterday, and let it
sit out all night. It is definately still alive. I will save some to
use for bread today, and put the rest back in the refrigerator. Jane

BigJohn wrote:
> I always keep my starter in the refrigerator for approx. 2 to 3 weeks at a
> time as I rotate between small jars of starter. I usually take it out the
> day before I bake bread and feed it in the morning and at night. Then again
> early the next morning a couple of hours before mixing the dough. It always
> performs the same and lately even better than normal. I do pour any black
> liquid off of the top and never stir it back in the starter. Six weeks does
> not sound like that much time to me. Maybe just feed the starter a couple
> of days ahead. I always feed about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour at a time so I
> will have my usual 1 1/2 cups available for the dough and a tiny bit left to
> put back in 'storage'.
>

> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >I have a starter that has been sitting in my fridge for about 6 weeks.
> > I have totally forgotten to keep feeding it. I want to use it next
> > weekend when I have company. I have about 1 cup starter, but I have
> > forgotten what to do to feed. I have taken it out of the fridge, but do
> > I add my flour water, then let it sit? Or do I throw away 1/2, then add
> > flour/water? If I add the flour water to the whole cup, do I throw away
> > 1/2 before I put it back in the fridge? I guess I have just not gotten
> > the routine down yet, and I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks a
> > lot. Jane

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

BigJohn wrote:
> I always keep my starter in the refrigerator for approx. 2 to 3 weeks at a
> time as.d about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour at a time so I
> will have my usual 1 1/2 cups available for the dough and a tiny bit left to
> put back in 'storage'.
> .

HI BigJohn,

I think on the whole you're right. But for those of us that have one of
those starters that, perhaps through neglect, do some odd things I'd
err on the side of caution and feed for a few days just to make sure. I
sometimes get a real stink from one of my starters if I haven't used it
in a while. It's like rotten liver. Really not nice and you wouldn't
want to bake with it. So I put it through a few good refreshments
first. It doesn't take much effort nor flour and that way you know
you're going to have a good, clean starter. For those that only ever
use one or two starters it doesn't matter you don't have to worry.
That's pretty much me these days too.

TG