Inferno

Default Yeast Nutients- To feed or not to feed

Well, I am completing my forth batch of wine and I am still confused on when
and what yeast nutrients to add. In the first three batches of wine I just
ran through the instructions the wine store gave me and I ended us with
three wines that tasted very similar, save the fact that they were worlds
apart (literally) - Spanish grape Porto, Canadian Icewine style Riesling,
and a California Merlot... The commonality between the three was the yeast
used LALVIN 1118, fining agents and a lack of attention. Blasphemous it
sounds...I just fermented the juice, added package #2, then filtered and
bottled the wine...The whole process took about a month... Strangely enough,
I ended up with is a bunch of wine that taste the same...

Now that I am giving the juice the respect is deserves (and I have more than
enough wine for when we have guests...Just kidding...;o) I want to make sure
my wine doesn't taste like "home made." Based on all my reading and
experience I am on the right track, however, when it comes to feeding the
yeast I am not sure about the nutrients.. Does anyone have recipe that they
go by that they feel works well? Or any suggestion on which nutrients are
better then others... Any help would be appreciated...

And thanks again to everyone who have been so helpful!!

Happy Holidays,

Shawn

P.S. One more question, does anyone have any suggestions on what the best
fining agents are?

Joe

Inferno said on 12/21/2004 11:14 AM:
> Well, I am completing my forth batch of wine and I am still confused on when
> and what yeast nutrients to add. In the first three batches of wine I just
> ran through the instructions the wine store gave me and I ended us with
> three wines that tasted very similar, save the fact that they were worlds
> apart (literally) - Spanish grape Porto, Canadian Icewine style Riesling,
> and a California Merlot... The commonality between the three was the yeast
> used LALVIN 1118, fining agents and a lack of attention. Blasphemous it
> sounds...I just fermented the juice, added package #2, then filtered and
> bottled the wine...The whole process took about a month... Strangely enough,
> I ended up with is a bunch of wine that taste the same...
>
> Now that I am giving the juice the respect is deserves (and I have more than
> enough wine for when we have guests...Just kidding...;o) I want to make sure
> my wine doesn't taste like "home made." Based on all my reading and
> experience I am on the right track, however, when it comes to feeding the
> yeast I am not sure about the nutrients.. Does anyone have recipe that they
> go by that they feel works well? Or any suggestion on which nutrients are
> better then others... Any help would be appreciated...
>
> And thanks again to everyone who have been so helpful!!
>
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Shawn
>
> P.S. One more question, does anyone have any suggestions on what the best
> fining agents are?

If you're making kit wines, it's probably best to follow the kit
instructions exactly.

Otherwise, yeast nutrient is usually added right at the start,
just before adding the yeast. Nutrient should affect how well
the wine ferments but I don't think it affects the taste at all.

How old are your first 3 batches? If they are still young, it
may take time for them to develop their individual flavors. The
flavor really does change with aging.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Joe

Inferno said on 12/22/2004 10:49 AM:
> As for my batches...The Port is going on 4 years and I only have one bottle
> left, which I will open next year...So, I am not sure if it is aging
> gracefully...The Merlot is 3 years old and I opened one of the two bottles I
> have left last week and its bouquet was less then desiarable...It still had
> that home made yeasty aroma, as for the taste, it was paletable but not
> enjoyable...The colour was also a little brown...Which isn't a good sign...
> The Icewine style wine is 6 months old and has the same bouquet and taste as
> it did the day I bottle it...And to be honest, I know you cannot make a make
> a Mercedes from a VW...But it should at least taste like Riesling?? The wine
> doesn't even vaguely taste like Riesling... Anyway, my guests always love
> it..So, I have something to serve after dinner...
>
> The biggest flaw I find with the home made wine I've tasted is the
> "yeasty taste" common in a lot all that I've tasted (Albeit, not that
> many)...For example, I just tried a one year old Zin that a buddy made at
> one of those "brew shops" and it has that same fruity/yeast aroma and taste?
> Why do you think it has that taste? Is it that lack of bulk again?
>
> The juice/must I get is all fresh imported from all parts of the world,
> and they are not from concentrate.. Until now I was suspect that the juice
> was ALL one type, packed with different labels, however, my Chardonnay
> actually taste like Chard, so I am starting to think that it is the process
> they advise you to follow that causes the problems ie: one type of yeast for
> all wines, they're own solutions for sulphiting and fining...As well as,
> there quick to bottle practice... Not once was I ever told about yeast
> nutrients, PH, TA, cold stabilizing and oak aging.... Perhaps this is why my
> end product is ok...rather than GREAT...
>
> Back tot he nutrients...Do you have a recommendation on what type of
> nutrients to use?
>
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Shawn

Ok, so lack of aging doesn't sound like the problem. I'm not
really sure what else to suggest but something does sound wrong.
I've never noticed a yeasty taste or aroma in my finished wines.

I don't have much experience with grape wines, I make mostly
'country wines'. But give us some more details about what your
process is, and maybe someone here can help. I'm still not
sure if you're doing kit wines at home, or using a 'brew shop'
and following their instructions. For some wines, yeast nutrient
isn't even necessary - its used a lot in some country wines to
make up for the lack of natural nutrients, but my understanding
is that some grape wines have the right balance of nutrients not
to need anything extra. Anyway, for my country wines, I just
use what my local shop stocks - it's made by LD Carlson, and the
label just says 'Yeast Nutrient' - I don't think it's anything
special.

Post some details about your brewing process, and maybe other can
help...

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/
http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

Joe

> [...]

I've never noticed a yeasty taste or aroma in my finished wines.

I don't have much experience with grape wines, I make mostly
'country wines'. But give us some more details about what your
process is, and maybe someone here can help. I'm still not
sure if you're doing kit wines at home, or using a 'brew shop'
and following their instructions. For some wines, yeast nutrient
isn't even necessary - its used a lot in some country wines to
make up for the lack of natural nutrients, but my understanding
is that some grape wines have the right balance of nutrients not
to need anything extra. Anyway, for my country wines, I just
use what my local shop stocks - it's made by LD Carlson, and the
label just says 'Yeast Nutrient' - I don't think it's anything
special.

Post some details about your brewing process, and maybe other can

Inferno

Well, Joe..It looks like I solved the mystery on my wine... It seems to be
the juices and musts I've been buying locally are very low in PH and high in
TA.. Plus what amazes me the most is the place where I get my juice/must
doesn't carry any buffers or testing equipment ... Ok, so now what? I came
to this conclusion when I noticed the same aroma (acidy-yeast) with my new
Chardonnay, and as it turns out the PH is very low and the TA is very
high... I am in the process of trying to fix the problem with my Chard. (see
my previous posts,) and I would like to prevent this problem in the
future...Does anyone have any advise on what is the best product to use to
increase the PH prior to primary? I have a fresh batch of Cab. Sov, Cab.
Franc and a Merlot arriving next week and if I notice the same problems with
the must I would really like to resolve it before I begin...

Thanks again,

Shawn

"Joe" > wrote in message
> [...]

> I've never noticed a yeasty taste or aroma in my finished wines.
>
> I don't have much experience with grape wines, I make mostly
> 'country wines'. But give us some more details about what your
> process is, and maybe someone here can help. I'm still not
> sure if you're doing kit wines at home, or using a 'brew shop'
> and following their instructions. For some wines, yeast nutrient
> isn't even necessary - its used a lot in some country wines to
> make up for the lack of natural nutrients, but my understanding
> is that some grape wines have the right balance of nutrients not
> to need anything extra. Anyway, for my country wines, I just
> use what my local shop stocks - it's made by LD Carlson, and the
> label just says 'Yeast Nutrient' - I don't think it's anything
> special.
>
> Post some details about your brewing process, and maybe other can

Inferno

"Joe" > wrote in message
> [...]

> I've never noticed a yeasty taste or aroma in my finished wines.
>
> I don't have much experience with grape wines, I make mostly
> 'country wines'. But give us some more details about what your
> process is, and maybe someone here can help. I'm still not
> sure if you're doing kit wines at home, or using a 'brew shop'
> and following their instructions. For some wines, yeast nutrient
> isn't even necessary - its used a lot in some country wines to
> make up for the lack of natural nutrients, but my understanding
> is that some grape wines have the right balance of nutrients not
> to need anything extra. Anyway, for my country wines, I just
> use what my local shop stocks - it's made by LD Carlson, and the
> label just says 'Yeast Nutrient' - I don't think it's anything
> special.
>
> Post some details about your brewing process, and maybe other can

William Frazier

Shawn - Tom's advice is correct. You can also go to www.piwine.com for
supplies and testing equipment. Also, call them up and talk about your
wine. They are very helpful...just like the winemakers on r.c.w.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Inferno" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]

>> I've never noticed a yeasty taste or aroma in my finished wines.
>>
>> I don't have much experience with grape wines, I make mostly
>> 'country wines'. But give us some more details about what your
>> process is, and maybe someone here can help. I'm still not
>> sure if you're doing kit wines at home, or using a 'brew shop'
>> and following their instructions. For some wines, yeast nutrient
>> isn't even necessary - its used a lot in some country wines to
>> make up for the lack of natural nutrients, but my understanding
>> is that some grape wines have the right balance of nutrients not
>> to need anything extra. Anyway, for my country wines, I just
>> use what my local shop stocks - it's made by LD Carlson, and the
>> label just says 'Yeast Nutrient' - I don't think it's anything
>> special.
>>
>> Post some details about your brewing process, and maybe other can

William Frazier

Shawn - Tom's advice is correct. You can also go to www.piwine.com for
supplies and testing equipment. Also, call them up and talk about your
wine. They are very helpful...just like the winemakers on r.c.w.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Inferno" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]

>> I've never noticed a yeasty taste or aroma in my finished wines.
>>
>> I don't have much experience with grape wines, I make mostly
>> 'country wines'. But give us some more details about what your
>> process is, and maybe someone here can help. I'm still not
>> sure if you're doing kit wines at home, or using a 'brew shop'
>> and following their instructions. For some wines, yeast nutrient
>> isn't even necessary - its used a lot in some country wines to
>> make up for the lack of natural nutrients, but my understanding
>> is that some grape wines have the right balance of nutrients not
>> to need anything extra. Anyway, for my country wines, I just
>> use what my local shop stocks - it's made by LD Carlson, and the
>> label just says 'Yeast Nutrient' - I don't think it's anything
>> special.
>>
>> Post some details about your brewing process, and maybe other can

infernot

Done! I ordered some Potassium Bicarbonate. I will also give them a
ring next week to chat about my wine...Thanks a lot William you've been
very helpful!

Now that I have your attention... I guess I will add another question
to the thred.. Is Pot. Bicarb. also good in pre-treating the juice
prior to fermentation?

Cheers,

Shawn

Joe Sallustio

If this is a kit wine, those acid levels are odd, they usually balance
everything before you get it.

If the Chardonnay came from a kit, why don't you remeasure, but this
time make sure you degas the sample first. Just put the sample in a
microwave and heat it until it just starts to boil. Make sure you have
calibrated the pH meter and that your sodium hydroxide is the normality
stated, you can use potassium acid phalate for that. piwine has all of
that too, I get a lot of stuff from them. (There is a pH meter FAQ on
RCW or I can email it to you if you would like.)

The way I prepare a sample for acid measurement follows:

* measure out 50 ml,
* boil and cool back down.
* add distilled water to make it back to ml if necessary
Then measure with calibrated equipment.

Joe

infernot

Thanks guys...

To answer your question... The Chardonnay was from juice and when I
tested it prior to fermentation it was fine...
Tom also suggested retesting, however, I wanted to wait until the
primary was over... I also think its a good idea to retest.. If I
understand I should boil out the CO2 and test the TA using the PH
meter?

I also did a Chromotography test yesterday I will let you all in on the
findings once the paper is dry..

Cheers,

Shawn

Joe Sallustio

Yes, retest when it's finished. You can use the same de-gased sample
for both the TA and pH measurements. Degas even if it looks still.
Joe

Feed Lot Brooklyn1 General Cooking 44 28-03-2021 11:31 PM
Feed a cold James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 39 17-01-2014 04:28 AM
Feed the Animals Sum Day they Just may Feed You Catfood Chef General Cooking 1 21-05-2011 01:24 AM
How many will this feed? Chemo the Clown General Cooking 14 31-10-2010 12:33 AM
Feed me usual suspect Barbecue 4 20-02-2004 08:55 AM