Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Grain Mill choice?

I'm in need of replacing my beloved "Marathon Uni-Mill," destroyed in a
kitchen fire. I see that machine on the Bay place from time to time, but
I'm wondering about other options. "Magic Mill" seems to show up too, and
ISTR their bread machine mentioned here.
I basically need the mill for making the coarse-ground ingredients for
Poilane bread, and hopefully to get further afield as my carb budget
allows.
An aside: What kind of cruel cosmic joke is it that when I get interested
in making sourdough, and have some pretty good results, that carbs are no
longer my friend, and have to be rationed? It's a good excuse to share...

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Gary Woods wrote:
> I'm in need of replacing my beloved "Marathon Uni-Mill," destroyed in a
> kitchen fire. I see that machine on the Bay place from time to time, but
> I'm wondering about other options. "Magic Mill" seems to show up too, and
> ISTR their bread machine mentioned here.
> I basically need the mill for making the coarse-ground ingredients for
> Poilane bread, and hopefully to get further afield as my carb budget
> allows.
> An aside: What kind of cruel cosmic joke is it that when I get interested
> in making sourdough, and have some pretty good results, that carbs are no
> longer my friend, and have to be rationed? It's a good excuse to share...
>

> Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
> Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Gary, have been using a "magic mill" with a 3/4 hp motor and stones for
the past 30+ years and the only problem was when the wife used some 'not
so dry corn' and I had to use a wire brush to clean the stones, that was
15 years ago and we use it 2-3 times a week for milling our wheat for
bread and other items.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Norvin > wrote:

>Gary, have been using a "magic mill" with a 3/4 hp motor and stones for
>the past 30+ years and the only problem was when the wife used some 'not
>so dry corn' and I had to use a wire brush to clean the stones,

I see a couple of MM models offered; does the stone one have steel cutters
in the center of the stones, or is it straight stones?
The main problem with any of these is the shipping...

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 4/24/06, Gary Woods > wrote:

> I'm in need of replacing my beloved "Marathon Uni-Mill," destroyed in a
> kitchen fire. I see that machine on the Bay place from time to time, but
> I'm wondering about other options. "Magic Mill" seems to show up too, and
> ISTR their bread machine mentioned here.
> I basically need the mill for making the coarse-ground ingredients for
> Poilane bread, and hopefully to get further afield as my carb budget
> allows.

If you are looking for coarsely ground grains, avoid the micronizer based
units. The Magic Mill II and III are both micronizer units. The older
Magic Mill uses stones to grind grain and is adjustable over a wider range.
Micronizers tend to adjust from very fine to talcum powder.

There are debates, but my own feeling is that the micronizers tend to
produce more damaged starch and the flour from them doesn't produce as good
a bread as other kinds of mills.

If you can't find a stone based Magic Mill (I saw several on eBay today), I
suggest that you look for a Retsel, or another stone or steel wheel mill.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Gary Woods wrote:
> Norvin > wrote:
>

>>Gary, have been using a "magic mill" with a 3/4 hp motor and stones for
>>the past 30+ years and the only problem was when the wife used some 'not
>>so dry corn' and I had to use a wire brush to clean the stones,

> I see a couple of MM models offered; does the stone one have steel cutters
> in the center of the stones, or is it straight stones?
> The main problem with any of these is the shipping...
>

> Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
> Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

The stones are about 9 inches in dia and about 3 in thick and there are
no steel cutters, all stone.

Which Grain Mill? [email protected] General Cooking 0 23-02-2010 07:09 AM
KA grain mill attachment Joschi Sourdough 4 05-04-2005 03:36 PM
KA grain mill attachment Joschi Sourdough 0 05-04-2005 08:57 AM
Grain Mill Bud Sourdough 2 14-06-2004 05:15 AM
Grain Mill Bud Baking 1 06-06-2004 02:57 AM