Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Baking SD Outdoors

The sun is shining, and we're getting our first glimpse of warm weather
here in upper New York State. I know I will not want to heat up my
kitchen baking SD loaves (now highly acclaimed by neighbors and family
alike ;- ). My huband believes our barbecue grill will have uneven
temperature. The thought of not baking bread for three summer months
leaves me in gloom. Has anyone had experience baking SD loaves
outdoors?
Thanks,
Diane

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"BestBread" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The sun is shining, and we're getting our first glimpse of warm weather
> here in upper New York State. I know I will not want to heat up my
> kitchen baking SD loaves (now highly acclaimed by neighbors and family
> alike ;- ). My huband believes our barbecue grill will have uneven
> temperature. The thought of not baking bread for three summer months
> leaves me in gloom. Has anyone had experience baking SD loaves
> outdoors?
> Thanks,
> Diane

see these messages:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...11b2c1be874d1e
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...5dda6c71b285e1
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...ebe68e20972c7b

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 9 Apr 2006 12:05:43 -0700, "BestBread" >
wrote:

>The sun is shining, and we're getting our first glimpse of warm weather
>here in upper New York State. I know I will not want to heat up my
>kitchen baking SD loaves (now highly acclaimed by neighbors and family
>alike ;- ). My huband believes our barbecue grill will have uneven
>temperature. The thought of not baking bread for three summer months
>leaves me in gloom. Has anyone had experience baking SD loaves
>outdoors?
>Thanks,
>Diane

If I recall correctly, Louis Cohen has posted about baking bread in a
Kamado. in alt.bread.recipes awhile ago. You might also want to google
alt.food.barbecue.

A lot will depend on what kind of grill you have.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"BestBread" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The sun is shining, and we're getting our first glimpse of warm weather
> here in upper New York State. I know I will not want to heat up my
> kitchen baking SD loaves (now highly acclaimed by neighbors and family
> alike ;- ). My huband believes our barbecue grill will have uneven
> temperature. The thought of not baking bread for three summer months
> leaves me in gloom. Has anyone had experience baking SD loaves
> outdoors?
> Thanks,
> Diane

I've baked bread in my gas grill and it works fine. A charcoal grill might
be a bit trickier to control and maintain the temperature, but it could be
done if you really want to. Might take a little experimenting, though.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Its my prefered method, but has its limitations. I use a gas grill.
Start with a layer of unglazed quarry tiles, then a pizza stone on top
of that. Preheat for about 30 min. Throw some wood chips on the
cooking grate (not the stone) for flavor. Then bake. The limitation
is that the top doesn't get done as quick as the bottom. You may have
to turn the loaves about 2/3 through the baking time ot the bottom can
get overdone.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Todd K. wrote:

> Its my prefered method, but has its limitations. I use a gas grill.
> Start with a layer of unglazed quarry tiles, then a pizza stone on top
> of that. Preheat for about 30 min. Throw some wood chips on the
> cooking grate (not the stone) for flavor. Then bake. The limitation
> is that the top doesn't get done as quick as the bottom. You may have
> to turn the loaves about 2/3 through the baking time ot the bottom can
> get overdone.

Does not sound good to me. " You may have to turn the loaves about 2/3
through the baking time ot the bottom can get overdone."

What are we cooking/baking eggs or stake>

Joe Umstead
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Joe Umstead" > wrote in message
news
> Todd K. wrote:
>
> > Its my prefered method, but has its limitations. I use a gas grill.
> > Start with a layer of unglazed quarry tiles, then a pizza stone on top
> > of that. Preheat for about 30 min. Throw some wood chips on the
> > cooking grate (not the stone) for flavor. Then bake. The limitation
> > is that the top doesn't get done as quick as the bottom. You may have
> > to turn the loaves about 2/3 through the baking time ot the bottom can
> > get overdone.

> Does not sound good to me. " You may have to turn the loaves about 2/3
> through the baking time ot the bottom can get overdone."
>
> What are we cooking/baking eggs or stake>
>
> Joe Umstead

that is why i started using a cast iron dutch oven. cooks top and bottom
when the temp is right. also makes a very moist bread.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks for everyone's input. From what I can see I have several
choices to bake outdoors:
1. pizza stone - may be too limiting

2. la cloche stoneware - may be difficult to handle dome when
preheated

3. baparoma artisan French bread baking pan - interesting, but I don't
like the idea of using anything teflon coated

4. Kamado - if I win the lottery or get a bonus (yeah, right)

5. cast iron Dutch stove - I like this idea. Dan: Do you preheat both
top and bottom of cast iron? What size do you recommend? Also, what
about placing a flat rack with holes on bottom, pouring water under
that, to provide steam while baking?

Diane

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

BestBread wrote:
> The sun is shining, and we're getting our first glimpse of warm weather
> here in upper New York State. I know I will not want to heat up my
> kitchen baking SD loaves...

You might want to give sourdough flatbreads a trial. They're easy to
make and even easier (and quick) to cook. You can cook them on the
grill using a heavy sheet pan or skillet. Flavor is excellent. Learning
curve is very short.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"BestBread" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> 5. cast iron Dutch stove - I like this idea. Dan: Do you preheat both
> top and bottom of cast iron? What size do you recommend? Also, what
> about placing a flat rack with holes on bottom, pouring water under
> that, to provide steam while baking?
>
> Diane

i would estimate my dutch oven is about 10" across at top and is about 9"
tall. preheating the bbq to 350º with a cast iron griddle to diffuse heat
works for me. i then add the raised dough (raised in the dutch oven), to
the bbq, keeping the lid on and not opening for the entire process. this
creates it's own steam, and results in a very moist bread.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> BestBread wrote:
> > The sun is shining, and we're getting our first glimpse of warm weather
> > here in upper New York State. I know I will not want to heat up my
> > kitchen baking SD loaves...

> You might want to give sourdough flatbreads a trial. They're easy to
> make and even easier (and quick) to cook. You can cook them on the
> grill using a heavy sheet pan or skillet. Flavor is excellent. Learning
> curve is very short.

will, i am going camping this weekend- i am also going to try the flatbread.
pics next week.

dan w

Drinks Best Enjoyed Outdoors cktlconnoisseur General 0 31-05-2012 08:19 PM
Cooking Outdoors John Morgan Barbecue 11 30-09-2007 11:56 PM
Great Outdoors Grill Co. Bob Walsh Barbecue 2 12-10-2006 06:14 PM
Great Outdoors Grill Banjo Barbecue 13 31-03-2005 08:09 PM
Great Outdoors Grill Lew/+Silat Barbecue 20 07-09-2004 08:59 PM