Railman

Default Greek Pita Bread

All this discussion of tortillas has got me wondering .... Has anyone
got a Greek Pita Bread recipe using sourdough? Also, can a recipe be
made, initial baking, then frozen and brough back to life?

Just a thought, was sourdough part of the Greek cooking scene.

Bob K

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:01:00 -0600, Railman >
wrote:

>All this discussion of tortillas has got me wondering .... Has anyone
>got a Greek Pita Bread recipe using sourdough? Also, can a recipe be
>made, initial baking, then frozen and brough back to life?
>

>Just a thought, was sourdough part of the Greek cooking scene.

I would like to second this!

Weekly I make 4 loaves of sourdough bread, 2 whole wheat sourdough and
2 rye bread, (mike's recipe.) Even with saving a couple of cups of
starter for the next week, I usually have 1 or more cups of starter
left over. I have been making pizza crust with them, but 3 or 4 of
them in the freezer is enough. I easily go through 6 pitas a week,
and if I could make them with sourdough all the better...
Roy

>All this discussion of tortillas has got me wondering .... Has anyone
>got a Greek Pita Bread recipe using sourdough?

Greek pita bread is normally bakers yeast raised; but the arabic
version made in certain parts of middle east can contain sourdough.

>Also, can a recipe be
>made, initial baking, then frozen and brough back to life

'fraid not....they are thin breads and baked in such a short time (
several seconds to few minutes), Therefore double baking is not an
option

>Just a thought, was sourdough part of the Greek cooking scene.

Greeks can have their own indigenous sourdough recipes and that can
include pitas.....and we never know if some bakers in Athens are
making an artisanal type pitas using old dough or even sourdough.

Bob K

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:50:07 -0500, Bob K >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:01:00 -0600, Railman >
>wrote:
>
>>All this discussion of tortillas has got me wondering .... Has anyone
>>got a Greek Pita Bread recipe using sourdough? Also, can a recipe be
>>made, initial baking, then frozen and brough back to life?
>>

>>Just a thought, was sourdough part of the Greek cooking scene.

>I would like to second this!
>
>Weekly I make 4 loaves of sourdough bread, 2 whole wheat sourdough and
>2 rye bread, (mike's recipe.) Even with saving a couple of cups of
>starter for the next week, I usually have 1 or more cups of starter
>left over. I have been making pizza crust with them, but 3 or 4 of
>them in the freezer is enough. I easily go through 6 pitas a week,
>and if I could make them with sourdough all the better...

This is what I am planning to try next weekend to make whole wheat
sourdough pita breads. The recipe is a modified version of the
Sourdough Pita Bread from Randy's Vegetarian Cookbook,
http://www.nanday.com/cookbook/45.phtml. I would like to get your
opinion on the recipe.

Whole Wheat Sourdough Pita Bread

1 cup whole wheat sourdough starter
½ cup filtered water
1 tsp honey
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup additional flour (approximately

Mix whole wheat starter with the next 4 ingredients, mixing/kneading
well. Cover and let rise until doubled.

Add additional flour. Knead well. Divide dough into six equal parts.
Form each into a smooth round ball. Roll each ball to ½ inch
thickness. Place on a square of baking parchment and let rise.

Preheat oven with a baking stone or lined with quarry tiles to 475
degree f. Slide the pitas on the parchment direct onto the tiles and
bake for about 10 minutes, or until puffed and just starting to brown.
Remove and cool on a wire rack.

Question about pita bread Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 31 05-05-2014 10:26 PM
REQ: a Pita Bread recipe Railman Sourdough 19 28-08-2005 11:35 AM
Pita Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 20-06-2005 12:29 PM
Pita Bread Tim Recipes 0 20-06-2005 12:28 PM
Pita bread Al Baking 2 15-03-2005 11:24 PM