Ernie

Default Proofing Box

Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
proper temperature while raising and aging?
Ernie

Dick Adams

"Ernie" > wrote in message =
om...

> Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at =

the
> proper temperature while raising and aging?

Hey, Samartha, it is possible that some people here do not know what to
do with links (URL references). Maybe link a brief tutorial.
Ophelia

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Ernie" > wrote in message
om...

> Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
> proper temperature while raising and aging?

Hey, Samartha, it is possible that some people here do not know what to
do with links (URL references). Maybe link a brief tutorial.

As acerbic as ever Dick))

Ophelia

graham

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Dick Adams" > wrote in message
>
> "Ernie" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>> Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
>> proper temperature while raising and aging?

> Hey, Samartha, it is possible that some people here do not know what to
> do with links (URL references). Maybe link a brief tutorial.
>
> As acerbic as ever Dick))
>
> Ophelia

Well it is a sourdough group;-)
Graham

Ophelia

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dick Adams" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ernie" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>
>>> Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at
>>> the
>>> proper temperature while raising and aging?

>> Hey, Samartha, it is possible that some people here do not know what to
>> do with links (URL references). Maybe link a brief tutorial.
>>
>> As acerbic as ever Dick))
>>
>> Ophelia

> Well it is a sourdough group;-)

LOL

Repeating Rifle

Because my GE Profile range was designed to prevent food poisoning, I also
need a place to proof dough. The range cannot be set to a temperature below
170°F and it has no pilot light.

It turns out that my little greenhouse is ideal when conditions are right.
That seems to be be more than half the time.

Bill

Boron Elgar

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:57:32 GMT, Repeating Rifle
> wrote:

>Because my GE Profile range was designed to prevent food poisoning, I also
>need a place to proof dough. The range cannot be set to a temperature below
>170°F and it has no pilot light.

Some of them can be, though. Why not call GE and inquire about yours?

Boron
Ernie

"Repeating Rifle" > wrote in message
> Because my GE Profile range was designed to prevent food poisoning, I also
> need a place to proof dough. The range cannot be set to a temperature

below
> 170°F and it has no pilot light.
>
> It turns out that my little greenhouse is ideal when conditions are right.
> That seems to be be more than half the time.
>
> Bill

Hi Bill
I have been using my bread machine and the bulb in my electric
oven. The bread machine is set at 97F and works good for everything
but the final dough. I use the oven for that but have to monitor it
because the bulb heats it to over 100 and I have to open the door
a little bit.
I see old sarcastic Dick is still around. He must live to make smart
remarks about peoples post who have him in their kill file. Get a Life!
Ernie

Samartha

Ernie wrote:

>Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
>proper temperature while raising and aging?
>Ernie

No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), used
as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium heater(s). I
gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.

Samartha

Ernie

> Ernie wrote:
> >Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
> >proper temperature while raising and aging?
> >Ernie

> "Samartha" wrote:
> No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), used
> as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium heater(s). I
> gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.
> Samartha

That is a very interesting idea. Do you know of any bakeries that use it
commercially?
Ernie

Samartha

Ernie wrote:

>>Ernie wrote:
>>

>>>Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
>>>proper temperature while raising and aging?
>>>Ernie
>>>

>>"Samartha" wrote:
>>No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), used
>>as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium heater(s). I
>>gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.
>>Samartha
>>

>That is a very interesting idea. Do you know of any bakeries that use it
>commercially?
>Ernie

I doubt it - they ususally have larger amounts and larger
coolers/fermentation rooms, I would think.

Another lady here had the same idea independently. Maybe there are some
hidden sourdough genes which get turned on at times to cause this?

Samartha

>http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough

Dick Adams

"Ernie" > wrote in message =
m...

> "Samartha" wrote:
> > No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), =

used
> > as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium =

heater(s). I
> > gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.

> That is a very interesting idea. Do you know of any bakeries that use =

it
> commercially?

Could it be he does sarcasm? Perhaps he has been underrated?
Ernie

"Samartha"wrote:
Another lady here had the same idea independently. Maybe there are some hidden sourdough genes which get turned on at times to cause this?
Samartha

LOL
Very origional, I thought you had seen it somewhere. How deep is the water and do the sourdough containers float or just sit on the bottom? Do you have any pictures of your invention? I have seen your URL but didn't see any pictures of this great idea..
Ernie

Ernie

"Boron Elgar" wrote
> GE does make a warming oven in the series that has a proof cycle and a
> couple of the Profile series full ranges offer the proof feature. I
> wonder how they handle it, tho...My Kitchen Aid electric/convection
> has a proof cycle - one I never use, as I prefer a long, cool proof
> time..
> Boron

I guess long and cool is ok for some starters, but the San Francisco starter
would not get sour until I started using a 9 hour 90 degree F temp. See the
great site Samartha found at http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/64/7/2616
Ernie

cswingle

Samartha,

> Another lady here had the same idea independently. Maybe there are
> some hidden sourdough genes which get turned on at times to cause
> this?

It's possible that some of the cross-pollination comes from
homebrewing, where it's very important to keep your wort at the right
temperature throughout fermentation. Too hot and there are off
flavors, too cold and the yeast don't attenuate the beer properly, or
stop working altogether. I got an aquarium heater for this reason, but
decided to build myself a fermentation box using a light bulb as a heat
source. Now I use the aquarium heater in a small bucket of water for
sourdough, just like you do, except without the pump. Works great.

BTW, great web site. Lots of good information, well presented.
Thanks,

Chris
--
Chris Swingley
University of Alaska Fairbanks

Samartha

Ernie wrote:

> "Samartha"wrote:
> Another lady here had the same idea independently. Maybe there are
> some hidden sourdough genes which get turned on at times to cause
> this?
> Samartha
>
> LOL
> Very origional, I thought you had seen it somewhere. How deep is
> the water and do the sourdough containers float or just sit on the
> bottom?

Smaller one's float, larger one's sit on the ground when it's only one
or two - as more are put in, the water level rises and most of the time
they swim. Min water level is determined by heater - needs to be covered
sufficiently (1") and the pump - makes a lot of annoying noise when it
draws air. Best is if there is enough water so the "baskets" swim free
and the is still at least one inch between heater and "baskets" so water
can circulate, which happens when the "baskets" swim, they circulate.

> Do you have any pictures of your invention? I have seen your URL
> but didn't see any pictures of this great idea..

http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/ - middle of page - inventions it
a bit much, maybe uncommon use of availible equipment.

Samartha

Boron Elgar

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:39:53 GMT, "Ernie"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" wrote
>> GE does make a warming oven in the series that has a proof cycle and a
>> couple of the Profile series full ranges offer the proof feature. I
>> wonder how they handle it, tho...My Kitchen Aid electric/convection
>> has a proof cycle - one I never use, as I prefer a long, cool proof
>> time..
>> Boron

>I guess long and cool is ok for some starters, but the San Francisco starter
>would not get sour until I started using a 9 hour 90 degree F temp. See the
>great site Samartha found at http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/64/7/2616
>Ernie

Yes, I have seen the link.

I have about 6 different starters, all of which are quite active. I am
not sure how any of them would react to 9 hours at 90 degrees. I'd
likely wind up with flat flop.

Still...it could be fun to try.

Boron
Ernie

"Samartha" wrote: >
> Smaller one's float, larger one's sit on the ground when it's only one
> or two - as more are put in, the water level rises and most of the time
> they swim. Min water level is determined by heater - needs to be covered
> sufficiently (1") and the pump - makes a lot of annoying noise when it
> draws air. Best is if there is enough water so the "baskets" swim free
> and the is still at least one inch between heater and "baskets" so water
> can circulate, which happens when the "baskets" swim, they circulate.
> http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/ - middle of page - inventions it
> a bit much, maybe uncommon use of availible equipment.
> Samartha

You are quite innovative Samartha, Thank you very much.
Ernie

Kenneth

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:17:46 -0700, Samartha
> wrote:

>Ernie wrote:
>
>>Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at the
>>proper temperature while raising and aging?
>>Ernie
>>

>No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), used
>as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium heater(s). I
>gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.
>
>Samartha

Howdy,

I will mention another approach (not suggesting it is
superior):

I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
inside at the top.

Finally, a relay outside.

With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
and it holds within 1 degree.

For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
motor kicks on.

I have used it now for about 15 years...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Will

Kenneth wrote:

> I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
> installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
> inside at the top.
>
> Finally, a relay outside.
>
> With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
> and it holds within 1 degree.
>
> For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
> motor kicks on.
>
> I have used it now for about 15 years...

So Kenneth what keeps the refrigerature from having fits? The lights
heat to X then the compressor kicks in to cool to x-1 then the lights,
then the compressor, then the lights. How does it achieve a stable
state?

Cars do this and make me crazy with alternating hot and cold blasts of
"equilibrium".

Will

Will

Kenneth wrote:

> I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
> installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
> inside at the top.
>
> Finally, a relay outside.
>
> With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
> and it holds within 1 degree.
>
> For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
> motor kicks on.
>
> I have used it now for about 15 years...

So Kenneth what keeps the refrigerature from having fits? The lights
heat to X then the compressor kicks in to cool to x-1 then the lights,
then the compressor, then the lights. How does it achieve a stable
state?

Cars do this and make me crazy with alternating hot and cold blasts of
"equilibrium".

Will

Ernie

"Kenneth" wrote

> >Ernie wrote:
> >>Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at

the
> >>proper temperature while raising and aging?
> >>Ernie
> >>

> >No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), used
> >as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium heater(s). I
> >gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.
> >Samartha
> >

> Howdy,
> I will mention another approach (not suggesting it is
> superior):
> I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
> installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
> inside at the top.
> Finally, a relay outside.
> With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
> and it holds within 1 degree.
> For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
> motor kicks on.
> I have used it now for about 15 years...
> All the best,
> Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,
Great Idea, Fridges also make good smokers.
I noticed that Samartha used un-insulated trays to hold the water. I was
wondering if those cheap Styrofoam ice chests would be a good idea. You
could put the lid on and reduce heat loss to a minimum.
Ernie

Ernie

"Kenneth" wrote

> >Ernie wrote:
> >>Samartha do you have a proofing box to put the dough in to keep it at

the
> >>proper temperature while raising and aging?
> >>Ernie
> >>

> >No it's a 'reverse' box (actually, I have 4 in 3 different sizes), used
> >as water tank(s) with small a fountain pump(s) and aquarium heater(s). I
> >gave up on the air stuff. Works great for me.
> >Samartha
> >

> Howdy,
> I will mention another approach (not suggesting it is
> superior):
> I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
> installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
> inside at the top.
> Finally, a relay outside.
> With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
> and it holds within 1 degree.
> For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
> motor kicks on.
> I have used it now for about 15 years...
> All the best,
> Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,
Great Idea, Fridges also make good smokers.
I noticed that Samartha used un-insulated trays to hold the water. I was
wondering if those cheap Styrofoam ice chests would be a good idea. You
could put the lid on and reduce heat loss to a minimum.
Ernie

Kenneth

On 29 Jan 2005 08:41:16 -0800, "Will"
> wrote:

>Kenneth wrote:
>

>> I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
>> installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
>> inside at the top.
>>
>> Finally, a relay outside.
>>
>> With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
>> and it holds within 1 degree.
>>
>> For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
>> motor kicks on.
>>
>> I have used it now for about 15 years...

>So Kenneth what keeps the refrigerature from having fits? The lights
>heat to X then the compressor kicks in to cool to x-1 then the lights,
>then the compressor, then the lights. How does it achieve a stable
>state?
>
>Cars do this and make me crazy with alternating hot and cold blasts of
>"equilibrium".
>
>Will

Hi Will,

I should have said that the thermostat is of the sort that
controls heat and AC in a house manually, that is, I have to
flip a switch to have it cool, or heat.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:42:02 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On 29 Jan 2005 08:41:16 -0800, "Will"
> wrote:
>

>>Kenneth wrote:
>>

>>> I had a small refrigerator unused in our basement. I
>>> installed a light bulb socket in the bottom and a thermostat
>>> inside at the top.
>>>
>>> Finally, a relay outside.
>>>
>>> With all that I can set any temperature between 44F and 88F
>>> and it holds within 1 degree.
>>>
>>> For heat, the bulb lights, for cooling, the refrigerator
>>> motor kicks on.
>>>
>>> I have used it now for about 15 years...

>>So Kenneth what keeps the refrigerature from having fits? The lights
>>heat to X then the compressor kicks in to cool to x-1 then the lights,
>>then the compressor, then the lights. How does it achieve a stable
>>state?
>>
>>Cars do this and make me crazy with alternating hot and cold blasts of
>>"equilibrium".
>>
>>Will

>Hi Will,
>
>I should have said that the thermostat is of the sort that
>controls heat and AC in a house manually, that is, I have to
>flip a switch to have it cool, or heat.
>
>All the best,

Hi again Will,

There is another issue:

Suppose my basement is 55F and I want the proofer at 68F.
The bulb would light heat the thing and turn itself off when
the interior reached 68. The box would cool slightly, the
light would come on to heat it up, and so on.

Now, suppose in the summer, the basement was at 70 and I
want the proofer at 68. The refrigerator motor would come
on, cool the interior to 68, and turn itself off.

There really is no issue of the heat and cooling source
driving each other (or you) nuts. <g>

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Dick Adams

In message =
news:mailman.1106961329.5228.rec.food.sourdough@ww w.mountainbitwarrior.co=
Samartha mentioned a bread incubator based upon aquatic levitation:
> http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/ - middle of page -

Therefore I feel the mention of my cat-assisted, air-blown incubator
might be appropriate at this point.

http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...nincubator.jpg

www.prettycolors.com/bread%5Fculture/index.html

I do not feel that an incubator is essential, as room temperature is
fine for most starter and dough operations. But, when you are in
some kind of a hurry, or your house is cold, an incubator may be=20
useful. The salvage of cat body warmth is energy-conservative
as well as providing a sense of involvement for the cat.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Felix Karpfen

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:37:33 +0000, Dick Adams wrote:

> I do not feel that an incubator is essential, as room temperature is
> fine for most starter and dough operations. But, when you are in
> _some kind of a hurry_, or your house is cold, an incubator may be
> useful.

As a new arrival to the world of sourdough and somewhat too old to
have the life-expectancy needed for re-inventing the wheel, I would welcome
further details. Especially as the prospect of being able to dispense
with an incubator appeals to my inherent laziness.

What is the time allocated for the <starter to start | dough to rise>
to disqualify it from being in "some kind of a hurry"? The timings needed to
make successful breads from yeast doughs (my only experience until
now) appear to be totally irrelevant.

And what is the temperature at which the house is "cold"? Our indoor
(mid-summer) temperatures dropped 18°F in last 24 hours (while I was vainly
attempting to breathe fresh life into a sourdough starter).

PS: I am decently overawed by the technology involved in bringing a
"slide show" to my computer. I just hope that the slide show made it to
my cache, so that I can study it at leisure.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

Dick Adams

"Felix Karpfen" > wrote in message=20
news
> somewhat too old to have the life-expectancy needed for=20
> re-inventing the wheel, I would welcome further details.

Reinvention of the wheel is a primary pastime at r.f.s. =20
=20
> What is the time allocated for the <starter to start | dough to rise>
> to disqualify it from being in "some kind of a hurry"?

The approximate times I use are posted:
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...structions.doc
which is a MSWord97 file. There is a text file at that site
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/revive.txt
about reviving a dried start.

A hurry would occur, for instance, if the rise happened to
begin at 7 PM and one wished to retire by 11. Then would
be a good time to use the incubator at 80 degr. F.

> And what is the temperature at which the house is "cold"?=20

The daily temperature is ~ 70 degr. F ~ 21 degr. C. The nightly
temperature during cold months is ~55 degr. F. At that temperature
yeast grows about half as fast as it does at 70 degr. F. and presumably
fermentation is similarly slowed, according to
http://prettycolors.com/bread%5Fcult...tgrowth.jpg=20

It is for white sourdough made from American bread flour. Things are
different for rye breads. Then you should read in German or=20
communicate with Samartha. Either way, good luck!

Ernie wrote:

> Hi Kenneth,
> Great Idea, Fridges also make good smokers.
> I noticed that Samartha used un-insulated trays to hold the water. I was
> wondering if those cheap Styrofoam ice chests would be a good idea. You
> could put the lid on and reduce heat loss to a minimum.
> Ernie

I just have one more idea from my accountant, who is an avid SD. He
uses a large plastic ice chest and puts in a large jar of very hot
water. I fill a vase with about 2 Qt water and microwave for 5 min on
high, just below boiling, then put the vase and all in with the starter
or proof i am working with. Very high humidity and about 90F temp. Not
totally sure on the temp, but very good raises and top stays moist.

Dan w

Attached Thumbnails
Proofing Box-proof-1.jpg  Proofing Box-proof-2.jpg
John G.

Whatever happened to using an upside-down plastic storage box, resting
on top of a heating pad (with thermostat) and thermometer in the
storage box?

Kenneth

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:29:23 GMT, John G.
<Grizzly@lostworld> wrote:

>Whatever happened to using an upside-down plastic storage box, resting
>on top of a heating pad (with thermostat) and thermometer in the
>storage box?

Howdy,

I don't know what you mean by "Whatever happened to..."

What you describe would probably work quite well (if your
purpose is to warm things above room temperature.)

All the best,

--
Kenneth

John G.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:35:40 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:29:23 GMT, John G.
><Grizzly@lostworld> wrote:
>

>>Whatever happened to using an upside-down plastic storage box, resting
>>on top of a heating pad (with thermostat) and thermometer in the
>>storage box?

>Howdy,
>
>I don't know what you mean by "Whatever happened to..."
>
>What you describe would probably work quite well (if your
>purpose is to warm things above room temperature.)

Exactly! Except in the hotter months of Jul - Sep, our indoor temp is
about 71.

Proofing Box PastorDIC Sourdough 13 26-01-2007 07:27 PM
Proofing Box [email protected] Sourdough 0 15-01-2007 02:23 PM
Proofing Box [email protected] Sourdough 1 15-01-2007 04:35 AM
Do you need a "Proofing Box"? ° Baking 3 04-11-2003 07:46 AM
Do you need a Proofing Box? ° Cooking Equipment 10 03-11-2003 11:36 AM