Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Proofing box

I made a proofing box out of an old ice chest, with a thermostat and
baffled lamp. Maybe you'd have to add a bottle of ice water in hot weather?
Shown with a bottle of starter and a remote probe thermometer. I've also
used it for loaves of bread.

http://img2.tinypic.info/files/3ek3iej27tly5xkvtol1.jpg

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer wrote:
> I made a proofing box out of an old ice chest, with a thermostat and
> baffled lamp. Maybe you'd have to add a bottle of ice water in hot weather?
> Shown with a bottle of starter and a remote probe thermometer. I've also
> used it for loaves of bread.
>
> http://img2.tinypic.info/files/3ek3iej27tly5xkvtol1.jpg

I like the remote sensing thermometer. Where did that come from? Can you
use it for baking? Is that the probe in the lower right?

Why the plastic in front of the light bulb?

It seems this would work for yogurt as well. (just started) Can you
maintain 110F with it?

Harvey
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

eclipsme > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > I made a proofing box out of an old ice chest, with a thermostat and
> > baffled lamp. Maybe you'd have to add a bottle of ice water in hot
> > weather? Shown with a bottle of starter and a remote probe thermometer.
> > I've also used it for loaves of bread.
> >
> > http://img2.tinypic.info/files/3ek3iej27tly5xkvtol1.jpg
> >

> I like the remote sensing thermometer. Where did that come from? Can you
> use it for baking? Is that the probe in the lower right?

It's a Polder knockoff, Harvey. I think I got it at Target . . . maybe $15.
I've used it for BBQing and deep fat frying, so it's good up to at least
390 F (and down to 32 F). There are others with a wider range. And, yes,
that's the probe in the lower right.

> Why the plastic in front of the light bulb?

I wanted convection heating, not radiant. Temp is pretty even throughout.
Here's another pic.

http://img4.tinypic.info/files/zgnpwvqpsujn1z2fighx.jpg

> It seems this would work for yogurt as well. (just started) Can you
> maintain 110F with it?

This one is for house temperature regulation. I think it tops out at 90 F.
As with the thermometer, Google is your friend. ;-)

Have fun with your yogurt. I wanna try that, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer wrote:
> eclipsme > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> I made a proofing box out of an old ice chest, with a thermostat and
>>> baffled lamp. Maybe you'd have to add a bottle of ice water in hot
>>> weather? Shown with a bottle of starter and a remote probe thermometer.
>>> I've also used it for loaves of bread.
>>>
>>> http://img2.tinypic.info/files/3ek3iej27tly5xkvtol1.jpg
>>>

>> I like the remote sensing thermometer. Where did that come from? Can you
>> use it for baking? Is that the probe in the lower right?

> It's a Polder knockoff, Harvey. I think I got it at Target . . . maybe $15.
> I've used it for BBQing and deep fat frying, so it's good up to at least
> 390 F (and down to 32 F). There are others with a wider range. And, yes,
> that's the probe in the lower right.
>
>> Why the plastic in front of the light bulb?

> I wanted convection heating, not radiant. Temp is pretty even throughout.
> Here's another pic.
>
> http://img4.tinypic.info/files/zgnpwvqpsujn1z2fighx.jpg
>
>> It seems this would work for yogurt as well. (just started) Can you
>> maintain 110F with it?

> This one is for house temperature regulation. I think it tops out at 90 F.
> As with the thermometer, Google is your friend. ;-)
>
> Have fun with your yogurt. I wanna try that, too.

This looks like a great way to do continuous proofing. I usually us the
oven to do proofing and raising. If I turn the oven on to 150 degrees F
for one minute, and then leave the light on, the temp stays right at
90F.
I think I am going "steal" your idea and build a "real" proofing box so
my wife doesn't complain anymore.

Proofing Box PastorDIC Sourdough 13 26-01-2007 06:27 PM
Proofing Box [email protected] Sourdough 0 15-01-2007 01:23 PM
Proofing Box [email protected] Sourdough 1 15-01-2007 03:35 AM
Proofing Box Ernie Sourdough 33 20-02-2005 03:00 AM
Do you need a "Proofing Box"? ° Baking 3 04-11-2003 06:46 AM