Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

Default Linen for proofing cloths

Does anybody have a source for heavy linen fabric suitable for making
proofing cloths?
The heaviest 100% linen I have found is about 5 oz/sq yd which make a
great dish towel, but isn't really heavy enough for a proofing cloth.
I found some very nice 12 oz hemp canvas and some 10 oz cotton duck.
The hemp works well (drapes nicely and holds flour beautifully) but is
not as absorbent as linen, and the cotton duck is very stiff and hard
to handle (does not conform to my baskets at all). Other suggestions
are welcome.

Doc
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:32:51 -0800 (PST), Doc
> wrote:

>Does anybody have a source for heavy linen fabric suitable for making
>proofing cloths?
>The heaviest 100% linen I have found is about 5 oz/sq yd which make a
>great dish towel, but isn't really heavy enough for a proofing cloth.
>I found some very nice 12 oz hemp canvas and some 10 oz cotton duck.
>The hemp works well (drapes nicely and holds flour beautifully) but is
>not as absorbent as linen, and the cotton duck is very stiff and hard
>to handle (does not conform to my baskets at all). Other suggestions
>are welcome.
>
>Doc

Howdy,

Any quality artist's supplier will have the linen...

You might want to check:

http://www.flaxart.com/

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:14:06 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:32:51 -0800 (PST), Doc
> wrote:
>
>>Does anybody have a source for heavy linen fabric suitable for making
>>proofing cloths?
>>The heaviest 100% linen I have found is about 5 oz/sq yd which make a
>>great dish towel, but isn't really heavy enough for a proofing cloth.
>>I found some very nice 12 oz hemp canvas and some 10 oz cotton duck.
>>The hemp works well (drapes nicely and holds flour beautifully) but is
>>not as absorbent as linen, and the cotton duck is very stiff and hard
>>to handle (does not conform to my baskets at all). Other suggestions
>>are welcome.
>>
>>Doc

>Howdy,
>
>Any quality artist's supplier will have the linen...
>
>You might want to check:
>
>http://www.flaxart.com/
>
>All the best,

Hi again,

I see that they don't sell online, so you will have to give
'em a call,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

On Feb 17, 4:17*am, Kenneth > wrote:

> >>Doc

> >You might want to check:
> >http://www.flaxart.com/

> Kenneth

Thanks Kenneth, all they have is primed linen canvas for painting by
the roll.
Minimum purchase is $400 for 6 yds of 54" wide material (plus
shipping).

Somebody else pointed me to Denver Fabrics, but I don't yet know how
heavy their plain linen will be.

Doc
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Doc" > wrote in message
On Feb 17, 4:17 am, Kenneth > wrote:

> >>Doc

> >You might want to check:
> >http://www.flaxart.com/

> Kenneth

Thanks Kenneth, all they have is primed linen canvas for painting by
the roll.
Minimum purchase is $400 for 6 yds of 54" wide material (plus
shipping).

Somebody else pointed me to Denver Fabrics, but I don't yet know how
heavy their plain linen will be.

Chances are, if you go to any art supply store, they will have untreated
canvas by the yard or metre. That's where I bought mine.
However, try this place in California:
http://wholesaleartsframes.com/artis...FQQRswodBC_Ncg

Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Doc" > wrote in message ...

> Does anybody have a source for heavy linen fabric suitable for making
> proofing cloths?

Over the years a standard suggestion has been:

* linen table cloths at thrift stores *

I, for one, have never seen a linen table cloth at a
thrift store.

But usually I am only shopping for neck ties.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Doc" > wrote in message

> Does anybody have a source for heavy linen fabric suitable for making
> proofing cloths?

Over the years a standard suggestion has been:

* linen table cloths at thrift stores *

I, for one, have never seen a linen table cloth at a
thrift store.

But usually I am only shopping for neck ties.

____________________________________

Strange, I hadn't atken you for a fashionista{;-)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Doc wrote:
> Does anybody have a source for heavy linen fabric suitable for making
> proofing cloths?

Easy...

http://www.sfbi.com/baking_supplies.html

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

On Feb 18, 5:59*pm, Will > wrote:
> Easy...
>
> http://www.sfbi.com/baking_supplies.html

Will,
Thanks. That is not a link I have seen before.
I will bookmark it and give them a call when I get home.
Doc
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

I have found a couple of additional sources:

http://www.najecki.com/repro/Linen.html

which appears to have a number of good choices (both flax and hemp
linens) but from whom I have not purchased any fabric, and

http://www.denverfabrics.com/

where I purchased 3 yds of very nice 45" wide 100% linen that was
labeled as medium-heavy natural linen and turned out to be 8.7 oz/sq
yd (Stock # EE565 which no longer shows up when I search for it on
their web site so it may have been a clearance item). They have other
100% linen fabrics (though not natural color) that are listed as heavy
weight at reasonable prices. Denver Fabrics is actually in St Louis at
10490 Baur Blvd.

Doc

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:04:32 -0800 (PST), Doc >
wrote:

>I have found a couple of additional sources:
>
>http://www.najecki.com/repro/Linen.html
>
>which appears to have a number of good choices (both flax and hemp
>linens) but from whom I have not purchased any fabric, and
>
>http://www.denverfabrics.com/
>
>where I purchased 3 yds of very nice 45" wide 100% linen that was
>labeled as medium-heavy natural linen and turned out to be 8.7 oz/sq
>yd (Stock # EE565 which no longer shows up when I search for it on
>their web site so it may have been a clearance item). They have other
>100% linen fabrics (though not natural color) that are listed as heavy
>weight at reasonable prices. Denver Fabrics is actually in St Louis at
>10490 Baur Blvd.
>
>Doc

I went into an art supply store today and bought a 27" x 72" piece of
untreated canvas for $5.07.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:42:49 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:04:32 -0800 (PST), Doc >
>wrote:
>
>>I have found a couple of additional sources:
>>
>>http://www.najecki.com/repro/Linen.html
>>
>>which appears to have a number of good choices (both flax and hemp
>>linens) but from whom I have not purchased any fabric, and
>>
>>http://www.denverfabrics.com/
>>
>>where I purchased 3 yds of very nice 45" wide 100% linen that was
>>labeled as medium-heavy natural linen and turned out to be 8.7 oz/sq
>>yd (Stock # EE565 which no longer shows up when I search for it on
>>their web site so it may have been a clearance item). They have other
>>100% linen fabrics (though not natural color) that are listed as heavy
>>weight at reasonable prices. Denver Fabrics is actually in St Louis at
>>10490 Baur Blvd.
>>
>>Doc

>I went into an art supply store today and bought a 27" x 72" piece of
>untreated canvas for $5.07.
>
>Boron

Hi Boron,

Do you understand it to be linen?

I ask because that would be a very low price for linen
canvas, but of course, you may just have gotten a great
deal.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:58:46 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:42:49 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:04:32 -0800 (PST), Doc >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I have found a couple of additional sources:
>>>
>>>http://www.najecki.com/repro/Linen.html
>>>
>>>which appears to have a number of good choices (both flax and hemp
>>>linens) but from whom I have not purchased any fabric, and
>>>
>>>http://www.denverfabrics.com/
>>>
>>>where I purchased 3 yds of very nice 45" wide 100% linen that was
>>>labeled as medium-heavy natural linen and turned out to be 8.7 oz/sq
>>>yd (Stock # EE565 which no longer shows up when I search for it on
>>>their web site so it may have been a clearance item). They have other
>>>100% linen fabrics (though not natural color) that are listed as heavy
>>>weight at reasonable prices. Denver Fabrics is actually in St Louis at
>>>10490 Baur Blvd.
>>>
>>>Doc

>>I went into an art supply store today and bought a 27" x 72" piece of
>>untreated canvas for $5.07.
>>
>>Boron

>Hi Boron,
>
>Do you understand it to be linen?

I do.

>I ask because that would be a very low price for linen
>canvas, but of course, you may just have gotten a great
>deal.
>
>All the best,

It was it's odd size that made it the bargain it was. Too narrow to be
much use, I think. It was a scrap. I had a nice chat with the clerk
about it.

This was a store in the East Village. Manhattan is quite wonderful for
finding odd and delightful bargains that way.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:57:11 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>It was it's odd size that made it the bargain it was. Too narrow to be
>much use, I think. It was a scrap. I had a nice chat with the clerk
>about it.
>
>This was a store in the East Village. Manhattan is quite wonderful for
>finding odd and delightful bargains that way.
>
>Boron

Wow... That really was a deal...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:19:40 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:57:11 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>

>>It was it's odd size that made it the bargain it was. Too narrow to be
>>much use, I think. It was a scrap. I had a nice chat with the clerk
>>about it.
>>
>>This was a store in the East Village. Manhattan is quite wonderful for
>>finding odd and delightful bargains that way.
>>
>>Boron

>Wow... That really was a deal...
>
>All the best,

If you think that's a deal, you should see the black leather boots I
got from a store a couple of blocks from there.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> If you think that's a deal, you should see the black leather boots I
> got from a store a couple of blocks from there.
>
> Boron

This is why I really love end of season sales. I'm not that
fashionable, though.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 14:33:37 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>>
>>Wow... That really was a deal...
>>
>>All the best,

>If you think that's a deal, you should see the black leather boots I
>got from a store a couple of blocks from there.
>
>Boron

Hi Boron,

I assume you use the boots to raise ciabatta...<g>

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:18:56 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 14:33:37 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>>>
>>>Wow... That really was a deal...
>>>
>>>All the best,

>>If you think that's a deal, you should see the black leather boots I
>>got from a store a couple of blocks from there.
>>
>>Boron

>Hi Boron,
>
>I assume you use the boots to raise ciabatta...<g>
>
>All the best,

The heel of the bread is my favorite part.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:52:04 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>Hi Boron,
>>
>>I assume you use the boots to raise ciabatta...<g>
>>
>>All the best,

>The heel of the bread is my favorite part.
>
>Boron

Have you no shame...?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:57:48 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:52:04 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>

>>>Hi Boron,
>>>
>>>I assume you use the boots to raise ciabatta...<g>
>>>
>>>All the best,

>>The heel of the bread is my favorite part.
>>
>>Boron

>Have you no shame...?
>
>All the best,

Lots of "sole," though.