Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default BBQ Baguette

So my wife and I are off at a cottage in the Canadian bush for a few
weeks and I decided to try baking a SD baguette at 550 F on the BBQ.

We are just in town for a resupply and are off again next week for a
while longer.

I used Dicky's basic method for growing a Billowy loaf out of just
flour, salt and water and made a tray 'boat' out of tinfoil for my loaf
to grow and cook in. The tray kept the soft dough in shape like the
bakers used the canvass holders for and worked just 'OK' for the baking.
I will use more layers next time because the bottom of the loaf just
started to scorch. Not badly, just a couple black spots that scraped
off easy.

It turned out really nice. It was a very sour smelling and tasting loaf
with a crisp crust that went very well with our steaks. The left overs
made nice sandwich slices and BBQ sausage holders.

Here is a photo of it with the lemon meringue pie I have cooling for
desert: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture012.jpg

Some more new photos and the crumb photo for the Baguette, see my
regular album he http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Mike, what kind of oven do you use to bake your bread?
Do you know the temperature?
How long do you preheat your oven?
Cheers
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

viince wrote:
> Mike, what kind of oven do you use to bake your bread?
> Do you know the temperature?
> How long do you preheat your oven?
> Cheers

That baguette was an experiment in a gas fueled outdoor BBQ. I
preheated it for about 20 minutes at 550 F, then put the loaf in, in
it's aluminum foil tray I made. There was likely 8 layers of aluminum
under it. I think it only took about 10 minutes.

My normal oven is just a no name one with an 18"x18" oven grill size.
It takes about 45 minutes to get up to 450F. I usually bake loaves at
425 for about 15 minutes, then drop to 375 for another half hour more or
less depending on loaf size. The top element has 'attitude' but works
most days.

It did OK for today's bread:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...eCJ7/bread.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...CJ7/bread1.jpg

When we make our next move, it will be into a countryside setting in an
area with good clay in rural Canada, we plan on making a wood oven out
of clay and bricks. That should be fun to bake in. We also plan on
getting an oven at least 40 years newer than the one we are using now, LOL.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hey, now I know what I'll be doing the next time have a barbie, I can
just see the looks on the guys' faces when I start whisking those
eggs. Do you think I could make fairy cakes too? That's what I call
Bush Tucker.

On 22 May, 18:56, Mike Romain > wrote:
> Here is a photo of it with the lemon meringue pie I have cooling for
> desert:http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture012.jpg

> Mike
> Some bread photos:http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

LOL! Well when the folks you are having the barbie for are female, the
reactions are better than you think. We did have marinated shrimp and
bacon wrapped scallops on skewers with corn on the cob BBQ'ed in the
husk for the main course....

Mike

Successful Baguette Will Sourdough 3 06-09-2006 06:32 AM
Successful Baguette Hans Fugal Sourdough 11 27-08-2006 02:56 PM
French Baguette Kathy in NZ General Cooking 25 28-01-2006 04:01 AM
Baguette au levain Ulrike Westphal Sourdough 44 26-06-2004 12:59 PM
baguette juergen Baking 5 04-11-2003 06:57 AM