graham

Default Sourdough in literature

Kenneth:
Shakespeare's lifelong friend, who was a witness to, and benificiary of his
will, was Hamnet Sadler (sometimes spelled Hamlet) a Stratford baker. The
Bard must have been aware of his friend's experiments with Wonderbread when
he wrote:

"Most lazar-like, with vile and loathsome crust" (Hamlet, I/5)

There is also a passage in Troilus and Cressida indicating that He must have
spent some time watching the baker:

PANDARUS Well, I have told you enough of this: for my part, I'll not
meddle nor make no further. He that will have a cake out of the wheat must
needs tarry the grinding.

TROILUS Have I not tarried?

PANDARUS Ay, the grinding; but you must tarry the bolting.

TROILUS Have I not tarried?

PANDARUS Ay, the bolting, but you must tarry the leavening.

TROILUS Still have I tarried.

PANDARUS Ay, to the leavening; but here's yet in the word 'hereafter' the
kneading, the making of the cake, the heating of the oven and the baking;
nay, you must stay the cooling too, or you may chance to burn your lips.

And in the same play he notes the frustrations of dealing with sourdough:

"Speak then, thou vinewedst leaven, speak: I will beat thee into
handsomeness" (II/1)

And before someone accuses me of taking these out of context like some
fundamentalist preacher, he also said:

"The devil can cite scripture for his purpose."

Cheers

Graham

Kenneth

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:23:28 GMT, "graham" > wrote:

>Kenneth:
>Shakespeare's lifelong friend, who was a witness to, and benificiary of his
>will, was Hamnet Sadler (sometimes spelled Hamlet) a Stratford baker. The
>Bard must have been aware of his friend's experiments with Wonderbread when
>he wrote:
>
>"Most lazar-like, with vile and loathsome crust" (Hamlet, I/5)
>
>There is also a passage in Troilus and Cressida indicating that He must have
>spent some time watching the baker:
>
>PANDARUS Well, I have told you enough of this: for my part, I'll not
>meddle nor make no further. He that will have a cake out of the wheat must
>needs tarry the grinding.
>
>TROILUS Have I not tarried?
>
>PANDARUS Ay, the grinding; but you must tarry the bolting.
>
>TROILUS Have I not tarried?
>
>PANDARUS Ay, the bolting, but you must tarry the leavening.
>
>TROILUS Still have I tarried.
>
>PANDARUS Ay, to the leavening; but here's yet in the word 'hereafter' the
>kneading, the making of the cake, the heating of the oven and the baking;
>nay, you must stay the cooling too, or you may chance to burn your lips.
>

>And in the same play he notes the frustrations of dealing with sourdough:
>

>"Speak then, thou vinewedst leaven, speak: I will beat thee into
>handsomeness" (II/1)
>

>And before someone accuses me of taking these out of context like some
>fundamentalist preacher, he also said:
>

>"The devil can cite scripture for his purpose."
>

>Cheers
>
>Graham

Hi Graham,

No such accusation from me... Those are great.

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Salon article: "...Children's Literature, and How We Learn to Love Food" [email protected] General Cooking 2 16-09-2014 03:36 PM
Converting Sourdough Formula To Non-Sourdough Formula KMIAA Baking 0 27-06-2011 08:28 PM
Pysanky and children's literature Tara General Cooking 6 03-04-2010 06:57 AM
Fun with sourdough Cindy Fuller Baking 0 28-04-2006 04:27 AM
pda sourdough app [email protected] Sourdough 9 20-11-2003 04:37 PM