drhowarddrfinedrhoward

Default The Metropolitan Bakery Cookbook

Has anyone read this? I tried something in it and it failed.

Janet Bostwick

"drhowarddrfinedrhoward" > wrote in
message y.com...
> Has anyone read this? I tried something in it and it failed.

A review cribbed from Amazon.com: From Publisher's Weekly

The Metropolitan Bakery in Philadelphia bakes European-style pastries,
breads, spreads and salads that loyal customers have devoured over the past
10 years, helping the business expand into five retail locations and into
mail order. Here chefs Barrett and Born share classics like Whole Grain
Sandwich Bread, Fig Bars, Almond Croissants and luscious surprises like
Blood Orange Eclairs. Directions are minimal, so home cooks would be wise to
have a more comprehensive bread baking guide on hand. But even students who
have mastered the foundation recipes for Whole Wheat Starter, Danish Dough
and a variety of tart pastries, have still to ace creams and fillers like
homemade dressing and marinated chicken for the deceptively simple-sounding
Seared Chicken and Maytag Blue Cheese Sandwich. Home cooks should keep handy
post-it notes for the cross-referencing required. Portions are restaurant
sized (Raisin Bran Muffins makes 24). Faithful bakery goers may be thrilled
to make their own Orange-Tarragon Savarin (soaked cakes), and Grilled
Gruyere Cheese and Apple-Currant Chutney sandwich is an inspired
combination, but the weekend gourmand will probably be more inspired to head
to the store.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Based on your posting, I would guess that whatever you tried was beyond your
skill level.

Dick Adams

"drhowarddrfinedrhoward" >
wrote in message
y.com...

> Has anyone read this? I tried something in it and it failed.

You could try pressing a leaf in it. That should work*!

See how reviewers lie:

http://www.lisaekus.com/food%5Fmedia...itanbakery.htm

---
DickA
___________________
* Maybe what you tried in it was too thick?

Bob

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:28:47 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>> Has anyone read this? I tried something in it and it failed.

>A review cribbed from Amazon.com: From Publisher's Weekly

[snip - so Adams doesn't have a coronary.]

>Based on your posting, I would guess that whatever you tried was beyond your
>skill level.

When one attempts new recipes, it is assumed that they are beyond a
person's skill. Sometimes, however, it is the book that is incomplete
in terms of its instructions.

Also, as we know, bread recipes are notoriously confused because of
the impossiblilty to relate the flour content accurately, even if one
uses weight measure.

It is important for one to follow the directions exactly the first
time - no improvisation allowed until you master the recipe.

Bob

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:36:25 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
wrote:

>See how reviewers lie:

That's probably because the publisher of that book advertises in their
magazines.

Most topical magazines have a deal where you buy a series of ads and
the reviewers write a favorable review about your product.

Sometimes it is so blatant that the ad will run right next to the the
review.

drhowarddrfinedrhoward

Based on your posting, you must easily be swayed by advertising.

Janet Bostwick

"drhowarddrfinedrhoward" > wrote in
message . ..
> Based on your posting, you must easily be swayed by advertising.

My commentary was a jibe your incomplete method of communicating. Who,
what, when, where and why are always helpful when you are asking for help or
advice. My posting has nothing to do with advertising. I didn't buy the
book or try a recipe in it, you did.
Janet

Cookbook Suggestion: was (2009-03-08) NS-RFC: The RFC Cookbook on-line Boron Elgar General Cooking 0 09-03-2009 02:52 PM
Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions - Tonight at 7PM L. Credit Where Due T.[_3_] General Cooking 0 07-06-2007 09:53 AM
Town needs bakery bumblebee4451 Baking 3 13-01-2005 10:52 PM
Suggestion: Name for Bakery Finocchio568 General Cooking 79 30-12-2003 08:25 PM
Suggestion: Need Name for Bakery Finocchio568 Baking 23 13-11-2003 07:28 AM