Bob

Default OT Kimchi

Well, it is not altogether OT for a bunch of Fermentation Freaks (TM).
I would have posted this to the Kimchi forum, but there isn't one.

Kimchi is not only delicious - when made with red pepper and not hot
pepper,and when made with cabbage and small Korean radishes - but it
is healthy food and fun to make.

It goes with just about anything that sourdough goes with - catfish
Po' Boys, BBQ pork ribs, Texas BBQ brisket, etc. - the really good
things in life.

Adams can even make it in his infamous crock pot. Let's see - rye
sourdough glop and kimchi. It may be a delicacy the world needs to
discover.

So, are there any kimchi makers out there? Or picklers in general? I
am as new to pickling as I am new to sourdough.

BTW, it's the same LB that makes sourdough, so I thought if you are
into fermenting flour, you might be into fermenting cabbage and
radishes.

I wonder if there is a market for sourdough in Korea? Kimchi is the
national dish, like grits is to the South. They eat it at least 3
times a day. Maybe some enterprising baker could introduce them to the
joys of sourdough with its sour taste and make a few million in the
process.

Adams, get that crockpot ready to make Kimchi Rye Sourdough Glop.

Ken Willets

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> BTW, it's the same LB that makes sourdough, so I thought if you are into
> fermenting flour, you might be into fermenting cabbage and radishes.

That's useful information. I once seeded a starter with a piece of
cabbage kimchee, and it seemed to work. Took a while to get the red
pepper flakes out though.

> I wonder if there is a market for sourdough in Korea? Kimchi is the

I did see Sourdough on the counter at some of the bakeries there
recently, but it didn't look like a big seller. Most bread in Korea is
sweet and pastry-like, sold in cafes to eat with tea or coffee. Savory
breads are not a big part of the diet.

Easy kimchi and the new kimchi pot koko General Cooking 10 14-03-2016 06:47 PM
kimchi notbob General Cooking 15 28-01-2014 03:05 AM
Kimchi Silvar Beitel[_2_] General Cooking 4 27-02-2013 03:46 AM
Kimchi thehungrywife Asian Cooking 2 24-05-2010 11:34 AM
Oi kimchi Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 49 23-08-2009 05:27 PM