Keven Ruf

Default Crusts keep cracking

I use a baking stone and slide my bread in onto it with a peel. Then
when I pull it out after resisting the urge to take a peak, it almost
always has cracked in a major way between the flat bottom of the crust
and the side of the loaf. I have a pan of hot water in the oven with
the bread and spray the sides of the oven a couple times in the first
few minutes. What could be the cause, too much heat? Is this because
of a too-dry loaf when it goes in? Would spraying water on the loaf
as it is proofing help?

--Keven.
Dick Adams

Keven, if you take more of the rise outside of the oven, there
will not be so much expansive force when the loaf goes in=20
and encounters the oven heat. That force develops very
rapidly and can therefore rupture the crust.

The quality of the dough is quite important. Good dough,
adequately hydrated, can accommodate a sudden increase=20
in volume better than a poor or defective dough can.

It is important to prevent the crust from drying out during the=20
rise -- probably more important than humidifying the oven if
much of the rise is taken before baking.

"Keven Ruf" > wrote in message =
om...
>I use a baking stone and slide my bread in onto it with a peel. =20
>Then when I pull it out after resisting the urge to take a peak,=20
>it almost always has cracked in a major way between the flat=20
>bottom of the crust and the side of the loaf. I have a pan of=20
>hot water in the oven with the bread and spray the sides of the=20
>oven a couple times in the first few minutes. What could be the=20
>cause, too much heat? Is this because of a too-dry loaf when it=20
>goes in? Would spraying water on the loaf as it is proofing help?

..

Samartha Deva

Keven,

Assuming you do not slash your loaf, because you don't mention it and
also assuming it's a round (kind of semi spheric) loaf shape, because
you don't mention it, could it be that the most stressed part of the
upper crust are the sides when you have some oven spring and that's why
they break?

Underfermentation can also be a reason in favor of your symptoms.

Keven Ruf wrote:

> I use a baking stone and slide my bread in onto it with a peel. Then
> when I pull it out after resisting the urge to take a peak, it almost
> always has cracked in a major way between the flat bottom of the crust
> and the side of the loaf.

Hmh - resisting urges when baking SD bread? You know that this can have
serious consequences - ulcers, high blood pressure, to name a few. It's
really good to avoid letting it get into a habit and it's ok to take a
quick peek, at least none of my breads got ever insulted, they actually
like to be watched and admired. Also, if your oven bakes uneven, for
example more heat on the back side (as mine does at times), you may want
to rotate the loafs to get even browning and consequently need to "peek"
to check it out. There are always good excuses to avoid stupid rules
trying to spoil one's fun.

> I have a pan of hot water in the oven with
> the bread and spray the sides of the oven a couple times in the first
> few minutes. What could be the cause, too much heat?

Too much heat shows in blackened/charred spots in the crust, very dark
crust outside with unbaked inside. If the loaf rises, be happy, that's
one of the desired goals: rise, the more the better (mostly).

Maybe you just need to guide the rise by slashing?

> Is this because
> of a too-dry loaf when it goes in? Would spraying water on the loaf
> as it is proofing help?

I don't understand this. The dry dough part - what makes you think so?
The ..water on the loaf as it is proofing.., what do you mean?

This water/steam/crust business appears complex with the heat transfer
increase by steam and crust staying longer soft. What I found is that I
get a thin crust when I spray too much onto the loafs and that's not
what I want, so I don't do it so much.

Ok?

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/

All of my stoneware's glaze is cracking phaeton General Cooking 16 12-12-2011 01:35 AM
Cracking the vase dogma_i Vz Tea 5 25-04-2009 02:37 PM
What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake? Chris Wilkins Baking 2 12-11-2003 02:31 AM
What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ? Chris Wilkins Baking 9 21-10-2003 06:37 AM