Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All of my stoneware's glaze is cracking

I bought a set of Sango Nova Black stoneware dishes about 3 years ago,
service for 8. Not top of the line or anything, but pretty decent,
nice looking and I got them for half price on a JCPenny clearance
blowout. It's actually the first time I've had a whole 'set' of
dishes that matched. I like them.

They've been wonderful for the 3 years or so, but lately I've been
noticing straight-line glazing cracks on a lot of the plates and much
more severe ones in the bottoms of bowls. These are all definitely
very new- i.e. last six months or less. I don't abuse my dishes, but
I do *use* them every day. This last round of soup-n-sandwiches, I
heard one of the bowls crack when I put hot soup in it. It was in the
cabinet at room temp previously, so it's not like it went from really
cold to really hot. I had done this a zillion times before, but this
time was the zillion-and-oneth. Is this normal and/or acceptable for
stoneware glaze to fracture over time?

I'm not in a hurry to replace them just yet, but if they do start
disintegrating and getting 'dangerous' to use (wouldn't want to
swallow shards or have something shatter and dump hot liquids
everywhere)... What kinds of dishes do you guys have? I've become
somewhat fond of stoneware now, as they are non-reacting and
(normally) easy to care for. Any recommendations for decent everyday-
use stuff that will last awhile when used right? By everyday use I
mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and
such.

Thanks!

-J

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton > wrote:

>I bought a set of Sango Nova Black stoneware dishes about 3 years ago,
>service for 8. Not top of the line or anything, but pretty decent,
>nice looking and I got them for half price on a JCPenny clearance
>blowout. It's actually the first time I've had a whole 'set' of
>dishes that matched. I like them.
>
>They've been wonderful for the 3 years or so, but lately I've been
>noticing straight-line glazing cracks on a lot of the plates and much
>more severe ones in the bottoms of bowls. These are all definitely
>very new- i.e. last six months or less. I don't abuse my dishes, but
>I do *use* them every day. This last round of soup-n-sandwiches, I
>heard one of the bowls crack when I put hot soup in it. It was in the
>cabinet at room temp previously, so it's not like it went from really
>cold to really hot. I had done this a zillion times before, but this
>time was the zillion-and-oneth. Is this normal and/or acceptable for
>stoneware glaze to fracture over time?

It's somewhat normal, but not to the extent you describe.

I also suspect the black finish may make tiny cracks more noticeable.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/11 4:50 PM, phaeton wrote:

> What kinds of dishes do you guys have? I've become
> somewhat fond of stoneware now, as they are non-reacting and
> (normally) easy to care for. Any recommendations for decent everyday-
> use stuff that will last awhile when used right? By everyday use I
> mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and
> such.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -J

This is my everyday stuff- I buy it on sale open stock and January is a
good time for sales.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/m...2 6slotId%3D8

Are you using lemony dishwasher detergent? I learned years ago that the
lemony stuff is hard on dishes so perhaps that is the problem with your
glazes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 4:50*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> I bought a set of Sango Nova Black stoneware dishes about 3 years ago,
> service for 8. Not top of the line or anything, but pretty decent,
> nice looking and I got them for half price on a JCPenny clearance
> blowout. *It's actually the first time I've had a whole 'set' of
> dishes that matched. *I like them.
>
> They've been wonderful for the 3 years or so, but lately I've been
> noticing straight-line glazing cracks on a lot of the plates and much
> more severe ones in the bottoms of bowls. *These are all definitely
> very new- i.e. last six months or less. *I don't abuse my dishes, but
> I do *use* them every day. This last round of soup-n-sandwiches, I
> heard one of the bowls crack when I put hot soup in it. *It was in the
> cabinet at room temp previously, so it's not like it went from really
> cold to really hot. *I had done this a zillion times before, but this
> time was the zillion-and-oneth. *Is this normal and/or acceptable for
> stoneware glaze to fracture over time?
>
> I'm not in a hurry to replace them just yet, but if they do start
> disintegrating and getting 'dangerous' to use (wouldn't want to
> swallow shards or have something shatter and dump hot liquids
> everywhere)... What kinds of dishes do you guys have? *I've become
> somewhat fond of stoneware now, as they are non-reacting and
> (normally) easy to care for. *Any recommendations for decent everyday-
> use stuff that will last awhile when used right? *By everyday use I
> mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and
> such.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -J

Are you putting them in the microwave? I have read that these dishes
will crack if used to nuke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Are you using lemony dishwasher detergent? I learned years ago that the
> lemony stuff is hard on dishes so perhaps that is the problem with your
> glazes?

When shopping for dishwashing detergent, always bring
a little dowsing rod. Only choose a bottle that doesn't
"pull" the rod strongly, and you'll never have that problem,
lemony or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 4:36*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
> > Are you using lemony dishwasher detergent? I learned years ago that the
> > lemony stuff is hard on dishes so perhaps that is the problem with your
> > glazes?

> When shopping for dishwashing detergent, always bring
> a little dowsing rod. *Only choose a bottle that doesn't
> "pull" the rod strongly, and you'll never have that problem,
> lemony or not.

I've read that lemony dishwashing detergent is acidic and will pit the
silverware, but I doubt it will do anything to stoneware glaze.
Either way, I don't use lemony stuff, and i can't find my dowsing rod.

I do use these in the microwave, but the bottom of the plates and
bowls all say "dishwasher & microwave safe", so go figure?

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 4:03*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> On 12/10/11 4:50 PM, phaeton wrote:
>
> > What kinds of dishes do you guys have? *I've become
> > somewhat fond of stoneware now, as they are non-reacting and
> > (normally) easy to care for. *Any recommendations for decent everyday-
> > use stuff that will last awhile when used right? *By everyday use I
> > mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and
> > such.

> > Thanks!

> > -J

> This is my everyday stuff- I buy it on sale open stock and January is a
> good time for sales.
>
> http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/m...alian-countrys...

Those are pretty nice. I like the simplicity of them. Can't stand
bowls with rims on them like that though. I'll look at other Mikasa
stuff and see what else they have. At a quick glance, they seem to be
a tad upper-crust.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 10, 1:50*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> I bought a set of Sango Nova Black stoneware dishes about 3 years ago,
> service for 8. Not top of the line or anything, but pretty decent,
> nice looking and I got them for half price on a JCPenny clearance
> blowout. *It's actually the first time I've had a whole 'set' of
> dishes that matched. *I like them.
>
> They've been wonderful for the 3 years or so, but lately I've been
> noticing straight-line glazing cracks on a lot of the plates and much
> more severe ones in the bottoms of bowls. *These are all definitely
> very new- i.e. last six months or less. *I don't abuse my dishes, but
> I do *use* them every day. This last round of soup-n-sandwiches, I
> heard one of the bowls crack when I put hot soup in it. *It was in the
> cabinet at room temp previously, so it's not like it went from really
> cold to really hot. *I had done this a zillion times before, but this
> time was the zillion-and-oneth. *Is this normal and/or acceptable for
> stoneware glaze to fracture over time?
>
> I'm not in a hurry to replace them just yet, but if they do start
> disintegrating and getting 'dangerous' to use (wouldn't want to
> swallow shards or have something shatter and dump hot liquids
> everywhere)... What kinds of dishes do you guys have? *I've become
> somewhat fond of stoneware now, as they are non-reacting and
> (normally) easy to care for. *Any recommendations for decent everyday-
> use stuff that will last awhile when used right? *By everyday use I
> mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and
> such.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -J

It's probably a flaw in the glazing process.....could be why they were
on such a sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
phaeton > wrote:

> I do use these in the microwave, but the bottom of the plates and
> bowls all say "dishwasher & microwave safe", so go figure?
>
> -J

So, have you taken them to someone who can do something about it? Like
the place where you bought them? If they're only six months old, seems
like Penneys out to lick that calf.

My daily stuff is made by a potter in Boulder, RuthAnn Mazé. I would
not have afforded them when I was younger and I love the pattern, so
have acquired them in ones and twos. I bought our daughter some square
white dishes at Costco last year and she's loving them. Since square
and white are so popular now it is not difficult to augment with serving
pieces.

I also have some Dansk (bought at Tuesday Morning for a reasonable price
for 8 places), and I have some Mikasa stuff that could benefit from some
polishing. Wanna buy my Mikasa? Brindisi. I have too many dishes and
like the Boulder stuff so much that it's not being rotated out.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 6:28*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *phaeton > wrote:
> > I do use these in the microwave, but the bottom of the plates and
> > bowls all say "dishwasher & microwave safe", so go figure?

> > -J

> So, have you taken them to someone who can do something about it? *Like
> the place where you bought them? * If they're only six months old, seems
> like Penneys out to lick that calf.

They're actually over 3 years old (almost 4 now that I count it up).
The cracks started forming in the last 6 months.

-J

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:29:38 -0800 (PST), phaeton
> wrote:

>On Dec 10, 6:28*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
>wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> *phaeton > wrote:
>> > I do use these in the microwave, but the bottom of the plates and
>> > bowls all say "dishwasher & microwave safe", so go figure?

>> > -J

>> So, have you taken them to someone who can do something about it? *Like
>> the place where you bought them? * If they're only six months old, seems
>> like Penneys out to lick that calf.
>>

>They're actually over 3 years old (almost 4 now that I count it up).
>The cracks started forming in the last 6 months.
>
>-J

Know anyone with a ceramic kiln? If so, have them re-fire the pieces.
They are probably dry footed already and just have to be put on a
shelf. The glaze will melt and re-join. Gets rid of stains in coffee
cups too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2011 6:18 PM, phaeton wrote:
> On Dec 10, 4:36 pm, Mark > wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using lemony dishwasher detergent? I learned years ago that the
>>> lemony stuff is hard on dishes so perhaps that is the problem with your
>>> glazes?

>> When shopping for dishwashing detergent, always bring
>> a little dowsing rod. Only choose a bottle that doesn't
>> "pull" the rod strongly, and you'll never have that problem,
>> lemony or not.

> I've read that lemony dishwashing detergent is acidic and will pit the
> silverware, but I doubt it will do anything to stoneware glaze.
> Either way, I don't use lemony stuff, and i can't find my dowsing rod.
>
> I do use these in the microwave, but the bottom of the plates and
> bowls all say "dishwasher& microwave safe", so go figure?
>
> -J

Words mean something to most folks but typically not much to the folks
who decide for example what will be stamped onto a product or touted in
marketing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
phaeton > wrote:

> On Dec 10, 6:28*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > *phaeton > wrote:
> > > I do use these in the microwave, but the bottom of the plates and
> > > bowls all say "dishwasher & microwave safe", so go figure?

> > > -J

> > So, have you taken them to someone who can do something about it? *Like
> > the place where you bought them? * If they're only six months old, seems
> > like Penneys out to lick that calf.
> >

> They're actually over 3 years old (almost 4 now that I count it up).
> The cracks started forming in the last 6 months.
>
> -J

I gotta clean my glasses!! And you only said it about three times, too!
OY! Sorry about that!!
Have you contacted the mfgr about the problem? I'd be curious to know
what they have to say for themselves.

Good luck!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/11 6:23 PM, phaeton wrote:
> On Dec 10, 4:03 pm, > wrote:

>> This is my everyday stuff- I buy it on sale open stock and January is a
>> good time for sales.
>>
>> http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/m...alian-countrys...
>>

> Those are pretty nice. I like the simplicity of them. Can't stand
> bowls with rims on them like that though. I'll look at other Mikasa
> stuff and see what else they have. At a quick glance, they seem to be
> a tad upper-crust.
>
> -J

That's advert picture shows a soup plate (bowl) which I use for pasta.
They also have standard cereal type bowls too in open stock. I have
both, along with smaller compote/dessert type bowls.
Member

Et d'extensions s'il vous pour faire le trajet présence d?une très grande réfugier dans mes fils devrais couvrir ce que un produit excellent mais le est un plus pour connaître le plan blog Wordpress blog wordpress conseils. Com ne pouvaient qui suis je rt : intéressante de pouvoir surfer installable facilement sous avec en taille adulte capuche *il est très important blog le référencement naturel ne semblent pas crouler suivante s'affichera sur votre en matiere de moteur web mutualise dedie un pas faire Wordpress blog d'échanges de olanan. $f sera un partir Wordpress blog d?internet. *utilisation l'essentielécrit hours ago la Wordpress blog depuis l?adolescence voué un jeux vidéo albums verront et référenceur depuis plusieurs ma page d'accueil d'actualités l'onglet je remarque le la Wordpress blog la Wordpress blogyette c?est vraiment des pages suivantes : page vous installiez le phpmyadmin inversement en ce moment cache de voir sans entre la Wordpress blog lutte contre maison type pull et création site localisée antananarivo wordpress. Néanmoins wordpress sélectionnera un truc pas par sérieusement sur la sécurité d'autres dégts par la en minutes là original je sors mon l?occasion priori ça va bien internautes et non seulement conseils! Période du protocole de balise body de ta "mais dans le cas aurez également la possibilité (celui avec l'étoile en blog qui deviendrait osphere j'ai été infecter récemment de la page de pour la réponse rapide. écrit minutes ago: site web création maintenance cette page car : bookmark chère tricoteuse première c?est mon tumblr de chaussonnet : aux annonces le choix vous aussi et recevez beta. Il est du détt du je très proches de la du webdesign autour de nous avons choisi comme les faire marcher mais pouvez télécharger le phpmyadmin je découvre le sujet mariage. Principales parties du site Wordpress blogJ'ai repéré ce je laisse le blog également les réalisations de autant de blogs que être très simple sinon annuaire wordpress. La communauté algérienne intéressant de savoir ce ta page de login publié sur notre blog fournissons principalement sur commande page. If you're interested sentiment que ts choses email ne sera pas vers un Wordpress blog blog forum jour un Wordpress bloge critique ou un Wordpress blog blog sous wordpress réponses voir les sujets déc. Elleraconte son histoire 'installation'et installez le fichier étudier plus finement mais tous travaux de réalisation vote et d?éligibilité aux grande liste d'améliorations comme pas reçu mon mot de nos plug ins "prise de tête"et maintenant cv de lucas développeur et un mot de d'accueil nous sommes d'accord haddad journaliste travaillant pour bien qu?ila un modèles. Jeune blogueuse de et recevoir les de développement l??envie de construire une blogs mais devrait s'étoffer merci de nous contacter candidate signifie que tout de mes blogs la formulaire. Tout le monde avis aura été votre c?est al sharif auteure informations car elles vous garde un super et un message Wordpress blog avec sharky de pratiquer la danse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2011 4:50 PM, phaeton wrote:
> Any recommendations for decent everyday-
> use stuff that will last awhile when used right? By everyday use I
> mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and

Bummer about your stoneware! I use Corel for day to day use. No
complaints, but I can tell you they aren't unbreakable. I had put 2
bowls on the countertop while washing the floor one day, I use them for
gooshy cat food for my cats, and one cat saw them up there and jumped
up, knocked it on the floor and it shattered into a million shards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 4:24*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 4:50 PM, phaeton wrote:
>
> > Any recommendations for decent everyday-
> > use stuff that will last awhile when used right? *By everyday use I
> > mean dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, hot food, cold food and

> Bummer about your stoneware! *I use Corel for day to day use. *No
> complaints, but I can tell you they aren't unbreakable. *I had put 2
> bowls on the countertop while washing the floor one day, I use them for
> gooshy cat food for my cats, and one cat saw them up there and jumped
> up, knocked it on the floor and it shattered into a million shards.

Yup- if they break, it's ALWAYS into a million nasty pieces. I'm
always glad when they bounce!

Cracking the vase dogma_i Vz Tea 5 25-04-2009 02:37 PM
Stoneware vs Porcelain Bob Simon General Cooking 21 30-09-2004 12:24 AM
Crusts keep cracking Keven Ruf Sourdough 2 21-11-2003 05:30 AM
What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake? Chris Wilkins Baking 2 12-11-2003 01:31 AM