Julie

Default When to fridge the starter?

I have gotten the starter pretty thick. Not pancake batter...but
thicker. Cannot be poured and the jar needs sharply tapped to get the
starter to settle semi flat. After mixing (after a feed/rise cycle) it
comes off the wooden spoon in stretchy threads. It rises at least
double now (only takes about 4-5 hours to double) and I would like to
get it to a stage where I don't feed it so often.

When would be a good time to put it in the fridge? I am somewhat
worried about putting it in there and killing it. :-(

How long should it rest after I feed it before putting it into the
fridge for the first time?

I've put some discarded starter into the fridge ..but it is a batter
thickness. I used the discard as an experiment (If I lose it it
doesn't matter.). BUT I don't want to put my main starter in without
having it tip top first.

The amount of starter I keep in the jars (I have two) is quite small.
Once fed I end up keeping about 1/3 cup in one and 1/4 in the other
for the rise.

What do you do with yours?

Thanks

Cheers
Julie
Samartha Deva

Best to store is at phase 2 or 3:

http://samartha.net/SD/SourdoughDefinition.html#GC

I refresh every 2 month (unless I use before), keep in fridge at
hydration 100 % (1/2 water & flour by weight) and amount is typically 40
- 60 g.

No resting time requires, just put it in when it starts to get active.

Not much to worry, it would probably survive freezing, but it may change
if it's not used to it, so don't freeze it.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
Mike Pearce

"Ignoramus23502" > wrote:

> Also it is easier to keep more starter in a big jar without the need
> to double it several times prior to each baking -- a very time
> consuming task.

Yeah, it's a little bit easier. I used to do it this way and have had far
more consistent results since I've switched to growing a small bit of
starter so that it's very active before I go into the next stage of my
baking. It's time consuming from the time I start growing it until the time
it's ready for use, but it takes, at most, five or ten minutes of my time.

-Mike

Julie

"Mike Pearce" > wrote in message news:<Dh%ib.75506$sp2.16297@lakeread04>...
> "Ignoramus23502" > wrote:
>

> > Also it is easier to keep more starter in a big jar without the need
> > to double it several times prior to each baking -- a very time
> > consuming task.

Why can't I see any of Ignoramus's original posts...I can only see the
snips from others responding to his/her posts.

Cheers
Julie
Ignoramus4027

you are using google, that's why

In article >, Julie wrote:
> "Mike Pearce" > wrote in message news:<Dh%ib.75506$sp2.16297@lakeread04>...
>> "Ignoramus23502" > wrote:
>>

>> > Also it is easier to keep more starter in a big jar without the need
>> > to double it several times prior to each baking -- a very time
>> > consuming task.

> Why can't I see any of Ignoramus's original posts...I can only see the
> snips from others responding to his/her posts.
>
> Cheers
> Julie

Bob

On 15 Oct 2003 18:36:14 GMT, Ignoramus4027
> wrote:

>> Why can't I see any of Ignoramus's original posts...I can only see the
>> snips from others responding to his/her posts.

>you are using google, that's why

Google doesn't like you?

Dick Adams

"Julie" > wrote in message =
om...

> Why can't I see any of Ignoramus's original posts.

Possibly a providential phenomenon. Most of those posts
did not reach the Google archive for some reason unknown
to me. However, "Bob's" vacuous ramblings all seem to get=20
through. Otherwise one might suspect that Google had
learned how to screen totally phony identities and email
addresses.

> I can only see the snips from others responding to his/her=20
> posts.

Most posters do no respond to posters for whom no email
address is available. So there won't be too many of those.

Until the present avalanche of aggressive ignorance at r.f.s.
subsides, you might consider reviewing the archived information
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=3Den

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com