Samartha Deva

Default Sourdough lives!

Breadworks Bakery in Boulder/CO:

The recently voted Best Bakery by the local newspaper Daily Camera's
feature of people's choice awards has a spec sheet of all their breads
sold.

Lo and behold, their specialty breads and everyday breads totaling 26
different types of bread have only four containing "yeast": Challah,
Pretzels (with sourdough), Focaccia Roll (with white starter) and Rustic
Roll.

All the other's are made with sourdough starter, whole wheat starter,
light rye starter, rye starter, semolina starter.

They use exclusively organic flours.

Besides breads, they produce a wide selection on pastries and cakes. A
great part of their production is for local restaurants and other retail
outlets.

Seems like another bakery having a handle on sourdough.

Roy Basan,

why don't you tell us a couple more anecdotes about the unmanageability
of the sourdough monsters, like my favorate one, where you hang out in
German bakeries and listen to customers asking questions:

> I have been there and have not seen
> or heard a costumer who will ask to the bakery salespeople if he/or
> she is buying natural sourdough?

As seen on August 30, 2003 in the thread: "How do you know if you caught
Fleischmann's yeast by mistake?"

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
alzelt

Samartha Deva wrote:

> Breadworks Bakery in Boulder/CO:
>
> The recently voted Best Bakery by the local newspaper Daily Camera's
> feature of people's choice awards has a spec sheet of all their breads
> sold.
>
> Lo and behold, their specialty breads and everyday breads totaling 26
> different types of bread have only four containing "yeast": Challah,
> Pretzels (with sourdough), Focaccia Roll (with white starter) and Rustic
> Roll.
>
> All the other's are made with sourdough starter, whole wheat starter,
> light rye starter, rye starter, semolina starter.
>
> They use exclusively organic flours.
>
> Besides breads, they produce a wide selection on pastries and cakes. A
> great part of their production is for local restaurants and other retail
> outlets.
>
> Seems like another bakery having a handle on sourdough.
>
> Roy Basan,
>
> why don't you tell us a couple more anecdotes about the unmanageability
> of the sourdough monsters, like my favorate one, where you hang out in
> German bakeries and listen to customers asking questions:
>

>>I have been there and have not seen
>>or heard a costumer who will ask to the bakery salespeople if he/or
>>she is buying natural sourdough?

> As seen on August 30, 2003 in the thread: "How do you know if you caught
> Fleischmann's yeast by mistake?"
>

> Samartha

Not sure why commercial bakeries would not be using sourdough. I have
been watching this thread develop, and said, something is wrong here.
Living in Seattle, I have two or three favorite bakeries. Most of their
artisan breads are levain based. The local Safeways (god forbid!!) also
make several breads with a levain.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Ping sf and anyone else who lives there Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 21 23-08-2014 08:53 PM
FDA approved ....run fer yer lives! notbob General Cooking 9 08-06-2014 11:41 PM
Lou's smoker lives on. max General Cooking 33 13-01-2013 03:29 PM
No Lives Don General Cooking 1 10-02-2009 12:04 PM
Ma Lives! Melba's Jammin' Preserving 0 14-10-2008 03:09 AM