Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default My first sourdough

I want to say thanks to all of the knowledgeable people here at r.f.s.

I've been lurking and learning for awhile now and this week, got down to the task.

I started a new starter using light rye flour (50g) and bottled water (50g).

Fed twice daily for 5 days, kept at ~85°.

The sponge was 1/4 cup starter, 1 cup white bread flour, 1 cup water.
Fermented at 70° for 12 hours.

To the fermented sponge I added an additional 1 2/3rd's cup of flour and 1 rounded teaspoon of kosher salt.

This formed a slightly wet dough what which I let rest for 60 minutes, covered by the mixing bowl at 70°.

I flattened and folded it 5 times over the next 4 hours.

I formed the dough and let the final rise happen in a cold oven (75°) for about 4 - 4 1/2 hours.
A little more than double in size. Spritzed with water a couple time during the rise.

From the cold oven I began baking at 400° for 50 mins, with a last spray of water 10 mins into baking.

This is how it turned out, I was very happy with the result, a light to medium sour taste, chewy crust and
good texture.

http://i10.tinypic.com/63r3xpg.jpg

Special thanks to Dusty and his very informative and straightforward web page.

http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...dough/SBSB.htm

I'm looking forward to learning more & refining my technique.

Thanks again to you all.

David.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On May 20, 8:15 pm, "David" <cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom> wrote:
> I want to say thanks to all of the knowledgeable people here at r.f.s.
>
> I've been lurking and learning for awhile now and this week, got down to the task.

> http://i10.tinypic.com/63r3xpg.jpg

Ed replies:

to: David the Lurker.

Congratulations - that is awesome looking bread. You picked a
straightforward approach that was successful.

Given enough time you will have a digital thermometer, an electronic
scale, French sea salt, and a portable wine cooler for 16 hour
extended proofs. The results won't be much different though - trust me
(well at least with the wine cooler - don't get one).

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Later,
Ed Bechtel

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

G'day David & all;

"David" <cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom> wrote in message
>I want to say thanks to all of the knowledgeable people here at r.f.s.

> This is how it turned out, I was very happy with the result, a light to
> medium
> sour taste, chewy crust and good texture.
> http://i10.tinypic.com/63r3xpg.jpg

A good lookin' loaf, David!

> Special thanks to Dusty and his very informative and straightforward web
> page.
> http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...dough/SBSB.htm

I'm delighted that my 'simple' methods worked for you as well...(:-o)!

> I'm looking forward to learning more & refining my technique.

That's the spirit! Keep up with that attitude, and you'll be bakin' circles
around most of those posting here--myself included--in no time...(:-o)!

Best regards,
Dusty

> Thanks again to you all.
>
> David.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Ed wrote:

> Given enough time you will have a digital thermometer, an electronic
> scale, French sea salt, and a portable wine cooler for 16 hour
> extended proofs. The results won't be much different though - trust me
> (well at least with the wine cooler - don't get one).
>
> Ed Bechtel

Huh... Your comment just awakened a thought!

I was in my local Walgreen's the other night, and saw in passing a
portable cooler/warmer unit. Peltier heat pump, 120 VAC or 12 VDC, Big
enough for 9 soda cans, it said. Cools down to 45F below ambient, heats up
to 60F above ambient. $29.95

Now, I'll have to go look and see if it has a thermostat, or just runs
wide open. I have a couple of process temp controllers I salvaged years
ago, so it would be very easy to add a thermostat, if not.

At that price, it would be worth it just as an axperiment!

Dave
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Ed" > wrote in message ups.com...

> [ ... ]
> Given enough time you will have a digital thermometer, an electronic
> scale, French sea salt, and a portable wine cooler for 16 hour
> extended proofs. The results won't be much different though - trust me
> (well at least with the wine cooler - don't get one).

I think that dial thermometers are nice, but they, for some reason, are
not sold in consumer stores. I think they should sell for about $5.
The glass on mine got broken, and I am trying to find a replacement.
Digital is unnecessary, and adds fragility. Amazon has a nice selection
of kitchen thermometers. A mechanical over thermometer is nice if you
don't trust your oven thermostat.

Salt is salt. Some kinds are more dirty.

By me, volume measures which measure to the top are easiest, but it
is nice to have some sort of a scale to find out how much a cup of one's
flour weighs. Tomato sauce comes in neat little 1-cup (8 fl. oz.) cans.
Lots of things come in 2-cup cans. Big bean cans contain 3.5 cups,
which is the right amount of flour for one bread loaf.

A rectangle of laminate ("Formica") sharpened on one edge with a
file is very handy as a counter scraper. Mine has a handle on the
edge opposite the sharpened side.

A really good thing to have is a plastic cover to put over the rising
loaves so they do not dry out. I use part of a clothing storage box
for that. Actually, I have such covers in several sizes. For cold
days, I have a base that adds the right amount of heat for loaf
rising. Actually several bases in several sizes.

In other words, I am saying that I think that you don't have to get
a lot of fancy stuff in order to make SD bread, if you get my drift.
Bread loaves rise fine at ordinary household temperatures, and
starter cultures likewise grow just fine, so temperature control is
an optional luxury. But, compared with the various other possibilities
for dicking around with your dough, it rather makes the most sense.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 20 May 2007 21:15:27 -0600, "David"
<cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom> wrote:

>I want to say thanks to all of the knowledgeable people here at r.f.s.
>
>I've been lurking and learning for awhile now and this week, got down to the task.
>
>I started a new starter using light rye flour (50g) and bottled water (50g).
>
>Fed twice daily for 5 days, kept at ~85°.
>
>The sponge was 1/4 cup starter, 1 cup white bread flour, 1 cup water.
>Fermented at 70° for 12 hours.
>
>To the fermented sponge I added an additional 1 2/3rd's cup of flour and 1 rounded teaspoon of kosher salt.
>
>This formed a slightly wet dough what which I let rest for 60 minutes, covered by the mixing bowl at 70°.
>
>I flattened and folded it 5 times over the next 4 hours.
>
>I formed the dough and let the final rise happen in a cold oven (75°) for about 4 - 4 1/2 hours.
>A little more than double in size. Spritzed with water a couple time during the rise.
>
>From the cold oven I began baking at 400° for 50 mins, with a last spray of water 10 mins into baking.
>
>This is how it turned out, I was very happy with the result, a light to medium sour taste, chewy crust and
>good texture.
>
>http://i10.tinypic.com/63r3xpg.jpg
>
>Special thanks to Dusty and his very informative and straightforward web page.
>
>http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...dough/SBSB.htm
>
>I'm looking forward to learning more & refining my technique.
>
>Thanks again to you all.
>
>David.

I finally was able to find time to use Dusty's recipe for a small
sourdough loaf yesterday. It turned out GREAT! It even pleased the
discriminating taste preferences of my wife. Who could ask for better
results.

I baked it in a 9X5 pan because that's the way my wife wants it. Bake
time was 45 minutes from cold oven. Otherwise, David's excellent
summary, above, describes my experience well. I enjoyed not hearing
the noise of the mixer. The stretch and fold technique worked very
well. Seeing and feeling the dough progress through the stretch and
fold iterations was enjoyable and, I think, a big learning experienc.
Overall, it was an enjoyable experience with a beautiful and tasty
product.

Also, I've used the sourdough pizza recipe on Dusty's site with
wonderful results. And, it's fun! I'll never again buy a pizza.

Thank you, Dusty!!!!

Thanks, also, to Mike Avery for his excellent web site. The videos
were very helpful to me. I'm eager to use your recipe for Kalamata
olive and rosemary sourdough after I gain more confidence.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Burney,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad your bread turned out great.

David.

"Burney Huff" > wrote in message ...
> I finally was able to find time to use Dusty's recipe for a small
> sourdough loaf yesterday. It turned out GREAT! It even pleased the
> discriminating taste preferences of my wife. Who could ask for better
> results.
>
> I baked it in a 9X5 pan because that's the way my wife wants it. Bake
> time was 45 minutes from cold oven. Otherwise, David's excellent
> summary, above, describes my experience well. I enjoyed not hearing
> the noise of the mixer. The stretch and fold technique worked very
> well. Seeing and feeling the dough progress through the stretch and
> fold iterations was enjoyable and, I think, a big learning experienc.
> Overall, it was an enjoyable experience with a beautiful and tasty
> product.
>
> Also, I've used the sourdough pizza recipe on Dusty's site with
> wonderful results. And, it's fun! I'll never again buy a pizza.
>
> Thank you, Dusty!!!!
>
> Thanks, also, to Mike Avery for his excellent web site. The videos
> were very helpful to me. I'm eager to use your recipe for Kalamata
> olive and rosemary sourdough after I gain more confidence.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

G'day "Burney Huff" & all;

"Burney Huff" > wrote in message
> I finally was able to find time to use Dusty's recipe for a small
> sourdough loaf yesterday. It turned out GREAT! It even pleased the
> discriminating taste preferences of my wife. Who could ask for better
> results.

> summary, above, describes my experience well. I enjoyed not hearing
> the noise of the mixer. The stretch and fold technique worked very
> well.

> Overall, it was an enjoyable experience with a beautiful and tasty
> product.
>
> Also, I've used the sourdough pizza recipe on Dusty's site with
> wonderful results. And, it's fun! I'll never again buy a pizza.
>
> Thank you, Dusty!!!!

You are most kind and gracious, my friend. I'm delighted that my recipes
are working as well for you as they've been doing for me (the _quantity_
issue on the pizza dough not withstanding...(:-o)!).

Now, keep baking!
Dusty -- still enjoying the SE Utah desert, soon to be relishing the Rye
loaf that's rising as I write this...

Converting Sourdough Formula To Non-Sourdough Formula KMIAA Baking 0 27-06-2011 08:28 PM
My First sourdough. David[_2_] General Cooking 0 21-05-2007 04:48 AM
Sourdough Rye Tim Recipes 0 21-12-2005 11:37 AM
SFO sourdough danube Sourdough 9 11-12-2005 06:21 PM