Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My First sourdough.

I've been a long time lurker and a small time contributor, here's one of my recent attempts.

I started a new starter using light rye flour (50g) and bottled water (50g).

Fed twice daily for 5 days, kept at ~85°.

The sponge was 1/4 cup starter, 1 cup white bread flour, 1 cup water.
Fermented at 70° for 12 hours.

To the fermented sponge I added an additional 1 2/3rd's cup of flour and 1 rounded teaspoon of kosher salt.

This formed a slightly wet dough what which I let rest for 60 minutes, covered by the mixing bowl at 70°.

I flattened and folded it 5 times over the next 4 hours.

I formed the dough and let the final rise happen in a cold oven (75°) for about 4 - 4 1/2 hours.
A little more than double in size. Spritzed with water a couple time during the rise.

From the cold oven I began baking at 400° for 50 mins, with a last spray of water 10 mins into baking.

This is how it turned out, I was very happy with the result, a light to medium sour taste, chewy crust and
good texture.

http://i10.tinypic.com/63r3xpg.jpg

Special thanks to Dusty and his very informative and straightforward web page.

http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...dough/SBSB.htm

I'm looking forward to learning more & refining my cooking/baking techniques.

Thanks to those of you who inspire me to broaden my abilities.

David.

Converting Sourdough Formula To Non-Sourdough Formula KMIAA Baking 0 27-06-2011 08:28 PM
My first sourdough David[_2_] Sourdough 7 25-05-2007 05:33 PM
Sourdough Rye Tim Recipes 0 21-12-2005 11:37 AM
SFO sourdough danube Sourdough 9 11-12-2005 06:21 PM