Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default No need to knead?

I'm intrigued by the no-knead conversation. I've rather recently started
baking 100% whole-wheat exclusively, and I've seen a BIG improvement in the
quality of my bread by extending the amount of time I knead to about 600
strokes or 20 minutes.

But it's a big pain in the ass (I don't own a mixer). Anyone try no-knead
with whole wheat? I may try it myself, eventually, but I'd prefer to hear
from someone else that it works before I ruin a batch of dough ....

--
Jeff Miller

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I use only freshly ground whole wheat flour and do not knead (at least not
very much). I create the dough in a large bowl and it never leaves the bowl
until it is time to put in the bread pans. I mix, let sit 45 minutes, roll
around and force dough into a ball (maybe spending one minute or so each
time), let it sit 45, do the same, and again until I see the dough it ready
and then let rise. When it doubles, punch down gently, tight ball again and
rise again. Then to the bread pans and the oven. I make 8 delicious loaves
each week this way. I use less starter so the dough takes more time to
'ferment' and rise and it has better flavor.

John

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.20.1157664239.36649.rec.food.sourdoug ...

> I'm intrigued by the no-knead conversation. I've rather recently started
> baking 100% whole-wheat exclusively, and I've seen a BIG improvement in
> the
> quality of my bread by extending the amount of time I knead to about 600
> strokes or 20 minutes.
>
> But it's a big pain in the ass (I don't own a mixer). Anyone try no-knead
> with whole wheat? I may try it myself, eventually, but I'd prefer to hear
> from someone else that it works before I ruin a batch of dough ....
>

> --
> Jeff Miller

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi John,

Your "less starter" method sounds good. I'd love to know about what
ratio of starter to flour you use. And how much water too. Is it a
pretty wet mix? Would your technique work well for a free form loaf?
Thanks.

Can't wait to try this no knead thing.

Eric

BigJohn wrote:
> I use only freshly ground whole wheat flour and do not knead (at least not
> very much). I create the dough in a large bowl and it never leaves the bowl
> until it is time to put in the bread pans. I mix, let sit 45 minutes, roll
> around and force dough into a ball (maybe spending one minute or so each
> time), let it sit 45, do the same, and again until I see the dough it ready
> and then let rise. When it doubles, punch down gently, tight ball again and
> rise again. Then to the bread pans and the oven. I make 8 delicious loaves
> each week this way. I use less starter so the dough takes more time to
> 'ferment' and rise and it has better flavor.
>
> John
>

> "Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> news:mailman.20.1157664239.36649.rec.food.sourdoug ...
> >
> > I'm intrigued by the no-knead conversation. I've rather recently started
> > baking 100% whole-wheat exclusively, and I've seen a BIG improvement in
> > the
> > quality of my bread by extending the amount of time I knead to about 600
> > strokes or 20 minutes.
> >
> > But it's a big pain in the ass (I don't own a mixer). Anyone try no-knead
> > with whole wheat? I may try it myself, eventually, but I'd prefer to hear
> > from someone else that it works before I ruin a batch of dough ....
> >

> > --
> > Jeff Miller

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I use 9 cups of flour with 1 1/2 cups of starter. Free form baking is fine.
I just like small loaves I can freeze so I can make it last for longer
periods of time.

ups.com...