Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default Sour Salt

I received some sour salt as a part of a gift. What do I do with it?
Carolyn

Posted to alt.food.recipes

"Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote in message
>I received some sour salt as a part of a gift. What do I do with it?
> Carolyn

Hi...Carolyn...Sour Salt is actually ...'Citric Acid'.....

Here is something on it. Explains a little about it better than I could I
think...I use it myself for bitter (sour) drinks etc..It is also used in
'canning' and it is usually bought at any supermarket as 'Citric Acid'....

Quote...

"Sour salt is citric acid, a powder extracted from acidic fruits. The
flavour is acutely sour. It is inexpensive and a small jar lasts for years.
A few grains have as much tartness as a couple of squeezes from a lemon or
lime but the salt doesn't have a strong fruit flavour. Keep some for when a
recipe calls for lemon juice and there isn't any in the house or when using
lemon juice in cake or muffin recipe would change the balance of dry to wet
ingredients.

Sour salt works best in recipes that also include sugar but the objective is
to create a pleasant balance between the sweet and sour such as in cold beet
borscht or a lemony cheese cake. I also find that sour salt tastes fresher
than bottled or concentrated lemon or lime juice."
--
Bigbazza (Barry)..Oz

Salt, salt, salt (not Jimmy Buffett) gloria p Preserving 17 28-08-2015 01:18 AM
What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?... Bigbazza[_20_] General Cooking 109 09-05-2009 01:32 AM
Sour salt Jack[_18_] General Cooking 7 13-02-2008 09:04 PM
Salt - which kind - Salt is NaCl - Sodium Chloride. **bg** Sourdough 1 05-08-2004 08:41 PM
Source of coarse salt for salt mill Mark Cooking Equipment 7 19-01-2004 11:39 PM