Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

LurfysMa

Default Good recipe for leftover chicken

About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.

Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
noodles.

My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.

Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?

Thanks

--
For email, use
MoM

"LurfysMa" > wrote in message
> About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
> supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
> make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
> thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
> noodles.
>
> My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
> Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
> too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>
> Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> For email, use

These may be a little more work but they're delicious. All can be altered
for less servings

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chicken Ala King

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
1 medium Onion ; finely chopped
1/2 cup Celery ; finely chopped
1/2 cup Green or red sweet pepper ; finely chopped
4 tablespoons Fat or oil of choice
4 tablespoons Flour
2 cups Chicken ; cooked diced
1 cup water
1 teaspoon Bovril ; chicken
1 cup Milk

-= Instructions =-
Saute onion and celery and garlic if desired in fat til softened. Add green
peppers and saute a few minutes. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Add liquids
gradually stirring to prevent lumping. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve
as desired with rice, pasta, patty shells. Recipe by Helen Peagram

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chicken Almond Stir Fry

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Poultry

-= Ingredients =-
0 ~~ -SAUCE- ~~
1/2 cup Chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon Sugar
2 teaspoons Soy sauce
1 pinch Pepper
2 teaspoons Corn starch ; tapioca starch
0 ~~ -STIR FRY- ~~
3/4 pound Boneless skinless chicken ; *
1/2 pound Bok choy or nappa
4 Water chestnuts
1/4 pound Snow peas
1/2 cup Bamboo shoots ; diced
1/4 cup Celery ; diced
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Almonds ; blanched
2 sl Ginger
2 Garlic cloves ; smashed
1/4 cup Onion ; chopped
0 ~~ Any other veggies desire ~~
0 ~~ -RICE- ~~
2 cups Water
1 cup Rice
1/2 teaspoon Salt

-= Instructions =-
* or any precooked chicken or meat

Rice: I cook mine in the microwave for 18 minutes, in a covered 2 qt
corning dish. Sauce: In a small bowl, mix half the stock with soy sauce,
sugar and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine remaining stock and
cornstarch. Set aside. (I use 1 pk bovril chicken with 1/2 cup water)
Stir Fry: Dice chicken (or pork or beef), mushrooms, cabbage, and water
Chestnuts into 1/4 inch cubes. Keep chicken separate. String and trim
peas. Combine diced vegetables, snow peas, bamboo shoots and celery. I
often vary ingredients. I use as alternatives or additions, kale, sun
chokes, jicama, or any other ingredient you like. Heat wok over high heat
til drop of water sizzles into steam. Add oil, ( only use about 1 tbsp)
heat and add almonds; stir fry for about 2 min or til just golden. With
slotted spoon, remove almonds and set aside. Reheat oil and add ginger
and garlic and stir fry 30 seconds. Remove ginger and garlic and discard.
Add chicken. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add all vegetables and toss to coat
with oil. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mix. Cover and steam for
2 minutes or til vegetables are tender but crisp and chicken cooked
through. Stir cornstarch mix and pour into wok. Stir fry uncovered for
30 seconds or til ingredients are glazed. Transfer to heated platter and
serve topped with almonds. Serve over rice.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chicken Tetrazzini

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
4 pounds Chicken ; cut up
2 tablespoons Marg
3 tablespoons Butter
1/2 pound Mushrooms ; sliced
3 sl Sweet red pepper. minced
3 sl Spanish onion ; minced
1/2 pound Linguine
3 tablespoons Flour
1/2 cup Half and half
3 tablespoons Medium dry sherry
1 ea Nutmeg ; to taste
1/2 cup Parmesan ; grated

-= Instructions =-
The day before needed, in a large pot, combine chicken with enough water to
cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or til meat is
tender. Let chickencool in broth. Separate meat from bones and skin and
return skin and bones In a large sauce pan melt butter and marg and saute
onions til translucent. Add mushrooms and cook til softened. Add flour and
red pepper. Blend well and add 1 1/2 cups stock, 1 1/2 cups cream, sherry,
nutmeg to taste, and parmesan. Simmer 5 min Cook Pasta to al dente and
serve with chicken tetrazzini sauce.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Curried Chicken

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
2 medium Onion ; chopped
1 cup Celery
4 tablespoons Flour
2 medium Green pepper
1/2 cup Fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
6 cups Cooked chicken
4 tablespoon Olive oil OR margarine
2 tablespoons Medium curry powder
28 ounces Tomatoes/ ground tomatato
2 teaspoons Salt
3 cups Chicken stock *
2/3 cup Raisins

-= Instructions =-
* I use bovril packets Chop onion, seed & dice pepper, chop celery and dice
chicken.
Saute onion & celery in margarine in large shallow pan.
Saute until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in curry and flour, cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, and green pepper, cook stirring often for 5 minutes.
Stir in parsley, salt, pepper & broth.
Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
covered.
Add chicken and raisins; heat through and serve over cooked rice.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

A Ross

In article >,
LurfysMa > wrote:

> About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
> supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
> make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
> thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
> noodles.
>
> My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
> Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
> too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>
> Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?
>
> Thanks

Chunk it up for chicken salad: add low fat mayo, diced onions, celery,
apples, and grapes, serve on lettuce leaves.

Make soup: throw the entire carcass and leftover meat in a pot, cover
with water, simmer (along with some onion, celery, and carrots) until
meat is falling off the bone. Discard bones. Adjust flavor of broth, add
more vegies, rice, or noodles.

Make a stir fry: Stir fry vegies, throw the leftover chicken meat in,
add your sauce, eat.

Amy
TonyK

"LurfysMa" > wrote in message
> About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
> supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
> make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
> thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
> noodles.
>
> My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
> Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
> too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>
> Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> For email, use

Slice an onion and lightly fry, add a spoon of generic curry powder and
pieces of cold chicken, pour a tin of cocunut milk over and let it reduce to
a thick sauce. Instant creamy chicken curry, serve with boiled rice and a
naan. Takes about 15 mins from start to finish including the rice.

LurfysMa

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:58:25 GMT, Ignoramus5275
> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:40:32 -0700, LurfysMa > wrote:
>> About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
>> supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
>> make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
>> thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
>> noodles.
>>
>> My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
>> Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
>> too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>>
>> Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?

>Depending on whether the chicken is just starting to go bad...

Noooooooo....

>if not (it is good): I would cut the meat into small cubes
>and add mayonnaise. The result is an edible salad type food.

That's a great idea. I should have thought of that myself.

Does anyone have a recipe for chicken salad that uses carrots? I know
most of you just toss stuff in, but I've never had any luck with that.
I need a recipe.

>if yes: I would fry it on a frying pan with oil and onions.

....and just how far bad can it be and still do this? ;-)

--
For email, use

The Queen of Cans and Jars

LurfysMa > wrote:

> I need a recipe.

http://www.recipesource.com

Start digging.
LurfysMa

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:31:27 -0400, A Ross >
wrote:

>In article >,
> LurfysMa > wrote:
>
>> About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
>> supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
>> make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
>> thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
>> noodles.
>>
>> My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
>> Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
>> too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>>
>> Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?
>>
>> Thanks

>Chunk it up for chicken salad: add low fat mayo, diced onions, celery,
>apples, and grapes, serve on lettuce leaves.

Do you have a recipe? At least some general guidelines. I never seem
to do well just winging it.

>Make soup: throw the entire carcass and leftover meat in a pot, cover
>with water, simmer (along with some onion, celery, and carrots) until
>meat is falling off the bone. Discard bones. Adjust flavor of broth, add
>more vegies, rice, or noodles.

What a great idea -- especially now that winter is coming. Again, do
you have a recipe? I would have no idea how much water or anything
else.

--
For email, use
LurfysMa

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:08:33 +0100, "TonyK" > wrote:

>"LurfysMa" > wrote in message
.. .
>> About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
>> supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
>> make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
>> thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
>> noodles.
>>
>> My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
>> Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
>> too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>>
>> Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> For email, use

>Slice an onion and lightly fry, add a spoon of generic curry powder and
>pieces of cold chicken, pour a tin of cocunut milk over and let it reduce to
>a thick sauce. Instant creamy chicken curry, serve with boiled rice and a
>naan. Takes about 15 mins from start to finish including the rice.

I love curry chicken. This is just what I was hoping for. I think
that's enough if a recipe for me to give it a try.

Thanks so much

--
For email, use

LurfysMa

wrote:

>About 2-3 times a month, I buy a rotisserie chicken from the
>supermarket. After the meal, there is a lot of chicken left over. I
>make sandwiches with it, but would like a little variety.
>
>Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use the leftover chicken in? I am
>thinking about a simple casserole or a sauce to pour over rice or
>noodles.
>
>My mom used to make a sauce with leftover chicken and either Cream of
>Chicken of Cream of Mushroom soup or both. I think she added butter,
>too. It was very good, but probably not so healthy.
>
>Any similar, but healthier, alternatives?
>
>Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their ideas. I can't wait to try them
all.

Now, I guess I need a recipe program to keep track of the ideas and,
hopefully, successes. Any suggestions for a good one. I tried several
a few years ago and found them all poorly designed.

--
For email, use
A Ross

In article >,
LurfysMa > wrote:

> >Chunk it up for chicken salad: add low fat mayo, diced onions, celery,
> >apples, and grapes, serve on lettuce leaves.

> Do you have a recipe? At least some general guidelines. I never seem
> to do well just winging it.
>
> >Make soup: throw the entire carcass and leftover meat in a pot, cover
> >with water, simmer (along with some onion, celery, and carrots) until
> >meat is falling off the bone. Discard bones. Adjust flavor of broth, add
> >more vegies, rice, or noodles.

> What a great idea -- especially now that winter is coming. Again, do
> you have a recipe? I would have no idea how much water or anything
> else.

Actually, most of my cooking is winging it--the only time I adhere to a
recipe is when I'm baking, and even then I feel that there's plenty of
room for experimentation.

For chicken salad, dice the chicken, halve the grapes, dice the apples,
celery, and onions. You could start out with amounts like 2 cups
chicken, 1 cup grapes, 1 apple, and a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of celery and
onions, depending on your taste. Add enough mayo to wet the ingredients,
but not drown them--try adding a couple of tablespoons at a time. Add
salt and pepper to taste. I also add a dash of poultry seasoning and a
splash of soy sauce--but that's optional.

To make stock, throw your carcass in a pot with a chopped onion, a
couple of stalks of chopped celery (leaves and all), a couple of chopped
carrots. Cover with water--about an inch higher than the carcass. Simmer
over low heat for a good hour--since the chicken was already cooked
once, it won't take very long to get to the point where the meat is
falling off the bones. Remove and pick/separate the bones from the meat.
Taste the broth--if it needs more chicken flavor, add some chicken base
or a couple of bullion cubes (sodium alert!). Throw the meat back in.
Add your noodles, cook until they're done.

Good luck!

Amy
(winging it)

LurfysMa

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:55:36 -0400, A Ross >
wrote:

>In article >,
> LurfysMa > wrote:
>

>> >Chunk it up for chicken salad: add low fat mayo, diced onions, celery,
>> >apples, and grapes, serve on lettuce leaves.

>> Do you have a recipe? At least some general guidelines. I never seem
>> to do well just winging it.
>>
>> >Make soup: throw the entire carcass and leftover meat in a pot, cover
>> >with water, simmer (along with some onion, celery, and carrots) until
>> >meat is falling off the bone. Discard bones. Adjust flavor of broth, add
>> >more vegies, rice, or noodles.

>> What a great idea -- especially now that winter is coming. Again, do
>> you have a recipe? I would have no idea how much water or anything
>> else.
>>

>Actually, most of my cooking is winging it--the only time I adhere to a
>recipe is when I'm baking, and even then I feel that there's plenty of
>room for experimentation.
>
>For chicken salad, dice the chicken, halve the grapes, dice the apples,
>celery, and onions. You could start out with amounts like 2 cups
>chicken, 1 cup grapes, 1 apple, and a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of celery and
>onions, depending on your taste. Add enough mayo to wet the ingredients,
>but not drown them--try adding a couple of tablespoons at a time. Add
>salt and pepper to taste. I also add a dash of poultry seasoning and a
>splash of soy sauce--but that's optional.
>
>To make stock, throw your carcass in a pot with a chopped onion, a
>couple of stalks of chopped celery (leaves and all), a couple of chopped
>carrots. Cover with water--about an inch higher than the carcass. Simmer
>over low heat for a good hour--since the chicken was already cooked
>once, it won't take very long to get to the point where the meat is
>falling off the bones. Remove and pick/separate the bones from the meat.
>Taste the broth--if it needs more chicken flavor, add some chicken base
>or a couple of bullion cubes (sodium alert!). Throw the meat back in.
>Add your noodles, cook until they're done.

Amy,

I am going to try your "recipe" for chiken soup the next time we have
chicken. But right now, I have about 3/4 pound of leftover flank steak
from a BBQ. Do you have a similar recipe for beef stew/soup with lots
of veggies and a tomato base?

Thanks

--
For email, use
Doug Lerner

I don't think I ever had leftover chicken.

doug

LurfysMa

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:55:38 +0900, Doug Lerner >
wrote:

>I don't think I ever had leftover chicken.

Well, I never used to either, but I got married a few years ago and my
makes me eat vegetables and salads along with the chicken, so I can't
eat a whole chicken anymore! ;-)

--
For email, use
LurfysMa

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:33:04 -0700, LurfysMa >
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:55:36 -0400, A Ross >
>wrote:

>>> Do you have a recipe? At least some general guidelines. I never seem
>>> to do well just winging it.

>>> What a great idea -- especially now that winter is coming. Again, do
>>> you have a recipe? I would have no idea how much water or anything
>>> else.
>>>

>>Actually, most of my cooking is winging it--the only time I adhere to a
>>recipe is when I'm baking, and even then I feel that there's plenty of
>>room for experimentation.
>>
>>For chicken salad, dice the chicken, halve the grapes, dice the apples,
>>celery, and onions. You could start out with amounts like 2 cups
>>chicken, 1 cup grapes, 1 apple, and a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of celery and
>>onions, depending on your taste. Add enough mayo to wet the ingredients,
>>but not drown them--try adding a couple of tablespoons at a time. Add
>>salt and pepper to taste. I also add a dash of poultry seasoning and a
>>splash of soy sauce--but that's optional.
>>
>>To make stock, throw your carcass in a pot with a chopped onion, a
>>couple of stalks of chopped celery (leaves and all), a couple of chopped
>>carrots. Cover with water--about an inch higher than the carcass. Simmer
>>over low heat for a good hour--since the chicken was already cooked
>>once, it won't take very long to get to the point where the meat is
>>falling off the bones. Remove and pick/separate the bones from the meat.
>>Taste the broth--if it needs more chicken flavor, add some chicken base
>>or a couple of bullion cubes (sodium alert!). Throw the meat back in.
>>Add your noodles, cook until they're done.

>Amy,
>
>I am going to try your "recipe" for chiken soup the next time we have
>chicken. But right now, I have about 3/4 pound of leftover flank steak
>from a BBQ. Do you have a similar recipe for beef stew/soup with lots
>of veggies and a tomato base?

PS: Especially using lentils or black beans. Can I just toss them in,
or do I need to boil them first?

--
For email, use
A Ross

In article >,
LurfysMa > wrote:

> I am going to try your "recipe" for chiken soup the next time we have
> chicken. But right now, I have about 3/4 pound of leftover flank steak
> from a BBQ. Do you have a similar recipe for beef stew/soup with lots
> of veggies and a tomato base?
>
> Thanks

Re-cooked steak can either be tough or fall apart into little
strands--neither is appetizing. When I have leftover steak, I usually
bias slice it and throw it on top of my salad, or I'll saute mushrooms,
peppers, and onions until they're tender, then throw the sliced steak in
and saute til the steak is just warmed through. Roll it up in a wrap or
tortilla, maybe with a little cheese.

Amy

A Ross

In article >,
LurfysMa > wrote:

> >I am going to try your "recipe" for chiken soup the next time we have
> >chicken. But right now, I have about 3/4 pound of leftover flank steak
> >from a BBQ. Do you have a similar recipe for beef stew/soup with lots
> >of veggies and a tomato base?

> PS: Especially using lentils or black beans. Can I just toss them in,
> or do I need to boil them first?

If you're using canned beans, just drain, rinse, and use. If using dry
beans, soak overnight or cook first (two hours, I think) before using.

I've read that combining tomatoes or onions with beans that have not yet
been softened is a no-no (prevents the hull from softening), but I don't
know first hand.

Amy
LurfysMa

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:36:02 -0400, A Ross >
wrote:

>In article >,
> LurfysMa > wrote:
>

>> >I am going to try your "recipe" for chiken soup the next time we have
>> >chicken. But right now, I have about 3/4 pound of leftover flank steak
>> >from a BBQ. Do you have a similar recipe for beef stew/soup with lots
>> >of veggies and a tomato base?

>> PS: Especially using lentils or black beans. Can I just toss them in,
>> or do I need to boil them first?

>If you're using canned beans, just drain, rinse, and use. If using dry
>beans, soak overnight or cook first (two hours, I think) before using.

For my first try, I used dry lentils. I rinsed them in hot water
(instant hot -- maybe 180F?) and let them sit for 30 minutes while I
prepared everything else. Then into the pot with the carrots and
potatoes. Turned out OK.

>I've read that combining tomatoes or onions with beans that have not yet
>been softened is a no-no (prevents the hull from softening), but I don't
>know first hand.

Hmmm... A quick google search turned up nothing. I think I won;t worry
about it.

Thanks

--
For email, use
LurfysMa

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:33:15 -0400, A Ross >
wrote:

>In article >,
> LurfysMa > wrote:
>
>> I am going to try your "recipe" for chiken soup the next time we have
>> chicken. But right now, I have about 3/4 pound of leftover flank steak
>> from a BBQ. Do you have a similar recipe for beef stew/soup with lots
>> of veggies and a tomato base?
>>
>> Thanks

>Re-cooked steak can either be tough or fall apart into little
>strands--neither is appetizing.

I gave it a try. It turned out OK. Overall, it cooked about 3 hours.

--
For email, use