Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Tim

Default SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO BREAD

SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO BREAD

Yield: 1 loaf.

1 1/2 cups HODGSON MILL Naturally White Flour

1 cup granulated sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato

1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice into a medium
mixing bowl. Beat eggs in another bowl. Add oil, sour cream, vanilla and
sweet potato; beat well. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until just
blended. Do not overmix. Fold in pecans.

Pour batter into a well-greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake in preheated
350-degree oven 60 to 70 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a cake
tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from pan
and let cool on wire rack at least one hour before slicing. This bread is
best if sliced the next day.

Note: We sometimes have baked sweet potatoes for supper. I ask the cooks to
put a few aside for me to peel and mash. One large baked sweet potato will
yield about 1 cup mashed product. You can use the canned variety, too--I
have, with excellent results.

If you don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand, you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon
ground nutmeg and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.