Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Member

Location: Lake Martin AL
Default How can I market my new BBQ sauce

I am starting a new business making BBQ sauce. It is being manufactured at a bottling company and my first order is 175 cases (of 12). I am overwhelmed with all the start up cost, consultation $350, Nutrition Facts Test $75, Barcode SR1 $760 plus maintenance. LLC formation $1000, Product liability insurance $377, Trademark $750, Licensing, Federal Tax ID, Employer ID,,,, it is never endless and I haven't even covered the labeling cost and the cost of the first order. But it is a dream of mine and I'm going to do it.
My question to you all is their anyone who knows a great way to market my sauce?
Posted to alt.food.recipes

We have gone through this with a bbq dry rub and an olive oil based skin
product. Bottom line, it proved best to hire a professional marketing firm -
they moved more product (upfront fees and a percentage of sales) then we did
via
the following methods:

1. Website, with advertising on several different "bbq" related websites.
2. Getting our product into a few local retail outlets (major grocery stores
excluded) and a local winery's store.
3. Since we catered many functions each year with on-site BBQ, we made
a display of our product and sold at these events - reorders via our
website.
4. Setting up sales displays at local fairs, car shows, and even school open
houses.

Food for thought:
The small company next door to us, bottles a jewelry cleaner liquid.
They got
their product on QVC television and move several hundred cases every two
months.

We have found success stories for a few that have gotten their salsa and
hot sauces
into several specialty chain stores like MoHotto MoBetter, Cabelas and Salsa
House, etc.

Good luck and it's not an inexpensive venture to get your product in front
of the consumer-
whichever way you go. The deeper your pockets the better.

Lewis

"Mike Elliott" > wrote in message

> I am starting a new business making BBQ sauce. It is being manufactured
> at a bottling company and my first order is 175 cases (of 12). I am
> overwhelmed with all the start up cost, consultation $350, Nutrition
> Facts Test $75, Barcode SR1 $760 plus maintenance. LLC formation $1000,
> Product liability insurance $377, Trademark $750, Licensing, Federal Tax
> ID, Employer ID,,,, it is never endless and I haven't even covered the
> labeling cost and the cost of the first order. But it is a dream of mine
> and I'm going to do it.
> My question to you all is their anyone who knows a great way to market
> my sauce?
>

> --
> Mike Elliott

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis[_2_] View Post
[...]

Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to stubbs

Have you ever thought about maybe going to your local swap meet or food conventions? You can even try to be a little creative and do something at the beach? What's your budget?