Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Mass market bbq sauce.

Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.

--
//ceed

Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" wrote in message
news[email protected]
Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.

Blues Hog. Big Jim and TFM turned me on to it.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In news[email protected],
ceed spewed forth:
Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not
too tomato flavored.

I don't know if they're MASS marketed but my first choice is

http://www.headcountry.com/Catalog.aspx?ID=4

then

http://aobbq.com/
http://www.bizrate.com/miscellaneous...own-bbq-sauce/

then

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/original.php

all of these are readily available at most grocers here in N. Texas
YMMV

Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

I buy the stuff on sale and use it as a base. Lately, I have been
buying Sweet Baby Ray's because they have the large sizes at Big Lots
pretty cheap.

I don't use sauce on anything but pulled pork. Not on brisket
(NEVER!), chicken, or even pork chops. Just one quick pass on ribs,
and a super thinned version on pulled pork.

I cut the sauce from the bottle at least 50/50 with apple cider
vinegar, then add onion flakes, black pepper, a little salt, and some
red pepper flakes, all to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes and it's
ready.

If we don't have company that might want to use it, a bottle of
barbecue sauce can last me for months. Still, it is a cheap and
convenient base for better things.

Robert
Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" wrote in message
news[email protected]
Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've been
quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard Kraft
and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato flavored.

--
//ceed

I'll use Stubs in a pinch, followed by Sweet Baby Rays. But these are
emergency situations.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote in
news[email protected]:

Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not
too tomato flavored.

ceed,

Can you find 'Open Pit'? One of the last sauces that isn't smoke
flavored. its been on the market for 30 years.
The so called original Kraft isn't. Its now smoke flavored and it
wasn't originally.

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)

the practical bbq'r!; http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

SeeSig(mawil55)
Old 11-06-2010, 03:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:28:52 -0500, Stormmee
wrote:

none of it all that, could you share your recipe, Lee

Barbecue Sauce

3 bottles Heinz chili sauce
1/2 cup Heinz 57 sauce
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup liquid smoke (Pecan or Oak)
1 1/2 cup good quality apple cider vinegar (reduce a little if you want it
less tangy)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cup brewed strong black coffee (french roast, but not espresso which
is too strong for this)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients. Simmer for (at least!) 20 minutes.

This is not a purist sauce and some will frown upon the liquid smoke, so
I'm not expecting everyone to like this, but my family and guests sure do!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 01:29:15 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
been
quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the standard
Kraft
and it was not very good. What's the best mass market store bought
barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too tomato
flavored.

Try the "HEB Specialties" branded BBQ sauces. It's not "mass
market", but I figure that really wasn't a requirement.
There are four "flavors". Memphis, Carolina, Texas, and ...
Podunk(?). Look for the round bottles with foiled caps at a
chest-level shelf, not the lower shelves where that $.99 crap is.
If you like sweet and dark, I think that's Texas or Podunk (Texas
has heat, too). I use the Carolina 90% of the time. I['m not
even sure if I've tried any of the others except Texas.

In Texas HEB /is/ mass market. What I meant was readily available, and HEB
surely is! I will try one of those sauces.

--
//ceed
Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I meeant to add that anything Stubbs makes is passable, Lee

I find Stubb's to me too tomatoey and light. Good for those who likes that
kind of thing

Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:01:41 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:16:36 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

http://aobbq.com/

Austin's Own BBQ sauce: I tried this one when they were sampling
this at Whole Foods and my reaction was immediate and obvious,
especially when you ask for water to rinse out your mouth. There
was way too much liquid smoke, and I let it be known.

You won't like my home made sauce that much then. I use liquid smoke!

Turns out that was the founder/owner. She got my valuable
feedback that day. They seemed to have toned it down since then,
but it's still nasty.

LOL. Good story, and I guess there can be too much liquid smoke....

-sw

--
//ceed
Old 11-06-2010, 03:09 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:14:03 -0500, piedmont wrote:

ceed,
Can you find 'Open Pit'? One of the last sauces that isn't smoke
flavored. its been on the market for 30 years.
The so called original Kraft isn't. Its now smoke flavored and it
wasn't originally.

I add liquid smoke to my home made one. I do not like it that much myself,
but kids and wife demand it, so I do it. I will look int Open Pit also.
Thanks!

--
//ceed
Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6/10/2010 8:13 PM, ceed wrote:
Hi,

I've been making my own barbecue sauce the last couple of years. I've
been quite busy lately so I have had to purchase some. I got the
standard Kraft and it was not very good. What's the best mass market
store bought barbecue sauce these days? I like sweet, dark and not too
tomato flavored.

If I have to use mass market, I like KC Masterpiece original. DH likes
Stubb's, but I think it might be regional.

It takes only minutes to make a decent BBQ sauce. At lest mine does.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas