Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default Broccoli cheese soup

Broccoli cheese soup
Ingredients
4 c. chicken broth (home made is best, but powder
works pretty darn good for all but the hard core purists)
1 large bunch broccoli, chopped (2" chucks is fine)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
4 c. milk (skim ok)
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
dash nutmeg (optional)

Directions
In a large pot, cook broccoli in broth until tender. Use slotted
spoon to transfer broccoli into blender, with enough broth to
puree SLOWLY (caution: hold lid very loosely). Transfer broth to
another container (hopefully will fit in blender, then you don't
have to wash any extra dishes.) Meanwhile, in original pot, melt
cheese, then stir in flour to make paste. Gradually add milk and
cheese, stirring until thick and cheese is melted. Add
broth/broccoli, and nutmeg to taste. Heat through. Serve with
fresh rolls, bread sticks, what ever, and crudites. PS. This is
a very flexible recipe; if you don't have enough broccoli, use
cauliflower; less cheese is ok, and you can even cut back on the
butter (just use equal amount of flour).

hahabogus

This is a faulty recipe.

The mistake is in the cheese sauce. First you should cook the flour and
butter together for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently, to remove the raw
taste of the flour. Then Add the milk and bring up to a boil, while stiring
to thicken. Remove from heat and gradually add cheese stir while it melts a
pinch of dry mustard at this time would help to bring out a more cheesey
flavour in the cheese sauce.

The reserving of some brocolli florets (for later addition) would make the
soup look nicer. A wand blender works well to puree the soup and is easier
to clean. Add the reserved florets back into the soup.

Duckie ® > wrote in
:

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

broccoli cheese soup? Todd Diabetic 18 12-07-2013 04:11 AM
Canadian Broccoli Cheese Soup Tim Recipes 0 06-01-2006 04:33 AM
Broccoli And Cheese Soup 7Hawks Recipes 0 19-11-2004 10:00 PM
Broccoli Cheese Soup Hahabogus Diabetic 0 10-10-2004 01:58 PM
Broccoli and Cheese Soup A1 WBarfieldsr Recipes (moderated) 0 15-10-2003 05:13 PM