Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default broccoli cheese soup?

Hi All,

I have been looking on the web for low carb broccoli cheese
soup recipes. This one looks good.

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/low-ca...li-cheese-soup

2 T. butter
3 cups chicken broth
8oz. cream cheese (I use organic)
1 cup heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized!)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped

I was thinking of sub'ing Trader Joe's Cheddar/gruyere cheese
as it crumbles in my hand and I won't have to shred it.

Any comments/improvements on the above recipe?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi All,

This is what I came up with. It came out really good!

-T

T's Broccoli Cheese Soup:

3 cups chicken broth, or
1-1/2 cup 99:99 chicken broth and 1-1/2 cups water
1 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
1 Turnip, cubed
4 oz. (1/2 block) Trader Joe's Full Fat Cream Cheese
1 T. butter
1/2 cup Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup (1/2 brick) chopped Trader Joe's cheddar/gruyere cheese

Heat broth, broccoli, and turnip until broccoli is tender.

Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded cheese and butter in another
pan and stir often.

When broccoli is tender, cut it up some more

When the other pan is melted, add to broth and broccoli. Simmer
for about 5 minutes. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.

Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/30/2013 06:58 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is what I came up with. It came out really good!
>
> -T
>

> T's Broccoli Cheese Soup:
>
> 3 cups chicken broth, or
> 1-1/2 cup 99:99 chicken broth and 1-1/2 cups water

My wife likes her soup really runny. You may want to cut back to 2 cups

> 1 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
> 1 Turnip, cubed
> 4 oz. (1/2 block) Trader Joe's Full Fat Cream Cheese
> 1 T. butter
> 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
> 1 cup (1/2 brick) chopped Trader Joe's cheddar/gruyere cheese
>
> Heat broth, broccoli, and turnip until broccoli is tender.
>
> Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded cheese and butter in another
> pan and stir often.
>
> When broccoli is tender, cut it up some more
>
> When the other pan is melted, add to broth and broccoli. Simmer
> for about 5 minutes. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
>
> Add sea salt and pepper to taste.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
[...]

Sounds very good. Thanks for sharing. I love good broccoli cheese soup just aint never had much call to make it at home. Will put this on the short to do list.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/02/2013 06:23 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1845224 Wrote:
>> On 06/30/2013 06:58 PM, Todd wrote:-
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is what I came up with. It came out really good!
>>
>> -T
>>

>> T's Broccoli Cheese Soup:
>>
>> 3 cups chicken broth, or
>> 1-1/2 cup 99:99 chicken broth and 1-1/2 cups water-
>>
>> My wife likes her soup really runny. You may want to cut back to 2
>> cups
>> -
>> 1 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
>> 1 Turnip, cubed
>> 4 oz. (1/2 block) Trader Joe's Full Fat Cream Cheese
>> 1 T. butter
>> 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
>> 1 cup (1/2 brick) chopped Trader Joe's cheddar/gruyere cheese
>>
>> Heat broth, broccoli, and turnip until broccoli is tender.
>>
>> Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded cheese and butter in another
>> pan and stir often.
>>
>> When broccoli is tender, cut it up some more
>>
>> When the other pan is melted, add to broth and broccoli. Simmer
>> for about 5 minutes. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
>>
>> Add sea salt and pepper to taste.-

> Sounds very good. Thanks for sharing. I love good broccoli cheese soup
> just aint never had much call to make it at home. Will put this on the
> short to do list.

Hi Bigwheel,

You are most welcome

Don't forget to save the stocks for hash browns!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 06/30/2013 06:58 PM, Todd wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > This is what I came up with. It came out really good!
> >
> > -T
> >

> > T's Broccoli Cheese Soup:
> >
> > 3 cups chicken broth, or
> > 1-1/2 cup 99:99 chicken broth and 1-1/2 cups water

> My wife likes her soup really runny. You may want to cut back to 2 cups
>
> > 1 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
> > 1 Turnip, cubed
> > 4 oz. (1/2 block) Trader Joe's Full Fat Cream Cheese
> > 1 T. butter
> > 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
> > 1 cup (1/2 brick) chopped Trader Joe's cheddar/gruyere cheese

Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/04/2013 09:54 AM, Billy wrote:
>>> 1 cup (1/2 brick) chopped Trader Joe's cheddar/gruyere cheese

> Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.

Hi Billy,

I found his web site, but couldn't really figure out his
theory on it. There was a lot of invitations to studies, etc..

As I understand it, and this is probably a gross oversimplification,
fat is "use or lose" and carbs are "use or store as fat".
A bag of sucrose could have a label on it that says "fat free"
and it would be 100% accurate. Eat the bag and guess what is
going to happen.

I eat all the animal fat and meat I want, as long as it comes
from a natural source and is not processed. Fat is how mammals
mask off toxins, so I avoid conventional meat, with all the
chemicals, antibiotics, etc.. Processed meat is where you
see all those studies about meat consumption causing a
shortened life over vegi's. Hidden deep in these studies
are that natural meat eaters live even longer than vegi's.

Basically I only count carbs.

And, I have FINALLY stopped losing weight. For the past six
months I have maintained at 195 lbs, boots on, at my GP's office.
(I don't own a scale.)

But, I still have folks greet me with how much weight I have
lost. Hmmm, that would be the untreated diabetes. Only
in America would losing weight be considered a good thing.
Everywhere else they would think you had AIDS or Tuberculosis.

And, I eat really well since my induction into the Pin Cushion
Club. Especially after meeting you guys!

My goal is to have more variety and better food than before
my induction, so I will never be temped to go back to the
former diet. (I loved my pasta!) I already have achieved
the variety goal.

-T

Tried out coconut pancakes this morning. There were really
good. But, they are a work in progress. I will report back
when I finalize my recipe. I am going to try powdered
"real" (not cultured) buttermilk in them and see what baking
powder does.

Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I have been looking on the web for low carb broccoli cheese
soup recipes. This one looks good.

Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup | Kelly the Kitchen Kop

2 T. butter
3 cups chicken broth
8oz. cream cheese (I use organic)
1 cup heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized!)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped

I was thinking of sub'ing Trader Joe's Cheddar/gruyere cheese
as it crumbles in my hand and I won't have to shred it.

Any comments/improvements on the above recipe?

Many thanks,
-T

I wonder if it'll make me love broccoli. I do dislike broccoli that much and I hope this will make me like broccoli.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/4/2013 4:48 PM, Todd wrote:

>> Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.

> Hi Billy,
>
> I found his web site, but couldn't really figure out his
> theory on it. There was a lot of invitations to studies, etc..
>
> As I understand it, and this is probably a gross oversimplification,
> fat is "use or lose" and carbs are "use or store as fat".
> A bag of sucrose could have a label on it that says "fat free"
> and it would be 100% accurate. Eat the bag and guess what is
> going to happen.
>
> I eat all the animal fat and meat I want, as long as it comes
> from a natural source and is not processed. Fat is how mammals
> mask off toxins, so I avoid conventional meat, with all the
> chemicals, antibiotics, etc.. Processed meat is where you
> see all those studies about meat consumption causing a
> shortened life over vegi's. Hidden deep in these studies
> are that natural meat eaters live even longer than vegi's.
>
> Basically I only count carbs.
>
> And, I have FINALLY stopped losing weight. For the past six
> months I have maintained at 195 lbs, boots on, at my GP's office.
> (I don't own a scale.)

How tall are you?

> But, I still have folks greet me with how much weight I have
> lost. Hmmm, that would be the untreated diabetes. Only
> in America would losing weight be considered a good thing.
> Everywhere else they would think you had AIDS or Tuberculosis.

Looks like you haven't been "everywhere else".

> And, I eat really well since my induction into the Pin Cushion
> Club. Especially after meeting you guys!
>
> My goal is to have more variety and better food than before
> my induction, so I will never be temped to go back to the
> former diet. (I loved my pasta!) I already have achieved
> the variety goal.
>
> -T
>
> Tried out coconut pancakes this morning. There were really
> good. But, they are a work in progress. I will report back
> when I finalize my recipe. I am going to try powdered
> "real" (not cultured) buttermilk in them and see what baking
> powder does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/4/2013 9:54 AM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2013 06:58 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> This is what I came up with. It came out really good!
>>>
>>> -T
>>>

>>> T's Broccoli Cheese Soup:
>>>
>>> 3 cups chicken broth, or
>>> 1-1/2 cup 99:99 chicken broth and 1-1/2 cups water

>> My wife likes her soup really runny. You may want to cut back to 2 cups
>>
>>> 1 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
>>> 1 Turnip, cubed
>>> 4 oz. (1/2 block) Trader Joe's Full Fat Cream Cheese
>>> 1 T. butter
>>> 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
>>> 1 cup (1/2 brick) chopped Trader Joe's cheddar/gruyere cheese

> Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.

Fat :-) chance.

>>> Heat broth, broccoli, and turnip until broccoli is tender.
>>>
>>> Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded cheese and butter in another
>>> pan and stir often.
>>>
>>> When broccoli is tender, cut it up some more
>>>
>>> When the other pan is melted, add to broth and broccoli. Simmer
>>> for about 5 minutes. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
>>>
>>> Add sea salt and pepper to taste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/4/2013 4:48 PM, Todd wrote:

>> Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.

> Hi Billy,
>
> I found his web site, but couldn't really figure out his
> theory on it. There was a lot of invitations to studies, etc..
>
> As I understand it, and this is probably a gross oversimplification,
> fat is "use or lose" and carbs are "use or store as fat".
> A bag of sucrose could have a label on it that says "fat free"
> and it would be 100% accurate. Eat the bag and guess what is
> going to happen.
>
> I eat all the animal fat and meat I want, as long as it comes
> from a natural source and is not processed. Fat is how mammals
> mask off toxins, so I avoid conventional meat, with all the
> chemicals, antibiotics, etc.. Processed meat is where you
> see all those studies about meat consumption causing a
> shortened life over vegi's. Hidden deep in these studies
> are that natural meat eaters live even longer than vegi's.

You wouldn't have a link or two to studies backing that up that "hidden
deep inside" theory?

> Basically I only count carbs.
>
> And, I have FINALLY stopped losing weight. For the past six
> months I have maintained at 195 lbs, boots on, at my GP's office.
> (I don't own a scale.)
>
> But, I still have folks greet me with how much weight I have
> lost. Hmmm, that would be the untreated diabetes. Only
> in America would losing weight be considered a good thing.
> Everywhere else they would think you had AIDS or Tuberculosis.
>
> And, I eat really well since my induction into the Pin Cushion
> Club. Especially after meeting you guys!
>
> My goal is to have more variety and better food than before
> my induction, so I will never be temped to go back to the
> former diet. (I loved my pasta!) I already have achieved
> the variety goal.
>
> -T
>
> Tried out coconut pancakes this morning. There were really
> good. But, they are a work in progress. I will report back
> when I finalize my recipe. I am going to try powdered
> "real" (not cultured) buttermilk in them and see what baking
> powder does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Don Roberto > wrote:

> On 7/4/2013 9:54 AM, Billy wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:

> >> My wife likes her soup really runny. You may want to cut back to 2 cups

> > Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.
> >

> Fat :-) chance.

Homo sapiens are still adapting to their environment, even as our
environment changes at a faster rate. Even as we have adapted to consume
milk, and greater amounts of carbohydrates the adaption is still a "bell
shaped curve". Fifty percent of people will respond with hypertension to
increased salt intake. The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't
one diet/lifestyle that is good for everyone. The response to Metabolic
Syndrome isn't to eat like an Inuit. Sadly, it is Hinayana, and we all
need to find our own way up the mountain. One size does not fit all.

And you Roberto, do you thrive on rejection? Why do you feel the need to
be abrasive, and abusive? (This is acctually the best post I've seen you
make.) People don't need to live up to your expectations. You certainly
don't live up to mine. A little more cooperation, and a lot less
Shadenfreude would be greatly appreciated.

Ein dummes Gesicht und gute Manieren sind besser als gar nichts.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I am a pure carnivore ...I despise veggies a lot.

however now I like some because I make them my way..wife makes her her way.

I learned to love broccoli from having it in Chinese takeout and buffets
...id pick the broccoli out but would eat a tiny bit stuck to the beef and
liked it..but hated it anytime else.

so I though about what made the Chinese broccoli good and rest gross.

the answer was the meat..and they cut it very very thin..

so I tried cutting it very very thin and cooking in a mix of chicken and
beef broth in a frying pan and it was good..I especially like the inner
white part and learned to leave the stems to wife and eat the inner peeled
cores which when made right taste like potato.

other veggies I either blend and melt into soups or eat raw.

my mother was insane and boiled every vegetable until the cooking water had
the color and the vegetables were grey..thus explaining my hatred of
them..lol

but when id sneak a piece raw I liked it...but shed freak out and only let
me eat HER way.

as an adult I make the rules and have found I really like certain veggies
raw..like spinach in a salad is awesome..cauliflower cores sliced thin with
salt dipped into sour cream is yummy etc

kale baked in the oven to make kale chips is as good as potato chips and as
addicting.

so try broccoli multi ways and eat what ya like and dont eat what you
dislike.

KROM

"elementsresto" wrote...

I wonder if it'll make me love broccoli. I do dislike broccoli that much
and I hope this will make me like broccoli.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/5/2013 2:00 AM, elementsresto wrote:

> Todd;1844219 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been looking on the web for low carb broccoli cheese
>> soup recipes. This one looks good.
>>
>> 'Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup | Kelly the Kitchen Kop'
>> (http://kellythekitchenkop.com/low-ca...li-cheese-soup)
>>
>> 2 T. butter
>> 3 cups chicken broth
>> 8oz. cream cheese (I use organic)
>> 1 cup heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized!)
>> 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
>> 2 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
>>
>> I was thinking of sub'ing Trader Joe's Cheddar/gruyere cheese
>> as it crumbles in my hand and I won't have to shred it.
>>
>> Any comments/improvements on the above recipe?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> I wonder if it'll make me love broccoli. I do dislike broccoli that much
> and I hope this will make me like broccoli.

Let me put it this way: After drowning the broccoli in all that
saturated fat you won't be able to taste it any longer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/5/2013 10:09 AM, Billy wrote:
> In article >,
> Don Roberto > wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2013 9:54 AM, Billy wrote:

>>> Sure hope that Gary Taubes is right.
>>>

>> Fat :-) chance.

> Homo sapiens are still adapting to their environment, even as our
> environment changes at a faster rate. Even as we have adapted to consume
> milk, and greater amounts of carbohydrates the adaption is still a "bell
> shaped curve". Fifty percent of people will respond with hypertension to
> increased salt intake. The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't
> one diet/lifestyle that is good for everyone. The response to Metabolic
> Syndrome isn't to eat like an Inuit. Sadly, it is Hinayana, and we all
> need to find our own way up the mountain. One size does not fit all.

Absolutely. OTOH some sizes only fit misfits.

> And you Roberto, do you thrive on rejection?

I don't do acceptance and rejection on usenet.
I do knowledge.

Why do you feel the need to
> be abrasive, and abusive?

How do you define "abrasive and abusive"
Not being politically correct? Ignoring ignorance?
Give me an example when I was being abusive. And try to keep it in context.

(This is acctually the best post I've seen you
> make.)

Goody.

People don't need to live up to your expectations.

Why do you assume I want anyone to live up to my expectations?
I am here for information and there is good info and then there is bad info.

You certainly
> don't live up to mine.

Why do you assume it wouldn't be a matter of living down to yours?
Don't you think that assuming yourself to be living on a higher level
than others is just a wee bit "abrasive and abusive" also too?

A little more cooperation, and a lot less
> Shadenfreude would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ein dummes Gesicht und gute Manieren sind besser als gar nichts.

Das ist schon das Zweite Mal daß du diesen dummen Spruch zitierst:
Hast du ein dummes Gesicht?

Don Roberto
--------------------------------
Alles ist besser als gar nichts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

elementsresto > wrote:

: Todd;1844219 Wrote:
: > Hi All,
: >
[...]

: --
: elementsresto

I think the best bet for you isar thsoe broccoli stem "hash browns" that
were beign discussd here very recently. Apparanly, they don't comeout
tasting like brocolli at all.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/06/2013 01:23 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> elementsresto > wrote:
>
> : Todd;1844219 Wrote:
> : > Hi All,
> : >
> : > I have been looking on the web for low carb broccoli cheese
> : > soup recipes. This one looks good.
> : >
> : > 'Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup | Kelly the Kitchen Kop'
> : > (http://kellythekitchenkop.com/low-ca...li-cheese-soup)
> : >
> : > 2 T. butter
> : > 3 cups chicken broth
> : > 8oz. cream cheese (I use organic)
> : > 1 cup heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized!)
> : > 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
> : > 2 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
> : >
> : > I was thinking of sub'ing Trader Joe's Cheddar/gruyere cheese
> : > as it crumbles in my hand and I won't have to shred it.
> : >
> : > Any comments/improvements on the above recipe?
> : >
> : > Many thanks,
> : > -T
>
> : I wonder if it'll make me love broccoli. I do dislike broccoli that much
> : and I hope this will make me like broccoli.
> : --
> : elementsresto
>
> I think the best bet for you isar thsoe broccoli stem "hash browns" that
> were beign discussd here very recently. Apparanly, they don't comeout
> tasting like brocolli at all.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I am finding that folks at the grocery prefer the heads of
broccoli with a single stem and a large head. The eschew
the 5 stem ones. I jump on them. More hash browns.
The tops go into cheese soup.

Oh, definitely, cut the broth back to two cups!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 07/06/2013 01:23 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > elementsresto > wrote:
: >
: > : Todd;1844219 Wrote:
: >
: > : I wonder if it'll make me love broccoli. I do dislike broccoli that much
: > : and I hope this will make me like broccoli.
: > : --
: > : elementsresto
: >
: > I think the best bet for you isar thsoe broccoli stem "hash browns" that
: > were beign discussd here very recently. Apparanly, they don't comeout
: > tasting like brocolli at all.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Hi Wendy,

: I am finding that folks at the grocery prefer the heads of
: broccoli with a single stem and a large head. The eschew
: the 5 stem ones. I jump on them. More hash browns.
: The tops go into cheese soup.

: Oh, definitely, cut the broth back to two cups!

: -T

Those big heads with but a single stem really are usually the local
varieties available only for a reletively short season and are incredibly
sweet in taste with none of the sulphurous , cabage-like flavor of the
ones from more distant places which hav been off the land for too long.
They are an entirely different take than the kind you are using for your
"hash browns." Give one a try and see if yu like the taste of those head
, whether microwaved or used in your soup. You may find a whole different
taste experience that you will like. then you cna have different broccoli
dishes in different seasons.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/11/2013 07:47 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 07/06/2013 01:23 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > elementsresto > wrote:
> : >
> : > : Todd;1844219 Wrote:
> : >
> : > : I wonder if it'll make me love broccoli. I do dislike broccoli that much
> : > : and I hope this will make me like broccoli.
> : > : --
> : > : elementsresto
> : >
> : > I think the best bet for you isar thsoe broccoli stem "hash browns" that
> : > were beign discussd here very recently. Apparanly, they don't comeout
> : > tasting like brocolli at all.
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : I am finding that folks at the grocery prefer the heads of
> : broccoli with a single stem and a large head. The eschew
> : the 5 stem ones. I jump on them. More hash browns.
> : The tops go into cheese soup.
>
> : Oh, definitely, cut the broth back to two cups!
>
> : -T
>
> Those big heads with but a single stem really are usually the local
> varieties available only for a reletively short season and are incredibly
> sweet in taste with none of the sulphurous , cabage-like flavor of the
> ones from more distant places which hav been off the land for too long.
> They are an entirely different take than the kind you are using for your
> "hash browns." Give one a try and see if yu like the taste of those head
> , whether microwaved or used in your soup. You may find a whole different
> taste experience that you will like. then you cna have different broccoli
> dishes in different seasons.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Raley's is starting to sell organic "Nevada" grown (meaning my
state) produce. And, you are correct: tastes a lot better!
The (organic) produce from Mexico is terrible.

And, I bought my first tomatoes from the local CSA farm.
Needed a little more ripening, but oh man the taste!

I have about 20 green tomatoes on my vines. Two are showing
a shade of red. And I have about five bugs on my zucchinis. Won't
be long now!

-T

-T

Canadian Broccoli Cheese Soup Tim Recipes 0 06-01-2006 04:33 AM
Broccoli And Cheese Soup 7Hawks Recipes 0 19-11-2004 10:00 PM
Broccoli Cheese Soup Hahabogus Diabetic 0 10-10-2004 01:58 PM
Broccoli cheese soup Duckie ® Recipes 1 23-04-2004 05:17 AM
Broccoli and Cheese Soup A1 WBarfieldsr Recipes (moderated) 0 15-10-2003 05:13 PM