Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default open dehydrator vent or not?

Hi. I soaked some nuts over night and now they are in my dehydrator. I
was wondering if I should close the vent at the top of the dehydrator
or keep it open. Does anyone know? Why would I or wouldn't I?

Thanks in Advance!
Happy Healthy!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi. I soaked some nuts over night and now they are in my dehydrator. I
> was wondering if I should close the vent at the top of the dehydrator
> or keep it open. Does anyone know? Why would I or wouldn't I?

If you mean a small vent in the dehydrator, then no, because that is where
the moisture will escape which is being drawn out of your nuts <g>

I am curious as to why you would soak them when you intended to dry them??

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks.

Soaking raw nuts for about 24 hours removes digesitve/enzyme
inhibitors. The nutrients in the nuts become able to be assimilitated
that much better by the body after soaking. It's called sprouting.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks.
>
> Soaking raw nuts for about 24 hours removes digesitve/enzyme
> inhibitors. The nutrients in the nuts become able to be assimilitated
> that much better by the body after soaking. It's called sprouting.

Ahh ok I know how to sprout) You didn't mention sprouting in the OP

Does it affect the calorie count also?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hmm... That is a good question. I don't know. Also, it's more like 12
hours that I soak, I wrote 24. Yes it is sprouting, but don't expect to
see roots or leaves extending like it does with alfalfa. There is no
visible change.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hmm... That is a good question. I don't know. Also, it's more like 12
> hours that I soak, I wrote 24. Yes it is sprouting, but don't expect to
> see roots or leaves extending like it does with alfalfa. There is no
> visible change.

OK

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi. I soaked some nuts over night and now they are in my dehydrator. I
> > was wondering if I should close the vent at the top of the dehydrator
> > or keep it open. Does anyone know? Why would I or wouldn't I?

> If you mean a small vent in the dehydrator,
> then no, because that is where
> the moisture will escape which is being drawn out of your nuts <g>
>
> I am curious as to why you would soak them
> when you intended to dry them??

What kind of nuts?

Acorns from oaks in the red oak family,
have excessive amounts tannic acid,
and need to be soaked for a day or two to remove it.

http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/e...plants-oak.htm

--
pete