D.L. Jones

Default No Scum Fermenting Pickles

This is my first time to try to ferment the pickling cucumbers I've
grown in my garden. I started a very small batch in a crock consisting
of sliced cucumbers, dill, peppers, garlic, coriander seed, bay
leaves, vinegar and salt but NO WATER. That's what the recipe called
for basically. I filled a baggie with sal****er and used it to cover
the crock and hold the stuff under the vinegar solution. Then I put it
in a dark cabinet and covered it with a towel. It's been four days and
no scum has formed on top. Could I have done something wrong? I don't
know if they are fermenting for not!
TIA
D.L. Jones
Bruce

> This is my first time to try to ferment the pickling cucumbers I've
> grown in my garden. I started a very small batch in a crock consisting
> of sliced cucumbers, dill, peppers, garlic, coriander seed, bay
> leaves, vinegar and salt but NO WATER. That's what the recipe called
> for basically. I filled a baggie with sal****er and used it to cover
> the crock and hold the stuff under the vinegar solution. Then I put it
> in a dark cabinet and covered it with a towel. It's been four days and
> no scum has formed on top. Could I have done something wrong? I don't
> know if they are fermenting for not!

A lactic acid fermentation that is not exposed to air will not develope any
skum.
The skum is caused by spoilage organisms and is not generally a positive thing.

Oher signs of fermentation could be bubbling from the ferment or an odor of
fermentation.

Where did you get the recipe?
Usually recipes for fermented pickles don't contain vinegar AFAIK.

regards, Bruce

Soda scum notbob General Cooking 8 16-09-2010 05:44 AM
Are you all scum? Tony General Cooking 84 28-02-2009 08:51 PM
Scum JonK Wine 5 11-11-2005 12:44 AM
Where's My Pickle Scum ? John Kiss Preserving 1 07-09-2005 05:50 AM
jars especially for fermenting pickles (with inner-lids , etc) torlesse Preserving 1 09-10-2004 04:14 AM