Michael Horowitz

Default So I tell my boss about my canning experience ....

Knowing my boss likes to go deer hunting, and having spotted the
mention of venison in seveal posts, I mentioned my meat canning
experience.
He said that he'd been canning for years. When I brought up the use of
pressure, he mentioned that wasn't what he did. He went on to
describe a water bath that had a lid but did not build up pressure.
He kept the water boiling for 5 hours.
I'm not going to try it, but I will send him that earlier message
someone posted describing at what temp. bugs and toxins get destroyed.
How can he still be alive? - Mike
Puester

Michael Horowitz wrote:

> Knowing my boss likes to go deer hunting, and having spotted the
> mention of venison in seveal posts, I mentioned my meat canning
> experience.
> He said that he'd been canning for years. When I brought up the use of
> pressure, he mentioned that wasn't what he did. He went on to
> describe a water bath that had a lid but did not build up pressure.
> He kept the water boiling for 5 hours.
> I'm not going to try it, but I will send him that earlier message
> someone posted describing at what temp. bugs and toxins get destroyed.
> How can he still be alive? - Mike

Healthy deer.
;-)
gloria p
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael
Horowitz > wrote:

> Knowing my boss likes to go deer hunting, and having spotted the
> mention of venison in seveal posts, I mentioned my meat canning
> experience.
> He said that he'd been canning for years. When I brought up the use of
> pressure, he mentioned that wasn't what he did. He went on to
> describe a water bath that had a lid but did not build up pressure.
> He kept the water boiling for 5 hours.
> I'm not going to try it, but I will send him that earlier message
> someone posted describing at what temp. bugs and toxins get destroyed.
> How can he still be alive? - Mike

Dumb luck?
My mom canned a boatload of veggies using a waterbath process until she
got a freezer in the 1950s. She also cooked everything to a
faretheewell.

This seems like a good opportunity for me to again repeat some good
words from Myra Arrendale, proprietor of Home Canning Supply &
Specialties <homecanningsupply.com>. We were discussing such things and
she said this: "When our grandmas and great grandmas were doing their
canning, they used the most recent methods and equipment available to
them at that time. We should do no less."
Don't do what your boss is doing. And don't count on changing his mind
in spite of the research done by university food scientists. "We've
always done it this way and nothing has ever happened." Eeek!
--
-Barb
12-28-03: Tourtiere picture added to my site: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Michael Horowitz

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>Don't do what your boss is doing.

Someone earlier suggested he might be shooting healthy deer, which is
as good an explanation as any. - Mike

Deb

You might point out to him how much quicker it would be to process
the meat under pressure.

Read the BBB on your lunch hour and keep saying, "would you listen
to this!" and "I can't wait to try this!"

Since he is already interested in processing the meat, maybe he'd be
interested in learning how to do it safely. Until I found this
group, I did things the same way my parents taught me -- and they
were going 'by guess and by golly'. Its much more fun now, the
results are better, and I don't worry about poisoning anyone. ;>

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> >Don't do what your boss is doing.

> Someone earlier suggested he might be shooting healthy deer, which

is
> as good an explanation as any. - Mike

Michael Horowitz

"Deb" > wrote:

>You might point out to him how much quicker it would be to process
>the meat under pressure.
>
>Read the BBB on your lunch hour and keep saying, "would you listen
>to this!" and "I can't wait to try this!"
>

>Since he is already interested in processing the meat, maybe he'd be
>interested in learning how to do it safely. Until I found this
>group, I did things the same way my parents taught me -- and they
>were going 'by guess and by golly'. Its much more fun now, the
>results are better, and I don't worry about poisoning anyone. ;>
>
>Deb

That's an excellent point. "now you can give it as a gift and not
worry about poisoning anyone" - good psychology - Mike

EU boss threates to break up USA .... Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 109 06-04-2017 09:16 AM
The cake for my boss' going away MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 10 14-03-2016 12:16 AM
Who's The Boss? Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 19-08-2014 04:39 PM
Kitchen Boss sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 18-03-2011 10:33 PM
My bread looks like Dilbert's boss Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 9 08-07-2008 06:50 PM