Bpyboy

Default "Nuclear" hot sauce recipe?

Hi guys, I'm taking in the rest of my crop today. I have TONS of jalepenos,
habeneros, and a bunch of scotch bonnets.
I mainly grew them for decoration, but now am thinking of cooking up some
wicked hot-sauce, maybe to give away as Christmas gifts.

any suggestions on how to prepare them, probably in those little 5 or 6oz
bottles?

I was thinking of making a purree with vinegar and a little salt, perhaps some
garlic, and adding it to the jars. Any other ingredients that add to the
flavor or super hot-pepper sauce?

thanks
John

and you don't need to remind me! a nurse friend of mine got me a box of rubber
gloves to keep me from getting burnt up preparing the peppers! Last season, I
wore gloves, but like an idiot, didn't wear a shirt, and so had a couple
blisters on my chest from the scotch bonnets! lesson learned the hard way.
Craig Watts

>thanks
>John
>
>and you don't need to remind me! a nurse friend of mine got me a box of rubber
>gloves to keep me from getting burnt up preparing the peppers! Last season, I
>wore gloves, but like an idiot, didn't wear a shirt, and so had a couple
>blisters on my chest from the scotch bonnets! lesson learned the hard way.

This is a great recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jackie's Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces Chili
Texas Cooking

1 Green Papaya -- peeled, seeded
--and roughly chopped
10 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
--seeded
2 Onions -- Quartered
3 Cloves Garlic
Rind of One Lime
1/2 c Lime Juice
1 1/2 c Malt Vinegar
1 t Salt
1/4 c Prepared Yellow Mustard

Puree the papaya, Scotch Bonnet peppers, onions, garlic, lime rind,
and lime
juice in a food processor. Transfer to a medium saucepan and stir
in the
vinegar, salt and mustard. Simmer the mixture over low heat for 20
minutes,
stirring occasionally. Bottle the sauce in hot sterilized jars.
From Sugar
Reef Caribbean Cookbook. Typed by Syd Bigger.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link:

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...4/rec0474.html
Feuer

Craig Watts wrote:

> 1 Green Papaya -- peeled, seeded

Green = unripe?
Where do you get that?

David
TDKozan

"Bpyboy" > wrote
| Hi guys, I'm taking in the rest of my crop today. I have TONS of
jalepenos,
| habeneros, and a bunch of scotch bonnets.
| I mainly grew them for decoration, but now am thinking of cooking up some
| wicked hot-sauce, maybe to give away as Christmas gifts.
|
| any suggestions on how to prepare them, probably in those little 5 or 6oz
| bottles?
|
| I was thinking of making a purree with vinegar and a little salt, perhaps
some
| garlic, and adding it to the jars. Any other ingredients that add to the
| flavor or super hot-pepper sauce?
|
| thanks
| John

Red Death?

~12 Ripe red Habanèros
1 small can tomato paste
1 1/2 T black pepper
2T Worcestershire sauce
2t salt
8 cloves garlic
1/2 med onion
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 cup cider vinegar
1t cumin
1t tarragon
1t oregano

puree onion & garlic with key lime in food processor. In pot, add puree,
tomato paste, 2/3 c vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, & Worcestershire. Simmer
15 minutes.

Chop habies in food processor with remaining vinegar. Add to pot with
tarragon and oregano, simmer additional 10 minutes. Add water and
arrowroot as necessary for desired thickness. Process 15 min. in bwb.

Yields ca. 1.5 pints

TK

--
Cogito ergo bibo

JohnDKestell

Thanks for that one TK, I cooked some up last night! Unfortunatley, this
morning it still smells like it! Holy smokes, 15 habs in about 2 pints?

Where did you get the recipe? Do you suppose that it would work with the other
peppers, or combinations of them?

I gave one bottle a little taste, and, it's NUCLEAR! (a little on an
enchilada). I'm sure it will only get better with a little aging in the
fridge.

Thanks again.
John

TDKozan

"JohnDKestell" > wrote in message
| Thanks for that one TK, I cooked some up last night! Unfortunatley, this
| morning it still smells like it! Holy smokes, 15 habs in about 2 pints?
|
| Where did you get the recipe? Do you suppose that it would work with the
other
| peppers, or combinations of them?
|
| I gave one bottle a little taste, and, it's NUCLEAR! (a little on an
| enchilada). I'm sure it will only get better with a little aging in the
| fridge.
|
| Thanks again.
| John

Well, you *did* ask for "Nuclear"!

I just made it up five or six years back, playing around with more Habies
than I knew what to do with.

For something milder, there's always Orange Death, my attempt at a
Habie/Carrot/Ginger sauce.

Orange Habie Sauce (Orange Death)

12 habaneros
3/4 C carrot
1/2 C onion
3 cloves garlic
1t olive oil
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t cumin
1 t salt
1/8 t ascorbic acid
1/2 C white vinegar
1/4 C lime juice
1/2 C water

puree onion, garlic. Add water, oil & lime juice with dry ingredients,
simmer 5 minutes. Mince carrots & habies with vinegar in food processor.
Add to pot, simmer additional 5-10 minutes. 10 min BWB.

~1.5 pints

Both of the sauces keep for at least two years.

TK

--
Cogito ergo bibo

Craig Watts

>> 1 Green Papaya -- peeled, seeded

>Green = unripe?
>Where do you get that?
>
>David

Definitely ripe. When peeled they are soft and squishie. You can pick
them up in the local grocery store. I find mine at a higher end Harris
Teeter here in NC.

(Craig Watts) wrote:

> >> 1 Green Papaya -- peeled, seeded

> [] You can pick them up in the local grocery store.

Also, in most Asian (particularly Thai) markets.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
www.boonchoo.com
Bpyboy

thanks for the Orange death sauce recipe. I tried a similar one a while back,
but added a beet to it, mainly because I had millions of them, and it made for
a nice color, and then some mustard powder and paprika.

I'll give it a try too. Not a big fan of ginger, so maybe i'll take that out
of the equation, but it looks good and smoking hot!