zxcvbob

Default Seville oranges

One of the things I bought at Fiesta Market was 3 seville oranges. Fiesta
just called them "sour oranges." I didn't know what they were or I woulda
bought a bunch of them. Does anyone have a small batch orange marmalade
recipe that tells how much water and sugar to use per orange?

Most of the orange marmalade recipes I find also have lemon juice. Isn't
the orange juice sour enough? Are these recipes assuming you're using
sweet oranges even though they specifically say seville oranges? Or maybe
the seville oranges are too bitter to use without diluting with lemon juice?

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Wayne Boatwright

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> One of the things I bought at Fiesta Market was 3 seville oranges.
> Fiesta just called them "sour oranges." I didn't know what they were
> or I woulda bought a bunch of them. Does anyone have a small batch
> orange marmalade recipe that tells how much water and sugar to use per
> orange?
>
> Most of the orange marmalade recipes I find also have lemon juice.
> Isn't the orange juice sour enough? Are these recipes assuming you're
> using sweet oranges even though they specifically say seville oranges?
> Or maybe the seville oranges are too bitter to use without diluting
> with lemon juice?
>
> Thanks, regards,
> Bob

Bob, a "recipe" I have used many times will work well with a small to
normal batch of oranges. I usually use 4-6 depending on size. Oh, the
lemon juice (I use a whole lemon, sliced), helps to insure adequate
jelling factor. I guess you could say pectin.

Slice the oranges about 1/16-1/8" thick, discarding the pips. Put fruit
in a non-reactive bowl or pot and cover with water. Cover vessel and
allow to sit at room temperature overnight. Next day, bring just to a
boil, then reduce heat and simmer slowly until the peel is "tooth
tender". Allow to cool, cover, and let sit at room temperature
overnight. Next day, weight the fruit/water mixture, then add an equal
weight of sugar. Place half a dozen saucers in the freezer. Bring
mixture to a slow boil and cook, stirring frequently, for 25-30 minutes.
Test for set by pouring a spoon of the liquid on a saucer. Return to the
freezer for 5 minutes. The set should be soft, not firm. Test every 5
minutes until the set is perfect. As you progress in the tests, you may
want to remove the pot from the heat to avoid overcooking while waiting
for the test. When set-point is reached, pour into hot sterilized jars,
and seal with a sterilized 2-piece lid. Marmalade does not need to be
BWB'd, regardless of what the paranoid among us may say.

Oh, as to the lemon... I add 1 thinly sliced lemon along with the sliced
oranges right from the beginning.

Enjoy!
Wayne
Frogleg

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:48:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>zxcvbob > wrote

>> One of the things I bought at Fiesta Market was 3 seville oranges.
>> Fiesta just called them "sour oranges." I didn't know what they were
>> or I woulda bought a bunch of them. Does anyone have a small batch
>> orange marmalade recipe that tells how much water and sugar to use per
>> orange?
>>
>> Most of the orange marmalade recipes I find also have lemon juice.
>> Isn't the orange juice sour enough? Are these recipes assuming you're
>> using sweet oranges even though they specifically say seville oranges?
>> Or maybe the seville oranges are too bitter to use without diluting
>> with lemon juice?

>Bob, a "recipe" I have used many times will work well with a small to
>normal batch of oranges. I usually use 4-6 depending on size. Oh, the
>lemon juice (I use a whole lemon, sliced), helps to insure adequate
>jelling factor. I guess you could say pectin.

<snip recipe>

Wayne's recipe looks very similar to this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_1530,00.html

although I wonder if "1/2 lb oranges" is a mis-type. That would be
about half a large orange!

BTW, a search on "seville" at foodtv.com turned up 5 other recipe
references for interesting-sounding dishes.
LIMEYNO1

Perhaps you can work it out with my hubby's recipe?

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Jim's Orange Marmalade
Recipe By:
Category: Preserving; Family
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 6 Servings
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
2 lb Seville oranges (about 5)
6 cup Water
1 Lemon
7 1/2 cup Sugar

[Preparation]
Directions: Put 4 small saucers in freezer. In a very large pot,
combine oranges, lemon and water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Let
simmer 2 hours. DON'T ALLOW TO BOIL. Turn off heat. Remove fruit. Let
cool 5 minutes. Cut in half and scoop pulp, seeds and pith back into
pan. Put shells to one side. Bring pan to a boil and boil hard 5
minutes. Strain through damp cheese cloth in a seive. Gather ends and
squeeze out remaining juice. You should have 6 cups. Make up any
difference with water. Return liquid to pan. Remove all white pith
from skins. Cut skins in fine strips (or as desired) and add to pan
with sugar. Place over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to
boil. Boil hard, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Boil
hard til jell point is reached, between 60 and 90 minutes depending
on natural fruit pectin available. Jell point test. Chill some
saucers in freezer while preparing marmalade, 2 or 3. Test: drop a
small amount of hot marmalade on chilled plate and chill for 2
minutes. Run finger through marmelade on plate. If surface wrinkles,
it has reached jelling point. If still syrupy, continue boiling.
Repeat test at 5 minute intervals til jell point is reached. Remove
pan from stove and stir for 5 minutes, skimming off any foam. Ladle
into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal as you like

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> One of the things I bought at Fiesta Market was 3 seville oranges. Fiesta
> just called them "sour oranges." I didn't know what they were or I woulda
> bought a bunch of them. Does anyone have a small batch orange marmalade
> recipe that tells how much water and sugar to use per orange?
>
> Most of the orange marmalade recipes I find also have lemon juice. Isn't
> the orange juice sour enough? Are these recipes assuming you're using
> sweet oranges even though they specifically say seville oranges? Or maybe
> the seville oranges are too bitter to use without diluting with lemon

juice?

> Thanks, regards,
> Bob

zxcvbob

LIMEYNO1 wrote:

> Perhaps you can work it out with my hubby's recipe?

Thanks. Looks like about 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar per orange,
plus a lemon (I my use my yellowest key lime.)

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

Ellen Wickberg wrote:
> The recipe in PFB which boils the oranges whole is about the easiest to do.
> If you don't have a PFB, let me know and I will post it. In my experience,
> Seville oranges are bitter, not sour , very knobbly and very little juice.
> Is that what you have or are they some other form of orange that is very
> sour? Seville oranges do make really great marmalade. Ellen

Since I only have 3, I haven't cut them yet. They were called "sour
oranges", and they just look like a normal valencia orange, but a little
rougher and not as brightly orange.

Seville oranges are not supposed to be in season yet, but these days
everything is in season somewhere. If seville oranges are used in Latin
American cooking year-round under the name "sour oranges", this is quite a
find (if you have access to a good ethnic supermarket.)

Pink grapefruit should also make a fine marmalade if you add enough lime or
lemon juice to balance the bitter and sweet.

Best regards,
Bob

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>
>> The recipe in PFB which boils the oranges whole is about the easiest
>> to do.
>> If you don't have a PFB, let me know and I will post it. In my
>> experience,
>> Seville oranges are bitter, not sour , very knobbly and very little
>> juice.
>> Is that what you have or are they some other form of orange that is very
>> sour? Seville oranges do make really great marmalade. Ellen
>>

> Since I only have 3, I haven't cut them yet. They were called "sour
> oranges", and they just look like a normal valencia orange, but a little
> rougher and not as brightly orange.
>
> Seville oranges are not supposed to be in season yet, but these days
> everything is in season somewhere. If seville oranges are used in Latin
> American cooking year-round under the name "sour oranges", this is quite
> a find (if you have access to a good ethnic supermarket.)
>
> Pink grapefruit should also make a fine marmalade if you add enough lime
> or lemon juice to balance the bitter and sweet.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Ruby or Rio Red grapefruits make a marvelous marmalade. Generally around
December I can get 8 lbs for a dollar the local supermarket. The Rio
Grande Valley crop has got to be extra good to get them at that price. I
substitute lemon for about 1/4 of the recipe as we like the lemon
taste too. The pink grapefruit, for some reason, are more expensive
around here than the red. I guess it's what people like for breakfast or
something. Shoot, we just peel grapefruit and eat them like oranges
around this house. I can't eat them that often myself as they interfere
with some of my meds but I do love them when I can have one.

George

LIMEYNO1

Hope it works out for you, I'm not a marmel fan, but hubby's a true Brit.

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> LIMEYNO1 wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you can work it out with my hubby's recipe?
> >

> Thanks. Looks like about 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar per orange,
> plus a lemon (I my use my yellowest key lime.)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

zxcvbob

I looked at your recipe again a little closer and adjusted my ratios:
3 sour oranges
1 lemon
3.5 cups water
4.5 cups sugar

I probably won't add all the lemon peel back after I extract the juice
because I don't want the lemon to overpower the orange. I quartered all
the fruit and picked out a few orange seeds to plant. The fruit is all
simmering right now.

I licked one of the cut oranges and it's quite sour but not very bitter.
It looks sort of like a valencia orange inside, but firmer. The flesh is a
very pale orangish yellow. They are very likely not seville oranges. The
peels are getting a little brighter colored as they simmer, but I think I
will have to add a drop of red food coloring to the batch.

Best regards,
Bob

LIMEYNO1 wrote:

> Perhaps you can work it out with my hubby's recipe?
>

> -------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------
>
> Title: Jim's Orange Marmalade
> Recipe By:
> Category: Preserving; Family
> Main Ingredient:
> Cuisine Style:
> Yield: 6 Servings
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Cooking Time: 0:00
>
> [Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
> ---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
> 2 lb Seville oranges (about 5)
> 6 cup Water
> 1 Lemon
> 7 1/2 cup Sugar
>
> [Preparation]
> Directions: Put 4 small saucers in freezer. In a very large pot,
> combine oranges, lemon and water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Let
> simmer 2 hours. DON'T ALLOW TO BOIL. Turn off heat. Remove fruit. Let
> cool 5 minutes. Cut in half and scoop pulp, seeds and pith back into
> pan. Put shells to one side. Bring pan to a boil and boil hard 5
> minutes. Strain through damp cheese cloth in a seive. Gather ends and
> squeeze out remaining juice. You should have 6 cups. Make up any
> difference with water. Return liquid to pan. Remove all white pith
> from skins. Cut skins in fine strips (or as desired) and add to pan
> with sugar. Place over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to
> boil. Boil hard, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Boil
> hard til jell point is reached, between 60 and 90 minutes depending
> on natural fruit pectin available. Jell point test. Chill some
> saucers in freezer while preparing marmalade, 2 or 3. Test: drop a
> small amount of hot marmalade on chilled plate and chill for 2
> minutes. Run finger through marmelade on plate. If surface wrinkles,
> it has reached jelling point. If still syrupy, continue boiling.
> Repeat test at 5 minute intervals til jell point is reached. Remove
> pan from stove and stir for 5 minutes, skimming off any foam. Ladle
> into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal as you like
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>One of the things I bought at Fiesta Market was 3 seville oranges. Fiesta
>>just called them "sour oranges." I didn't know what they were or I woulda
>>bought a bunch of them. Does anyone have a small batch orange marmalade
>>recipe that tells how much water and sugar to use per orange?
>>
>>Most of the orange marmalade recipes I find also have lemon juice. Isn't
>>the orange juice sour enough? Are these recipes assuming you're using
>>sweet oranges even though they specifically say seville oranges? Or maybe
>>the seville oranges are too bitter to use without diluting with lemon

> juice?
>
>>Thanks, regards,
>>Bob

LIMEYNO1

Even if they're not Seville oranges, it should turn out quite nice. I'd
love to hear your results.

Helen

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal as you like
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -
> >

> > "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >
> >>One of the things I bought at Fiesta Market was 3 seville oranges.

Fiesta
> >>just called them "sour oranges." I didn't know what they were or I

woulda
> >>bought a bunch of them. Does anyone have a small batch orange marmalade
> >>recipe that tells how much water and sugar to use per orange?
> >>
> >>Most of the orange marmalade recipes I find also have lemon juice.

Isn't
> >>the orange juice sour enough? Are these recipes assuming you're using
> >>sweet oranges even though they specifically say seville oranges? Or

maybe
> >>the seville oranges are too bitter to use without diluting with lemon

zxcvbob

It's very bitter, and a nice light orange color. I didn't have to add any
red food coloring. I simmered the quartered fruit for about an hour,
stirred it up good to break up the pulp, and simmered it another half hour.
Let it cool a bit and removed the fruit. When that was cooled enough to
handle, I scooped out the pulp and added it back to the water. I mashed a
few of the seeds. Boiled it, strained it, and only had a generous 2 cups
of juice when it shoulda been 3. So I added about 1.5 cups water to the
pulp and boiled it again for 5 minutes and strained that. Now I had almost
3.5 cups of juice. I sliced the orange peel and half the lemon peel into
slivers. Added the sugar to the juice and slowly brought it to a boil. I
added the peel and boiled it hard for about 20 minutes. Then turned it off
and went outside to do some errands. I was hoping the peel would absorb
sugar so it wouldn't float. When I got back to it a few hours later, the
stuff was already getting thick, and the spoon I had stirred it with had
firm jelly in it. I brought it back to a hard boil for a few minutes and
ladled into half-pint jars. It made exactly 5 jars. :-( (I wanted an
extra half a jar or so to eat tomorrow.) I BWB'ed it for 10 minutes, and
set the jars on a towel to cool. It's really pretty, but the peel is still
floating a little. The lids are pinging as I write this.

Best regards,
Bob

LIMEYNO1 wrote:
> Even if they're not Seville oranges, it should turn out quite nice. I'd
> love to hear your results.
>
> Helen
>
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>I looked at your recipe again a little closer and adjusted my ratios:
>>3 sour oranges
>>1 lemon
>>3.5 cups water
>>4.5 cups sugar
>>
>>I probably won't add all the lemon peel back after I extract the juice
>>because I don't want the lemon to overpower the orange. I quartered all
>>the fruit and picked out a few orange seeds to plant. The fruit is all
>>simmering right now.
>>
>>I licked one of the cut oranges and it's quite sour but not very bitter.
>>It looks sort of like a valencia orange inside, but firmer. The flesh is

>>very pale orangish yellow. They are very likely not seville oranges. The
>>peels are getting a little brighter colored as they simmer, but I think I
>>will have to add a drop of red food coloring to the batch.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob
>>

>>LIMEYNO1 wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps you can work it out with my hubby's recipe?
>>>

>>>-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------
>>>
>>> Title: Jim's Orange Marmalade
>>> Recipe By:
>>> Category: Preserving; Family
>>> Main Ingredient:
>>> Cuisine Style:
>>> Yield: 6 Servings
>>>Preparation Time: 0:00
>>> Cooking Time: 0:00
>>>
>>> [Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
>>>---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
>>> 2 lb Seville oranges (about 5)
>>> 6 cup Water
>>> 1 Lemon
>>> 7 1/2 cup Sugar
>>>
>>>[Preparation]
>>>Directions: Put 4 small saucers in freezer. In a very large pot,
>>>combine oranges, lemon and water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Let
>>>simmer 2 hours. DON'T ALLOW TO BOIL. Turn off heat. Remove fruit. Let
>>>cool 5 minutes. Cut in half and scoop pulp, seeds and pith back into
>>>pan. Put shells to one side. Bring pan to a boil and boil hard 5
>>>minutes. Strain through damp cheese cloth in a seive. Gather ends and
>>>squeeze out remaining juice. You should have 6 cups. Make up any
>>>difference with water. Return liquid to pan. Remove all white pith
>>>from skins. Cut skins in fine strips (or as desired) and add to pan
>>>with sugar. Place over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to
>>>boil. Boil hard, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Boil
>>>hard til jell point is reached, between 60 and 90 minutes depending
>>>on natural fruit pectin available. Jell point test. Chill some
>>>saucers in freezer while preparing marmalade, 2 or 3. Test: drop a
>>>small amount of hot marmalade on chilled plate and chill for 2
>>>minutes. Run finger through marmelade on plate. If surface wrinkles,
>>>it has reached jelling point. If still syrupy, continue boiling.
>>>Repeat test at 5 minute intervals til jell point is reached. Remove
>>>pan from stove and stir for 5 minutes, skimming off any foam. Ladle
>>>into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal as you like
>>>
>>>- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

> Fiesta

> woulda

> Isn't

> maybe

>>>juice?

LIMEYNO1

Sounds good. Is that the results you wanted? Bitter I mean?

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> It's very bitter, and a nice light orange color. I didn't have to add any
> red food coloring. I simmered the quartered fruit for about an hour,
> stirred it up good to break up the pulp, and simmered it another half

hour.

zxcvbob

I don't know; I wanted to see what good orange marmalade is *supposed* to
taste like, and have gifts for a few British folks I know.

I need to let it rest for a few days, and then open a jar and see what it's
like. From the looks of it today, it might be gelled too hard; if it is I
will dump all the jars back in the jam pot and thin with a little lemonade
and reprocess it.

Bob

LIMEYNO1 wrote:
> Sounds good. Is that the results you wanted? Bitter I mean?
>
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>It's very bitter, and a nice light orange color. I didn't have to add any
>>red food coloring...

Wayne Boatwright

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> I don't know; I wanted to see what good orange marmalade is *supposed*
> to taste like, and have gifts for a few British folks I know.
>
> I need to let it rest for a few days, and then open a jar and see what
> it's like. From the looks of it today, it might be gelled too hard;
> if it is I will dump all the jars back in the jam pot and thin with a
> little lemonade and reprocess it.
>
> Bob
>
> LIMEYNO1 wrote:
>> Sounds good. Is that the results you wanted? Bitter I mean?
>>
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>
>>>It's very bitter, and a nice light orange color. I didn't have to
>>>add any red food coloring...

Why with lemonade? Why not with orange juice?

Wayne
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote in
> :
>

>> I don't know [what I expected]; I wanted to see what good orange
>> marmalade is *supposed* to taste like, and have gifts for a few
>> British folks I know.
>>
>> I need to let it rest for a few days, and then open a jar and see what
>> it's like. From the looks of it today, it might be gelled too hard;
>> if it is I will dump all the jars back in the jam pot and thin with a
>> little lemonade and reprocess it.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Why with lemonade? Why not with orange juice?
>
> Wayne

The jelly part of the marmalade is nice and clear, and I thought orange
juice would cloudy it up a lot more than lemonade. Plus, it's an excuse to
make lemonade. :-)

Best regards,
Bob

Wayne Boatwright

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> zxcvbob > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I don't know [what I expected]; I wanted to see what good orange
>>> marmalade is *supposed* to taste like, and have gifts for a few
>>> British folks I know.
>>>
>>> I need to let it rest for a few days, and then open a jar and see
>>> what it's like. From the looks of it today, it might be gelled too
>>> hard; if it is I will dump all the jars back in the jam pot and thin
>>> with a little lemonade and reprocess it.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> Why with lemonade? Why not with orange juice?
>>
>> Wayne

> The jelly part of the marmalade is nice and clear, and I thought
> orange juice would cloudy it up a lot more than lemonade. Plus, it's
> an excuse to make lemonade. :-)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Okay. However, when cooked with sugar (or, in this case the jelly of the
marmalade) most juices become clear.

I love home made lemonade! <G>

Wayne
LIMEYNO1

Yes, my hubby found out the hard way that over cooking produces a hard jell,
not a soft jell.

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I don't know; I wanted to see what good orange marmalade is *supposed* to
> taste like, and have gifts for a few British folks I know.
>
> I need to let it rest for a few days, and then open a jar and see what

it's
> like. From the looks of it today, it might be gelled too hard; if it is I
> will dump all the jars back in the jam pot and thin with a little lemonade
> and reprocess it.
>
> Bob
>
> LIMEYNO1 wrote:
> > Sounds good. Is that the results you wanted? Bitter I mean?
> >
> > "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >
> >>It's very bitter, and a nice light orange color. I didn't have to add

any
> >>red food coloring...

zxcvbob

I hardly cooked this at all. The recipe said to boil over an hour; I boiled
maybe 5 minutes. the juice looked like it wanted to gel before I even
added the sugar.

BTW, you know those 6 or 8 seeds that I kept for planting? I put them in a
custard cup with a little water so they wouldn't dry out before I can plant
them. (citrus seeds hate drying out.) I looked at them a few hours later
and they had gelled the water. I guess that's why all marmalade recipes
make a special point of leaving the seeds in when you cook the fruit.

Best regards,
Bob

LIMEYNO1 wrote:

> Yes, my hubby found out the hard way that over cooking produces a hard jell,
> not a soft jell.
>
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>I don't know; I wanted to see what good orange marmalade is *supposed* to
>>taste like, and have gifts for a few British folks I know.
>>
>>I need to let it rest for a few days, and then open a jar and see what

> it's
>
>>like. From the looks of it today, it might be gelled too hard; if it is I
>>will dump all the jars back in the jam pot and thin with a little lemonade
>>and reprocess it.
>>
>>Bob
>>
>>LIMEYNO1 wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds good. Is that the results you wanted? Bitter I mean?

> any

George Shirley

And a former pain in the a** on this group used to argue with me about
citrus seeds having pectin in them. I usually crush the seeds, put them
in a cheesecloth bag, cook them with the marmalade and remove the bag
before jarring. I feel vindicated by your discovery Bob.

George, on the way to the post office

zxcvbob wrote:
> I hardly cooked this at all. The recipe said to boil over an hour; I
> boiled maybe 5 minutes. the juice looked like it wanted to gel before I
> even added the sugar.
>
> BTW, you know those 6 or 8 seeds that I kept for planting? I put them
> in a custard cup with a little water so they wouldn't dry out before I
> can plant them. (citrus seeds hate drying out.) I looked at them a few
> hours later and they had gelled the water. I guess that's why all
> marmalade recipes make a special point of leaving the seeds in when you
> cook the fruit.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob
>
> LIMEYNO1 wrote:
>
>> Yes, my hubby found out the hard way that over cooking produces a hard
>> jell,
>> not a soft jell.

LIMEYNO1

Never thought of that.