angkorman

Default Curing meat in hot climates?

Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
40f. Is this right?

We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

zxcvbob

angkorman wrote:
> Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
> cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
> read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
> 40f. Is this right?
>
> We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
> access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
> and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

How do you feel about salami? The fermented, slightly sour kind?

Bob
zxcvbob

angkorman wrote:
> Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
> cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
> read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
> 40f. Is this right?
>
> We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
> access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
> and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

How do you feel about salami? The fermented, slightly sour kind?

Bob
Gary S.

On 24 Mar 2005 19:40:31 -0800, "angkorman" >
wrote:

>Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
>cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
>read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
>40f. Is this right?
>
>We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
>access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
>and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice.

Another newsgroup, alt.food.barbecue, and its FAQ would be a good
resource for smoking and curing meats.

There are options including hot smoking and cold smoking.

The time meat is between 40F and 140F should be absolutely minimized,
unless there is some preservation process before.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Gary S.

wrote:

>Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
>cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
>read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
>40f. Is this right?
>
>We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
>access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
>and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice.

Another newsgroup, alt.food.barbecue, and its FAQ would be a good
resource for smoking and curing meats.

There are options including hot smoking and cold smoking.

The time meat is between 40F and 140F should be absolutely minimized,
unless there is some preservation process before.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

zxcvbob

Gary S. wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2005 19:40:31 -0800, "angkorman" >
> wrote:
>

>>Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
>>cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
>>read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
>>40f. Is this right?
>>
>>We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
>>access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
>>and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any advice.

> Another newsgroup, alt.food.barbecue, and its FAQ would be a good
> resource for smoking and curing meats.
>
> There are options including hot smoking and cold smoking.

That won't actually preserve the meat though. The smoked meat will have
to be eaten right away or refrigerated.

> The time meat is between 40F and 140F should be absolutely minimized,
> unless there is some preservation process before.

Exactly. That's why I recommended fermented sausage. Nitrites and
lactic acid will preserve the meat. Grinding it insures the salt, cure,
and starter culture penetrate the meat quickly.

Bob
zxcvbob

Gary S. wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2005 19:40:31 -0800, "angkorman" >
> wrote:
>

>>Hello all. Does anyone know if it is possible to brine cure or dry salt
>>cure large pieces of meat (pork) in a tropical climate. From what I've
>>read it seems that curing can only be safely done at temperatures below
>>40f. Is this right?
>>
>>We were hoping to preserve hams by curing and then smoking. We have no
>>access to refrigeration. Locally I've seen meat preserved by salting
>>and sun drying, but only in thin strips like jerky.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any advice.

> Another newsgroup, alt.food.barbecue, and its FAQ would be a good
> resource for smoking and curing meats.
>
> There are options including hot smoking and cold smoking.

That won't actually preserve the meat though. The smoked meat will have
to be eaten right away or refrigerated.

> The time meat is between 40F and 140F should be absolutely minimized,
> unless there is some preservation process before.

Exactly. That's why I recommended fermented sausage. Nitrites and
lactic acid will preserve the meat. Grinding it insures the salt, cure,
and starter culture penetrate the meat quickly.

Bob
Gary S.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:34:36 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Gary S. wrote:
>>
>> Another newsgroup, alt.food.barbecue, and its FAQ would be a good
>> resource for smoking and curing meats.
>>
>> There are options including hot smoking and cold smoking.

>That won't actually preserve the meat though. The smoked meat will have
>to be eaten right away or refrigerated.
>
>> The time meat is between 40F and 140F should be absolutely minimized,
>> unless there is some preservation process before.
>>

>Exactly. That's why I recommended fermented sausage. Nitrites and
>lactic acid will preserve the meat. Grinding it insures the salt, cure,
>and starter culture penetrate the meat quickly.

I am claiming no expertise, just knowing where to look.

Ham is preserved with a combination of curing, cooking and smoking.

Some sausages can be smoked and then preserved from that, but there
are other things added.

Dehydrating the meat is another option.

Pork should go through cooking at some stage before consumption in
case of trichinosis.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
angkorman

Thank all for the replies. I'm pleased we may at least be able to do
salami. I'll see if lactic acid and nitrates are available here in
Cambodia and then hunt down some recipes. Thanks

angkorman

Thank all for the replies. I'm pleased we may at least be able to do
salami. I'll see if lactic acid and nitrates are available here in
Cambodia and then hunt down some recipes. Thanks

angkorman

Thank all for the replies. I'm pleased we may at least be able to do
salami. I'll see if lactic acid and nitrates are available here in
Cambodia and then hunt down some recipes. Thanks

zxcvbob

angkorman wrote:
> Thank all for the replies. I'm pleased we may at least be able to do
> salami. I'll see if lactic acid and nitrates are available here in
> Cambodia and then hunt down some recipes. Thanks

Lactic acid starter culture, and nitrites (and maybe a trace of nitrate).

Proceed very carefully, you are right on the edge of what can be done
safely, and you can make yourself and others extremely sick if you mess
it up. I'm not sure if it can be done safely or not.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

angkorman wrote:
> Thank all for the replies. I'm pleased we may at least be able to do
> salami. I'll see if lactic acid and nitrates are available here in
> Cambodia and then hunt down some recipes. Thanks

Lactic acid starter culture, and nitrites (and maybe a trace of nitrate).

Proceed very carefully, you are right on the edge of what can be done
safely, and you can make yourself and others extremely sick if you mess
it up. I'm not sure if it can be done safely or not.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

angkorman wrote:
> Thank all for the replies. I'm pleased we may at least be able to do
> salami. I'll see if lactic acid and nitrates are available here in
> Cambodia and then hunt down some recipes. Thanks

Lactic acid starter culture, and nitrites (and maybe a trace of nitrate).

Proceed very carefully, you are right on the edge of what can be done
safely, and you can make yourself and others extremely sick if you mess
it up. I'm not sure if it can be done safely or not.

Best regards,
Bob
angkorman

Thanks for coming back Bob. We'll proceed with all caution.

angkorman

Thanks for coming back Bob. We'll proceed with all caution.