Scott

Default making hot sauce (again)

I was considering trying to make hot sauce again. The issue I'd like to
ask about is using a salt "cap." Last time I tried making hot sauce, I
covered the pepper mash with kosher salt before aging. After a few days,
so much liquid was drawn out of the peppers that the topping simply
dissolved. Needless to say, this made the resultant sauce quite salty.
Further, it was my understanding that the purpose of the salt is to keep
the pepper mash away from the air--obviously, that benefit was lost
(though the liquid layer partially substituted).

Any tips or thoughts on this matter?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
George Shirley

Scott wrote:

> I was considering trying to make hot sauce again. The issue I'd like to
> ask about is using a salt "cap." Last time I tried making hot sauce, I
> covered the pepper mash with kosher salt before aging. After a few days,
> so much liquid was drawn out of the peppers that the topping simply
> dissolved. Needless to say, this made the resultant sauce quite salty.
> Further, it was my understanding that the purpose of the salt is to keep
> the pepper mash away from the air--obviously, that benefit was lost
> (though the liquid layer partially substituted).
>
> Any tips or thoughts on this matter?

You're right about the salt cap being to keep air away from the mash.
Mine never dissolves completely but I keep it at about 52F for the
duration of the fermentation. Maybe yours got to hot or something.

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> > I was considering trying to make hot sauce again. The issue I'd like to
> > ask about is using a salt "cap." Last time I tried making hot sauce, I
> > covered the pepper mash with kosher salt before aging. After a few days,
> > so much liquid was drawn out of the peppers that the topping simply
> > dissolved. Needless to say, this made the resultant sauce quite salty.
> > Further, it was my understanding that the purpose of the salt is to keep
> > the pepper mash away from the air--obviously, that benefit was lost
> > (though the liquid layer partially substituted).
> >
> > Any tips or thoughts on this matter?
> >

> You're right about the salt cap being to keep air away from the mash.
> Mine never dissolves completely but I keep it at about 52F for the
> duration of the fermentation. Maybe yours got to hot or something.
>
> George

How about the shape of the vessel? Better a shape skinnier than it is tall or
about even or wider than tallth? Just thinkingth.
Edrena

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>>I was considering trying to make hot sauce again. The issue I'd like to
>>>ask about is using a salt "cap." Last time I tried making hot sauce, I
>>>covered the pepper mash with kosher salt before aging. After a few days,
>>>so much liquid was drawn out of the peppers that the topping simply
>>>dissolved. Needless to say, this made the resultant sauce quite salty.
>>>Further, it was my understanding that the purpose of the salt is to keep
>>>the pepper mash away from the air--obviously, that benefit was lost
>>>(though the liquid layer partially substituted).
>>>
>>>Any tips or thoughts on this matter?
>>>

>>You're right about the salt cap being to keep air away from the mash.
>>Mine never dissolves completely but I keep it at about 52F for the
>>duration of the fermentation. Maybe yours got to hot or something.
>>
>>George

> How about the shape of the vessel? Better a shape skinnier than it is tall or
> about even or wider than tallth? Just thinkingth.
> Edrena

I have a one gallon crock with a lid, used to use it for sourdough, and
a 3-gallon crock, straight sides, that I made a wooden lid for. They
seem to work and I've even used a one-gallon jar a time or two. In my
high humidity, hot climate you will get some mold on top but it's easily
scraped off. Tabasco puts their mash in wooden wine or whiskey barrels,
puts the lid on and covers the lid with about three inches of salt, it
ferments for a year in their privately owned salt mine.

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:

> >>You're right about the salt cap being to keep air away from the mash.
> >>Mine never dissolves completely but I keep it at about 52F for the
> >>duration of the fermentation. Maybe yours got to hot or something.
> >>George

> > How about the shape of the vessel? Better a shape skinnier than it is tall or
> > about even or wider than tallth? Just thinkingth.
> > Edrena
> >

> I have a one gallon crock with a lid, used to use it for sourdough, and
> a 3-gallon crock, straight sides, that I made a wooden lid for. They
> seem to work and I've even used a one-gallon jar a time or two. In my
> high humidity, hot climate you will get some mold on top but it's easily
> scraped off. Tabasco puts their mash in wooden wine or whiskey barrels,
> puts the lid on and covers the lid with about three inches of salt, it
> ferments for a year in their privately owned salt mine.
> George

There is a privately owned salt mine in Carlsbad NM. But they keep toxic waste in
it. If I make hot sauce, I'll just have to keep it in the garage.
Edrena, glowing in the dark

Faye

I am wondering if this can be canned successfully since it has a lot of oil
in it. Can anyone tell me?
Faye

JALAPENO PEPPER SAUCE

5 onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
12 small tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
4 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and simmer for 3 hours. Pour into
hot clean jars and seal tightly with lids. Process in hot water bath for 10
minutes. Place jars on towel to cool slowly.
If a more fine-textured sauce is desired, process ingredients in a blender.

The Joneses

Faye wrote:

> I am wondering if this can be canned successfully since it has a lot of oil
> in it. Can anyone tell me?
> Faye
>
> JALAPENO PEPPER SAUCE
>
> 5 onions, chopped
> 2 bell peppers, chopped
> 12 small tomatoes, chopped
> 3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 1 cup vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 4 tablespoons salt
> 4 tablespoons black pepper
>
> Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and simmer for 3 hours. Pour into
> hot clean jars and seal tightly with lids. Process in hot water bath for 10
> minutes. Place jars on towel to cool slowly.
> If a more fine-textured sauce is desired, process ingredients in a blender.

After only a few seasons, I'm still a rank beginner. Maybe apprentice.
The USDA guidelines call for a pH _below_ 4.7 for safe BWB
canning. This is complicated if you have large chunks of veggies
or if it is very dense. This doesn't look really dense, but I ain't
there. Forward your recipe to:
the Univ of GA which is the USDA's research facility for canning
and preserving. Or you could consult the Ball Blue Book, Putting
Food By, or any of the recommended books on our FAQ:
http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm , for tested
recipes. While botulism is extremely rare, it also extremely toxic.
I'm too important to my family to risk it!
Sounds like a good recipe, tho - let us know how you do. I'm still
searching for the ultimate salsa recipe. I like Pace's, but I like
roasted peppers in mine. I don't see where you would need all that
oil - might just make a richer, more fattening dish and cover up
the flavor of the veggies. If you added this to cheese sauce you
might have a coronary ;( But how about some garlic?
Oregano? Cilantro? More garlic?
Edrena in the Southwest, salsa capitol of the world

zxcvbob

Faye wrote:
> I am wondering if this can be canned successfully since it has a lot of oil
> in it. Can anyone tell me?
> Faye
>

> JALAPENO PEPPER SAUCE
>
> 5 onions, chopped
> 2 bell peppers, chopped
> 12 small tomatoes, chopped
> 3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 1 cup vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 4 tablespoons salt
> 4 tablespoons black pepper
>
> Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and simmer for 3 hours. Pour into
> hot clean jars and seal tightly with lids. Process in hot water bath for 10
> minutes. Place jars on towel to cool slowly.
> If a more fine-textured sauce is desired, process ingredients in a blender.

The oil shouldn't make any difference. The sugar doesn't make any
difference. There's not enough salt to make any difference. It's just
a matter of if there's enough vinegar to BWB process it, or if you'd
need to pressure can it. There's enough onion in there that I would
pressure process it. Ten pounds, for about 15 or 20 minutes. BWB might
be OK, but I don't know. Where did you get the recipe?

Best regards,
Bob
Faye

Hi Bob,
I got the recipe from a cajun cooking group I am on. I thought it would be
more like a tabasco type sauce. I planned on putting into a blender after it
was cooked and then if it had any lumps strain it. What I was concerned
about was the hot water bath with the amount of oil that was in it. Your
idea of the pressure canning is a better one. I have another recipe that I
used last year which turned out great but had no oil but way too much garlic
so if I use that one again I will cut way down on the garlic. I did pressure
can it though.
I appreciate your help as well as Edrena's.
Thanks,
Faye

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Faye wrote:
>> I am wondering if this can be canned successfully since it has a lot of
>> oil
>> in it. Can anyone tell me?
>> Faye
>>

>> JALAPENO PEPPER SAUCE
>>
>> 5 onions, chopped
>> 2 bell peppers, chopped
>> 12 small tomatoes, chopped
>> 3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
>> 1 cup granulated sugar
>> 1 cup cider vinegar
>> 1 cup vegetable oil
>> 1 cup water
>> 4 tablespoons salt
>> 4 tablespoons black pepper
>>
>> Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and simmer for 3 hours. Pour into
>> hot clean jars and seal tightly with lids. Process in hot water bath for
>> 10
>> minutes. Place jars on towel to cool slowly.
>> If a more fine-textured sauce is desired, process ingredients in a
>> blender.
>>

> The oil shouldn't make any difference. The sugar doesn't make any
> difference. There's not enough salt to make any difference. It's just a
> matter of if there's enough vinegar to BWB process it, or if you'd need to
> pressure can it. There's enough onion in there that I would pressure
> process it. Ten pounds, for about 15 or 20 minutes. BWB might be OK, but
> I don't know. Where did you get the recipe?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Faye wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if this can be canned successfully since it has a lot of
> > oil
> > in it. Can anyone tell me?
> > Faye
> >
> > JALAPENO PEPPER SAUCE
> >
> > 5 onions, chopped
> > 2 bell peppers, chopped
> > 12 small tomatoes, chopped
> > 3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
> > 1 cup granulated sugar
> > 1 cup cider vinegar
> > 1 cup vegetable oil
> > 1 cup water
> > 4 tablespoons salt
> > 4 tablespoons black pepper
> >
> > Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and simmer for 3 hours.
> > Pour into hot clean jars and seal tightly with lids. Process in hot
> > water bath for 10 minutes. Place jars on towel to cool slowly. If a
> > more fine-textured sauce is desired, process ingredients in a
> > blender.

> After only a few seasons, I'm still a rank beginner. Maybe apprentice.
> The USDA guidelines call for a pH _below_ 4.7 for safe BWB
> canning.

I'm taught 4.6 is the magic number, Edrena.
(Why the oil in that sauce? Anyone?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, The Joneses
> > wrote:
>
> > Faye wrote:
> >
> > > I am wondering if this can be canned successfully since it has a lot of
> > > oil
> > > in it. Can anyone tell me?
> > > Faye
> > >
> > > JALAPENO PEPPER SAUCE
> > >
> > > 5 onions, chopped
> > > 2 bell peppers, chopped
> > > 12 small tomatoes, chopped
> > > 3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
> > > 1 cup granulated sugar
> > > 1 cup cider vinegar
> > > 1 cup vegetable oil
> > > 1 cup water
> > > 4 tablespoons salt
> > > 4 tablespoons black pepper
> > >
> > > Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and simmer for 3 hours.
> > > Pour into hot clean jars and seal tightly with lids. Process in hot
> > > water bath for 10 minutes. Place jars on towel to cool slowly. If a
> > > more fine-textured sauce is desired, process ingredients in a
> > > blender.

> > After only a few seasons, I'm still a rank beginner. Maybe apprentice.
> > The USDA guidelines call for a pH _below_ 4.7 for safe BWB
> > canning.

> I'm taught 4.6 is the magic number, Edrena.
> (Why the oil in that sauce? Anyone?)
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

4.6 is below 4.7 right? Best said 4.6 and below maybe.
Edrena

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:

>>>The USDA guidelines call for a pH _below_ 4.7 for safe BWB
>>>canning.

>>I'm taught 4.6 is the magic number, Edrena.
>>(Why the oil in that sauce? Anyone?)
>>--
>>-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

> 4.6 is below 4.7 right? Best said 4.6 and below maybe.
> Edrena

There is a whole lot between 4.6 and 4.7. It's not a linear scale.

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >, The Joneses
> > > wrote:

(snippage)

> > > After only a few seasons, I'm still a rank beginner. Maybe
> > > apprentice. The USDA guidelines call for a pH _below_ 4.7 for
> > > safe BWB canning.

> > I'm taught 4.6 is the magic number, Edrena.
> > (Why the oil in that sauce? Anyone?)
> > --
> > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

> 4.6 is below 4.7 right? Best said 4.6 and below maybe.
> Edrena

You're right -- brain fart on my part. :-0) (I'm packing for AZ).
It's interesting if they've changed their verbiage -- 4.6 has always
been the line of demarcation in charts. Interesting.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
SCUBApix

I have been very busy lately but want to let you know that there is a
section in the FAQ that tells you how to evaluate a recipe for
safeness. I haven't checked it for awhile so my memory is faulty but
there are 3 things that jump out at me in the recipe. 1) Only 1 cup of
vinegar which is diluted with 1 cup of water. So you are really
starting with only a 2.5% vinegar solution. I don't know how the oil
impacts that calculation.
2) 12 small tomatoes is simply tough to estimate since what is small to
me may be tiny to you or may be medium. I would GUESS that to be about
2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs of tomatoes. Most tomatoes don't have the acidity of
the heirloom types so need vinegar to bring them to the 4.6 level of
acidity and 3) the onions, bell peppers and jalapenos are all low
acidic vegetables so they need the added acifity. 5 onins is also
ambiguous from a wiehgt standpoint or even a cup measurement. I just
bought one white onion that was 3/4 lb.

Taking all 3 comments together, I would be concerned that it isn't an
acid enough environment. But again, check the FAQ. There is a process
that allows you to better determine the answer.

Good luck.
Scubapix

Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (Why the oil in that sauce? Anyone?)

Because it looks more like a salsa than a sauce?

B/

Faye

Thanks for your comments about my question on the hot sauce. Where do I find
the FAQ's section? Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't know where
to find this.
Faye

"SCUBApix" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have been very busy lately but want to let you know that there is a
> section in the FAQ that tells you how to evaluate a recipe for
> safeness. I haven't checked it for awhile so my memory is faulty but
> there are 3 things that jump out at me in the recipe. 1) Only 1 cup of
> vinegar which is diluted with 1 cup of water. So you are really
> starting with only a 2.5% vinegar solution. I don't know how the oil
> impacts that calculation.
> 2) 12 small tomatoes is simply tough to estimate since what is small to
> me may be tiny to you or may be medium. I would GUESS that to be about
> 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs of tomatoes. Most tomatoes don't have the acidity of
> the heirloom types so need vinegar to bring them to the 4.6 level of
> acidity and 3) the onions, bell peppers and jalapenos are all low
> acidic vegetables so they need the added acifity. 5 onins is also
> ambiguous from a wiehgt standpoint or even a cup measurement. I just
> bought one white onion that was 3/4 lb.
>
> Taking all 3 comments together, I would be concerned that it isn't an
> acid enough environment. But again, check the FAQ. There is a process
> that allows you to better determine the answer.
>
> Good luck.
> Scubapix

The Joneses

SCUBApix wrote:

> (Clipped answer) But again, check the FAQ. There is a process
> that allows you to better determine the answer.
>
> Good luck.
> Scubapix

Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I can reevaluate my canned caponata. Still
too chicken to taste it, altho it looks good.
Edrena

SCUBApix

Faye wrote:
> Thanks for your comments about my question on the hot sauce. Where do

I find
> the FAQ's section? Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't know

where
> to find this.
> Faye

The FAQ is at http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm and the
section I mentioned is in Part 9, Section V, subsection A.2. Jump to
the TOC, Part 9 then browse to the referenced section, click on it and
it will take you to the appropriate place in the FAQ. There are 5
recipes given, 3 that are bad but fixable, one that is bad and
unfixable and one good one. The FAQ goes through how to evealute each
one for safety and how to 'fix' the fixable ones. A quick look at that
section implies to me (I didn't go through the whole process) that the
recipe you gave is NOT safe - too low in acid.

Good luck.
SCUBApix

Faye

Thanks, I think after reading this I should just make part of the recipe and
refrigerate until used up. That would be the only safe thing to do it seems.
Faye

> The FAQ is at http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm and the
> section I mentioned is in Part 9, Section V, subsection A.2. Jump to
> the TOC, Part 9 then browse to the referenced section, click on it and
> it will take you to the appropriate place in the FAQ. There are 5
> recipes given, 3 that are bad but fixable, one that is bad and
> unfixable and one good one. The FAQ goes through how to evealute each
> one for safety and how to 'fix' the fixable ones. A quick look at that
> section implies to me (I didn't go through the whole process) that the
> recipe you gave is NOT safe - too low in acid.
>
> Good luck.
> SCUBApix

zxcvbob

Faye wrote:
> Thanks, I think after reading this I should just make part of the recipe and
> refrigerate until used up. That would be the only safe thing to do it seems.
> Faye
>

>>The FAQ is at http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm and the
>>section I mentioned is in Part 9, Section V, subsection A.2. Jump to
>>the TOC, Part 9 then browse to the referenced section, click on it and
>>it will take you to the appropriate place in the FAQ. There are 5
>>recipes given, 3 that are bad but fixable, one that is bad and
>>unfixable and one good one. The FAQ goes through how to evealute each
>>one for safety and how to 'fix' the fixable ones. A quick look at that
>>section implies to me (I didn't go through the whole process) that the
>>recipe you gave is NOT safe - too low in acid.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>SCUBApix

That's not a bad idea, but if you have a pressure canner you can process
it in that for about 20 minutes at 10 or 11 pounds and it will be
perfectly safe.

Bob