Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default the tomato games continue

which is good. a few days ago we put
up 27 quarts.

today we'll be picking again and putting up
another few batches. juice this time instead
of tomato chunks.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

songbird > wrote:
> which is good. a few days ago we put
> up 27 quarts.
>
> today we'll be picking again and putting up
> another few batches. juice this time instead
> of tomato chunks.

Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
(it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?

There's ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine,
along with many other fruits. Can it be done with tomatos?

Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
not otherwise usable?

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2016 9:14 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> songbird > wrote:
>> which is good. a few days ago we put
>> up 27 quarts.
>>
>> today we'll be picking again and putting up
>> another few batches. juice this time instead
>> of tomato chunks.
>>

> Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
> (it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
> or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?
>
> There's ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine,
> along with many other fruits. Can it be done with tomatos?
>
> Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
> not otherwise usable?
>
> Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.
>
> bob prohaska

I've heard of tomato wine but that's about it and I don't think I would
drink it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

bob prohaska wrote:
> Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
> (it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
> or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?

nothing i've ever heard of. tomatoes are new world
crop, not sure what preserves well in rain forests,
not much i don't think...

> There's ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine,
> along with many other fruits. Can it be done with tomatos?

i'm sure it could be, then distilled. *hic*

however, what i've been smelling after a few
days is mostly vinegar (before i bury the scraps).
potent stuff too.

> Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
> not otherwise usable?
>
> Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2016 8:14 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> songbird > wrote:

> Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
> (it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
> or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?

Instructions:
Fill a clean quart jar with cherry tomatoes.
Add whey and salt, then cover with water, leaving 1 1/2 inches
headspace. Swirl to combine; cover tightly.
Ferment at room temperature for 3 to 4 days, burping daily to release gases.
Transfer to cold storage until ready to eat.
Lacto-fermented Whole Cherry Tomatoes Recipe - Cultures for Health
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/......ted-whole-cher...

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2016 8:25 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/26/2016 9:14 PM, bob prohaska wrote:

>> Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
>> (it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
>> or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?
>>
>> There's ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine,
>> along with many other fruits. Can it be done with tomatos?
>>
>> Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
>> not otherwise usable?
>>
>> Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.
>>
>> bob prohaska
>>

> I've heard of tomato wine but that's about it and I don't think I would
> drink it.

We made tomato wine a few times in the 1970s. Will look for the recipe
(I'm sure I posted it to rfc years ago.) It takes tomatoes, oranges,
yeast, raisins and wate, if I remember correctly.

It ages like a smooth sherry, tastes quite nice.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jim Macey > wrote:

> Instructions:
> Fill a clean quart jar with cherry tomatoes.
> Add whey and salt, then cover with water, leaving 1 1/2 inches
> headspace. Swirl to combine; cover tightly.
> Ferment at room temperature for 3 to 4 days, burping daily to release gases.
> Transfer to cold storage until ready to eat.
> Lacto-fermented Whole Cherry Tomatoes Recipe - Cultures for Health
> http://www.culturesforhealth.com/......ted-whole-cher...

I think this comes closest to answering the spirit of my question. Sort of
like pickled cucumbers, and do-able if the _only_ ingredient in excess supply
is cucumbers.

Thank you!

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p > wrote:

> We made tomato wine a few times in the 1970s. Will look for the recipe
> (I'm sure I posted it to rfc years ago.) It takes tomatoes, oranges,
> yeast, raisins and wate, if I remember correctly.

I noticed your post on tomato wine, which is what I initially
thought I was implying. That the recipe calls for sugar in a
1:1 ratio with the tomatoes, along with lots of other good stuff,
suggests it's not practical to recycle an excess of overripe tomatos
by fermentation as an economy measure.

Thanks for posting,

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Friday, 26 August 2016 22:14:49 UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
> songbird > wrote:
> > which is good. a few days ago we put
> > up 27 quarts.
> >
> > today we'll be picking again and putting up
> > another few batches. juice this time instead
> > of tomato chunks.
> >

> Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
> (it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
> or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?
>
> There's ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine,
> along with many other fruits. Can it be done with tomatos?
>
> Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
> not otherwise usable?
>
> Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.
>
> bob prohaska

It's a very thought provoking set of questions.

1. is there any record, fossil > or otherwise,

Tomatoes of course originated in the Andes. We North Americans barely know anything about North American First Nations history, let alone South American First Nations. So your wording made me go, "gah", in recognition of a massive knowledge gap not just about tomatoes but about a whole continent.

2. ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine

Yes, Genesis 9:20. Indeed!

3. preserving tomatoes by fermentation?

Why not, it's a fruit. Good point.

4. Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
not otherwise usable?

Darn good point. Look at cider, made from falls.

5. Conclusion

As our garden currently produces 200 new cherry tomatoes each frickin' day which we can't use or give away -- I've pickled as much as I can conceive stomaching using both of Ball's tested recipes for them, and the neighbours have taken to locking their car doors lest I break in and sneak a few pints of cherry tomatoes into their back seats -- I think what we need to do is await Gloria P's recipe for Tomato Sherry.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/29/2016 2:42 AM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Friday, 26 August 2016 22:14:49 UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
>> songbird > wrote:
>>> which is good. a few days ago we put
>>> up 27 quarts.
>>>
>>> today we'll be picking again and putting up
>>> another few batches. juice this time instead
>>> of tomato chunks.
>>>

>> Please forgive what may appear to be an absurd question,
>> (it may be absurd in fact) but is there any record, fossil
>> or otherwise, of preserving tomatos by fermentation?
>>
>> There's ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine,
>> along with many other fruits. Can it be done with tomatos?
>>
>> Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
>> not otherwise usable?
>>
>> Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.
>>
>> bob prohaska

> It's a very thought provoking set of questions.
>
> 1. is there any record, fossil > or otherwise,
>
> Tomatoes of course originated in the Andes. We North Americans barely know anything about North American First Nations history, let alone South American First Nations. So your wording made me go, "gah", in recognition of a massive knowledge gap not just about tomatoes but about a whole continent.
>
> 2. ample history of storing surplus grapes as wine
>
> Yes, Genesis 9:20. Indeed!
>
> 3. preserving tomatoes by fermentation?
>
> Why not, it's a fruit. Good point.
>

> 4. Would it be in any way desirable, perhaps to salvage fruit
> not otherwise usable?
>
> Darn good point. Look at cider, made from falls.
>

> 5. Conclusion
>
> As our garden currently produces 200 new cherry tomatoes each frickin' day which we can't use or give away -- I've pickled as much as I can conceive stomaching using both of Ball's tested recipes for them, and the neighbours have taken to locking their car doors lest I break in and sneak a few pints of cherry tomatoes into their back seats -- I think what we need to do is await Gloria P's recipe for Tomato Sherry.

Reminds me of the great duck debacle of 25 years ago or more. We had
several hen ducks and two drakes, they did what ducks do and we had over
a hundred ducklings in no time at all. We ate all we could, then started
giving them to neighbors, cleaned and ready to cook. Neighbors would see
us coming down the the street with a paper bag and they would turn off
their lights and lock their doors. Finally found a kitchen that fed the
poor, they were delighted to get all the ducks we gave them. We gave
them ALL the ducks eventually as we did not want another duck exercise ever.

Made us wary of planting or growing a lot of anything. Moderation in
gardening and duckship is good.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2016 9:24 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> gloria p > wrote:
>>
>> We made tomato wine a few times in the 1970s. Will look for the recipe
>> (I'm sure I posted it to rfc years ago.) It takes tomatoes, oranges,
>> yeast, raisins and wate, if I remember correctly.
>>

> I noticed your post on tomato wine, which is what I initially
> thought I was implying. That the recipe calls for sugar in a
> 1:1 ratio with the tomatoes, along with lots of other good stuff,
> suggests it's not practical to recycle an excess of overripe tomatos
> by fermentation as an economy measure.
>
> Thanks for posting,
>
> bob prohaska

No, not an economy measure, just another one of those late
1960s fantasy things you make once or twice just to see if it's possible.

Another one--homemade ketchup. Our first garden provided so many
tomatoes we thought this was a good way to use them.

A bushel or so of tomatoes, onions, vinegar and $10 worth of spices
(which was a LOT of money in the 60s) a hot day spent over a hot stove
yielded about a quart of ketchup whose flavor was terribly disappointing
when compared to Heinz or Hunt's. We were in our mid-20s and it was
just another adventure. Live and learn.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/29/2016 8:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> Finally found a kitchen that fed the
> poor, they were delighted to get all the ducks we gave them. We gave
> them ALL the ducks eventually as we did not want another duck exercise
> ever.
>
> Made us wary of planting or growing a lot of anything. Moderation in
> gardening and duckship is good.

Amen, Brother George. When people refuse good, free food, it makes me
wonder how hungry they have to be before they accept it.

I made two loaves of zucchini bread yesterday, some baked zucchini
patties, and froze another batch of grated yellow zucchini for winter
bread-making. It make a nice breakfast.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/29/2016 10:47 AM, gloria p wrote:
> On 8/27/2016 9:24 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
>> gloria p > wrote:
>>>
>>> We made tomato wine a few times in the 1970s. Will look for the recipe
>>> (I'm sure I posted it to rfc years ago.) It takes tomatoes, oranges,
>>> yeast, raisins and wate, if I remember correctly.
>>>

>> I noticed your post on tomato wine, which is what I initially
>> thought I was implying. That the recipe calls for sugar in a
>> 1:1 ratio with the tomatoes, along with lots of other good stuff,
>> suggests it's not practical to recycle an excess of overripe tomatos
>> by fermentation as an economy measure.
>>
>> Thanks for posting,
>>
>> bob prohaska
>>

> No, not an economy measure, just another one of those late
> 1960s fantasy things you make once or twice just to see if it's possible.
>
> Another one--homemade ketchup. Our first garden provided so many
> tomatoes we thought this was a good way to use them.
>
> A bushel or so of tomatoes, onions, vinegar and $10 worth of spices
> (which was a LOT of money in the 60s) a hot day spent over a hot stove
> yielded about a quart of ketchup whose flavor was terribly disappointing
> when compared to Heinz or Hunt's. We were in our mid-20s and it was
> just another adventure. Live and learn.
>
> gloria p

PS: This made 1 1/2 quarts. Not worth the time and effort.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/29/2016 11:55 AM, gloria p wrote:
> On 8/29/2016 8:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Finally found a kitchen that fed the
>> poor, they were delighted to get all the ducks we gave them. We gave
>> them ALL the ducks eventually as we did not want another duck exercise
>> ever.
>>
>> Made us wary of planting or growing a lot of anything. Moderation in
>> gardening and duckship is good.

> Amen, Brother George. When people refuse good, free food, it makes me
> wonder how hungry they have to be before they accept it.

Mid-sixties, all of us had very good jobs in the chemical and oil
industries. Making more money in a week than our parents did in two
months when they were our age. I took a $20K hit in salary when I went
into management, no overtime, no shift differential, no overtime.
Dropped from close to $40K to about $17K. Made it back and more in two
years just from being good at what I did plus we went overseas for five
years and got loads of $$$$ on that deal.

> I made two loaves of zucchini bread yesterday, some baked zucchini
> patties, and froze another batch of grated yellow zucchini for winter
> bread-making. It make a nice breakfast.
>
> gloria p

Our zucchini crop this year was nil, something killed the plants before
they could bloom. We still have lots of zukes, shredded, sliced, etc. in
vacuum bags in the freezer. I've been thinking of zuke bread and you
just triggered it. Miz Anne's sisters will be here day after tomorrow so
I will make a loaf tomorrow. I also shred and slice yellow squash, makes
good casseroles and bread also.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

songbird wrote:
> which is good. a few days ago we put
> up 27 quarts.
>
> today we'll be picking again and putting up
> another few batches. juice this time instead
> of tomato chunks.

we picked again yesterday and put up a fourth
batch of juice. dunno how many juices total so
far, i'm not getting up to look in the book...

30 pints yesterday (we had a lot of pint jars
and she wanted to give these away to her friends
who don't cook that much). 10 quarts this
morning.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

crazyness continues, 30 quarts of juice
between last night and today. will do chunks
tonight (about 14 quarts).

also did four pints of red peppers
(fried until some burned a little and
then packed into jars and then put in
the freezer). my new spaghetti sauce...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

19 more quarts yesterday of tomato chunks.
all plinked ok. music to the ears.

have had two failures (one jar broke
while sealing) and another spoiled and
was noticed when we were moving some.

the spoilage problme is no surprise to
me as we've had a lot of oddly shaped
fruits (the first half of the harvest)
with a lot of inclusions and stems going
all the way to the bottom, etc. probably
from the high heat.

later in the season more tomatoes are
shaped as they should be. much easier to
clean/process. *whew*

we have a few buckets ripening yet and
maybe a few more buckets out on the plants.

i roughly added up the total in the
records and it's over 200 quarts so far.
not bad for 20 tomato plants and not
counting what we've given away or eaten
fresh.

had to laugh the other day when we
heard of someone who has 300+ plants.
like, yow... must sell them...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default plinks and pics

more tomatoes? yep. 13 quarts a few
days ago and another 12 yesterday.

winding down now though as all that is
left out there is green and it's getting
cold enough at night that the plants will
be shutting down...

and here are links from this summer in
case you missed seeing any of these

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/p9240...e_Bean_Tan.jpg