Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default dill pickles

just waiting for the timer to ding and
they'll be done.

first batch, 12 quarts.

we haven't done dill pickles since we
started growing cucumbers here so this is
the first homemade ones we've done since
i was a kid.

my bro and his kids love 'em. i'm not
a huge fan of dill pickles, i like the sweet
bread and butter kind instead. i'll try
these when they're ready, but likely won't
eat many. most of these will be given away.

the dill was homegrown too, i have no idea
how much you really need, the recipe says two
sprigs. i just put it in there. can you put
too much?

also lifted the garlic this morning. not
too many bulbs, but it will be plenty for us.

hot today again, but we're hiding inside
now so it's ok.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/23/2016 2:15 PM, songbird wrote:
> just waiting for the timer to ding and
> they'll be done.
>
> first batch, 12 quarts.
>
> we haven't done dill pickles since we
> started growing cucumbers here so this is
> the first homemade ones we've done since
> i was a kid.
>
> my bro and his kids love 'em. i'm not
> a huge fan of dill pickles, i like the sweet
> bread and butter kind instead. i'll try
> these when they're ready, but likely won't
> eat many. most of these will be given away.

We eat dill pickles readily, some of the grands and great grands like
them too. Mostly they want us to make sour pickles and I'm not good at that.

> the dill was homegrown too, i have no idea
> how much you really need, the recipe says two
> sprigs. i just put it in there. can you put
> too much?

We planted both dill and basil when we moved here, haven't had to
replant since, they grow like the weeds they originally were.

> also lifted the garlic this morning. not
> too many bulbs, but it will be plenty for us.

We've never had good luck with garlic other than the big ones, they just
seem to disappear.

> hot today again, but we're hiding inside
> now so it's ok.
>

> songbird

The heat started with 80F upon rising from bed, has gone higher all day,
I haven't even looked at the repeating thermometer, afraid I might fall
over. Just came in from picking the last of the crowder peas, big straw
hat didn't do me a bit of good, came in soaked with sweat.

We had a community garage sale this morning 0700 to 1200. Luckily we
still have our ten by ten canopy, that helped. Got rid of the 100 year
old cream separator, sold a bunch of books she had piled up, all the
plant starts from earlier this year sold. We still have the draftsman's
table and the ladies bike, maybe another time. Didn't get rich but got
rid of a lot of stuff and have a few bucks for later use. Probably
buying more stuff or plants.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> songbird wrote:

>> my bro and his kids love 'em. i'm not
>> a huge fan of dill pickles, i like the sweet
>> bread and butter kind instead. i'll try
>> these when they're ready, but likely won't
>> eat many. most of these will be given away.

> We eat dill pickles readily, some of the grands and great grands like
> them too. Mostly they want us to make sour pickles and I'm not good at that.

why is that? i've never made them here but
the directions don't seem too difficult.

>> the dill was homegrown too, i have no idea
>> how much you really need, the recipe says two
>> sprigs. i just put it in there. can you put
>> too much?

> We planted both dill and basil when we moved here, haven't had to
> replant since, they grow like the weeds they originally were.

yeah, but can you put too much in a jar?
they look ok.

>> also lifted the garlic this morning. not
>> too many bulbs, but it will be plenty for us.

> We've never had good luck with garlic other than the big ones, they just
> seem to disappear.

some varieties will do better with hotter
weather, but up here the stuff grows well
enough. even in our clay the vagrants and
ones i've not yet weeded out of the green
manure patch even seem to do well. i'd like
to keep digging more up to get it out of
there but the lack of rains makes it too
hard digging and i'm trying to get the grasses
out of there first.

maybe some rain today (Sunday) if we're lucky.

>> hot today again, but we're hiding inside
>> now so it's ok.
>>

> The heat started with 80F upon rising from bed, has gone higher all day,
> I haven't even looked at the repeating thermometer, afraid I might fall
> over. Just came in from picking the last of the crowder peas, big straw
> hat didn't do me a bit of good, came in soaked with sweat.
>
> We had a community garage sale this morning 0700 to 1200. Luckily we
> still have our ten by ten canopy, that helped. Got rid of the 100 year
> old cream separator, sold a bunch of books she had piled up, all the
> plant starts from earlier this year sold. We still have the draftsman's
> table and the ladies bike, maybe another time. Didn't get rich but got
> rid of a lot of stuff and have a few bucks for later use. Probably
> buying more stuff or plants.

house plants? i used to grow four eight foot
shelves of those with lights on a wall where i used
to live when growing up. gave me stuff to do at
times. i learned how to do various kinds of plant
propagation as a kid.

we don't have room for a lot of stuff here. it
helps keep us from getting too much things we don't
particularly need.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/24/2016 2:41 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> my bro and his kids love 'em. i'm not
>>> a huge fan of dill pickles, i like the sweet
>>> bread and butter kind instead. i'll try
>>> these when they're ready, but likely won't
>>> eat many. most of these will be given away.

>> We eat dill pickles readily, some of the grands and great grands like
>> them too. Mostly they want us to make sour pickles and I'm not good at that.

> why is that? i've never made them here but
> the directions don't seem too difficult.

The best sour pickles are made the old fashioned way, in a crock in a
cool cellar. No cellars here, no cool places here unless you turn the
thermostat down to just above freezing. In laws in Maryland made sour
pickles in their furnace room, just a step down from the regular floor.
Came out really sour. I tried in a crock in Louisiana and grew a lot of
really ugly stuff on top, gave it up.

>>> the dill was homegrown too, i have no idea
>>> how much you really need, the recipe says two
>>> sprigs. i just put it in there. can you put
>>> too much?

Yes, you can, I always use fernleaf dill for pickles, a couple of sprigs
is about right.

>> We planted both dill and basil when we moved here, haven't had to
>> replant since, they grow like the weeds they originally were.

> yeah, but can you put too much in a jar?
> they look ok.

Yup, you can overdo dill and it gets nasty.

>>> also lifted the garlic this morning. not
>>> too many bulbs, but it will be plenty for us.

>> We've never had good luck with garlic other than the big ones, they just
>> seem to disappear.

> some varieties will do better with hotter
> weather, but up here the stuff grows well
> enough. even in our clay the vagrants and
> ones i've not yet weeded out of the green
> manure patch even seem to do well. i'd like
> to keep digging more up to get it out of
> there but the lack of rains makes it too
> hard digging and i'm trying to get the grasses
> out of there first.
>
> maybe some rain today (Sunday) if we're lucky.

The weather heads are saying the same thing here, it's Sunday and
nothing but bright, hot, sunshine.

>>> hot today again, but we're hiding inside
>>> now so it's ok.
>>>

>> The heat started with 80F upon rising from bed, has gone higher all day,
>> I haven't even looked at the repeating thermometer, afraid I might fall
>> over. Just came in from picking the last of the crowder peas, big straw
>> hat didn't do me a bit of good, came in soaked with sweat.
>>
>> We had a community garage sale this morning 0700 to 1200. Luckily we
>> still have our ten by ten canopy, that helped. Got rid of the 100 year
>> old cream separator, sold a bunch of books she had piled up, all the
>> plant starts from earlier this year sold. We still have the draftsman's
>> table and the ladies bike, maybe another time. Didn't get rich but got
>> rid of a lot of stuff and have a few bucks for later use. Probably
>> buying more stuff or plants.

> house plants? i used to grow four eight foot
> shelves of those with lights on a wall where i used
> to live when growing up. gave me stuff to do at
> times. i learned how to do various kinds of plant
> propagation as a kid.

Miz Anne has been messing around with plants for eons. She visits the
plant stores and looks for pieces dropped on the floor or, accidentally,
pinch off a small start.
> we don't have room for a lot of stuff here. it
> helps keep us from getting too much things we don't
> particularly need.
>

> songbird

Come and visit, you will see rooms, garage, everything full of "stuff"
that is very important. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> We eat dill pickles readily, some of the grands and great grands like
>>> them too. Mostly they want us to make sour pickles and I'm not good at that.

>> why is that? i've never made them here but
>> the directions don't seem too difficult.

> The best sour pickles are made the old fashioned way, in a crock in a
> cool cellar. No cellars here, no cool places here unless you turn the
> thermostat down to just above freezing. In laws in Maryland made sour
> pickles in their furnace room, just a step down from the regular floor.
> Came out really sour. I tried in a crock in Louisiana and grew a lot of
> really ugly stuff on top, gave it up.

ah, yeah, that could be a problem.

> Yes, you can, I always use fernleaf dill for pickles, a couple of sprigs
> is about right.

well... we shall see in a week when we can
first pop some open and try them.

>>> We planted both dill and basil when we moved here, haven't had to
>>> replant since, they grow like the weeds they originally were.

>> yeah, but can you put too much in a jar?
>> they look ok.

> Yup, you can overdo dill and it gets nasty.

i shall be more moderate on the next batch.
maybe.

>> maybe some rain today (Sunday) if we're lucky.

> The weather heads are saying the same thing here, it's Sunday and
> nothing but bright, hot, sunshine.

we did get some rain today and may get
some more. would be nice. good soakers
have been rare this season.

>> house plants? i used to grow four eight foot
>> shelves of those with lights on a wall where i used
>> to live when growing up. gave me stuff to do at
>> times. i learned how to do various kinds of plant
>> propagation as a kid.

> Miz Anne has been messing around with plants for eons. She visits the
> plant stores and looks for pieces dropped on the floor or, accidentally,
> pinch off a small start.

sometimes that's all it takes.

>> we don't have room for a lot of stuff here. it
>> helps keep us from getting too much things we don't
>> particularly need.
>>

> Come and visit, you will see rooms, garage, everything full of "stuff"
> that is very important. <G>

sure, the garage is stacked with bins of
fabric and stepping stones. i tried to talk
her into getting rid of the stepping stones
this spring when she delivered them, she
could have taken them all, but she wanted to
wait another year. it would be nice to get
that part of the garage back so we didn't
have to keep working around it. ah well.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/24/2016 11:34 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> why is that? i've never made them here but
>>> the directions don't seem too difficult.

>> The best sour pickles are made the old fashioned way, in a crock in a
>> cool cellar. No cellars here, no cool places here unless you turn the
>> thermostat down to just above freezing. In laws in Maryland made sour
>> pickles in their furnace room, just a step down from the regular floor.
>> Came out really sour. I tried in a crock in Louisiana and grew a lot of
>> really ugly stuff on top, gave it up.

> ah, yeah, that could be a problem.

>> Yes, you can, I always use fernleaf dill for pickles, a couple of sprigs
>> is about right.

> well... we shall see in a week when we can
> first pop some open and try them.

>>> yeah, but can you put too much in a jar?
>>> they look ok.

>> Yup, you can overdo dill and it gets nasty.

> i shall be more moderate on the next batch.
> maybe.

>>> maybe some rain today (Sunday) if we're lucky.

>> The weather heads are saying the same thing here, it's Sunday and
>> nothing but bright, hot, sunshine.

> we did get some rain today and may get
> some more. would be nice. good soakers
> have been rare this season.

>>> house plants? i used to grow four eight foot
>>> shelves of those with lights on a wall where i used
>>> to live when growing up. gave me stuff to do at
>>> times. i learned how to do various kinds of plant
>>> propagation as a kid.

>> Miz Anne has been messing around with plants for eons. She visits the
>> plant stores and looks for pieces dropped on the floor or, accidentally,
>> pinch off a small start.

> sometimes that's all it takes.
>

>>> we don't have room for a lot of stuff here. it
>>> helps keep us from getting too much things we don't
>>> particularly need.
>>>

>> Come and visit, you will see rooms, garage, everything full of "stuff"
>> that is very important. <G>

> sure, the garage is stacked with bins of
> fabric and stepping stones. i tried to talk
> her into getting rid of the stepping stones
> this spring when she delivered them, she
> could have taken them all, but she wanted to
> wait another year. it would be nice to get
> that part of the garage back so we didn't
> have to keep working around it. ah well.
>

> songbird

I gave up trying to stop the inflow of stuff years ago. Once a hoarder,
always a hoarder. Couldn't even get her to go to the shrink either. I
sleep in a separate room due to the clutter in the master, stuff stacked
up everywhere. If she goes first there's going to be a massive garage
sale or everything will go to the church store for a write-off. It's a
disease, not only among women, had a male friend who kept the oddest
things I've ever seen and would protect them with his life. He died
alone and wasn't found for a week, nothing in the house was worth
keeping by then. She will outlive me for sure, her Mom lived to be just
short of 101. I don't stand a chance. Most of the men in my family are
gone early, I'm one of the lucky ones, still kicking and will soon be 77
if an "accident" doesn't happen. <G> I tell folks I want to live to 105
and get shot by a jealous husband. I suspect that ain't gonna happen either.

Dill pickles Nick Cramer Preserving 12 09-03-2013 10:18 PM
More on dill pickles George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 10 15-06-2011 12:30 AM
Dill Pickles Tim Recipes 0 23-07-2005 03:07 PM
Dill Pickles Dark Jedi General Cooking 1 11-07-2004 02:41 PM
Dill Pickles Alex Preserving 18 22-06-2004 05:43 PM