Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Figs

Looks like the fig crop is done now. We ended up with about ten pints of
jam, probably would have been more if we had put the netting up sooner
than later. I will redo the netting this fall when it is cooler and use
better materials. Next fig season the birds will have to work at
stealing the figs.

I've been picking small batches of black crowder peas twice a day. I
shuck the peas, put them in a container in the fridge and, when it is
full, I freeze them on a bun pan for an hour and then vacuum bag them
and back into the freezer for later use. The dried peas I find
occasionally go into a zip bag and into the refrigerator. When I get
enough I will put them in a cooking pan and then cover with water. Once
they're reconstituted them selves I will cook them with some ham and eat
the things. Don't need more seed as the provider sold us a hefty batch
of seed originally.

We harvested so much green beans last season that we still have a couple
of dozen jars in the pantry and the big freezer is full of all sorts of
goodies from last season. I don't think we will starve anytime soon
unless the electricity goes off for a long time.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/10/2016 2:28 PM, George Shirley wrote:
I don't think we will starve anytime soon
> unless the electricity goes off for a long time.
>
> George

George:

If you have occasional outages it would be smart to identify a local
source for dry ice to keep things frozen until the power goes back on.
Some supermarkets carry it and some local dairies around here.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/11/2016 4:28 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 7/10/2016 2:28 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> I don't think we will starve anytime soon
>> unless the electricity goes off for a long time.
>>
>> George

> George:
>
> If you have occasional outages it would be smart to identify a local
> source for dry ice to keep things frozen until the power goes back on.
> Some supermarkets carry it and some local dairies around here.
>
> gloria p

Our outages last from two or three minutes to the occasional hour. Both
our freezers and the fridge are fairly new and can hold the 0 temp
longer than that.

Most of our outages occur in strong winds or lightning storms, due to
the aged equipment, that is being replaced fairly quickly.

When we moved here there were three or four subdivisions close by, there
have been at least ten or twelve built or building since 2012. In a
thunderstorm the old equipment tends to shut down, the new stuff is
better protected.

Back in the mid-sixties I hunted on the property that this subdivision
sits on. It was low land and often wet, at least five feet of clay has
been laid down here with a little sand on top to raise the houses out of
the flood zone. We don't get flooded, but it's really hard to garden in
gumbo clay, hence the raised beds.

How's things with you Gloria?

Figs modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 12 19-07-2008 06:20 PM
Figs, figs, figs George Shirley Preserving 0 09-07-2008 03:41 PM
Dem figs George Shirley Preserving 7 27-06-2008 02:25 AM
Something to do with figs modom General Cooking 2 22-07-2005 09:50 PM
Figs, figs, figs Frogleg General Cooking 5 14-11-2003 12:52 PM