Frogleg

Default Figs, figs, figs

Just helped pick about 14lb of the critters. *How* do you get the
latex off?! I'm now a fig Post-it!

Googled rfc and r.f.preserving, and see that fig jam is pretty much a
bunch of figs, a bunch of sugar, and some lemon. Barb, what did *you*
do with them?
Bob Pastorio

Frogleg wrote:

> Just helped pick about 14lb of the critters. *How* do you get the
> latex off?! I'm now a fig Post-it!
>
> Googled rfc and r.f.preserving, and see that fig jam is pretty much a
> bunch of figs, a bunch of sugar, and some lemon. Barb, what did *you*
> do with them?

I'm not Barb but I do play one on TV.

From the stem end, cut them about 80% of the way to the bottom and do
it again at 90 degrees so you cut it into quarters, but still joined
at the base. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on them and broil.

Wrap them in microscopially-thin slices of ham and serve as an
appetizer or the whole dinner with a good wine. And a veggie, if you
absolutely must.

Trim off the stem and the little hard nodule at the base and puree.
Make into ice cream. Or fruit leather. Or mix with honey as a spread.
Or as the filling in a bar cookie (think "Newtons"). Or in breads like
pumpkin or date-nut bread. Or a conserve. Or freeze.

Or make open-top tarts with either a cake or custard base.

Or lay them out on cookie sheets on plastic and freeze. Move to a
closed container after they're frozen.

Or use in fruitcakes. Or steamed puddings.

Pastorio

Erica

My favorite thing to do with them is to cut them in half, stuff them
with blue cheese (I like Maytag), press halves back together, wrap
with pancetta, grill, and serve as an appetizer. Or, just stuff them
with prosciutto. Mmmmm...

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> Just helped pick about 14lb of the critters. *How* do you get the
> latex off?! I'm now a fig Post-it!
>
> Googled rfc and r.f.preserving, and see that fig jam is pretty much a
> bunch of figs, a bunch of sugar, and some lemon. Barb, what did *you*
> do with them?

Becca

(recipes below)

How to Freeze Figs

· Sugar pack: Roll whole or halved figs in 1 part sugar to 4 parts
fruit and pack in plastic freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze.

· Syrup pack: Pack whole or halved figs in can-or-freeze jars. Cover
with a 50 percent syrup (see note), leaving 1/4 inch headspace for pints
or 1/2 inch for quarts. Seal, label and freeze.

Note: You can make a 50 percent syrup by boiling 3 cups sugar and 3 cups
liquid from fruit or water until thickened. You also can use 1 1/2 cups
sugar, 1 cup corn syrup and 3 cups liquid, or 1 cup sugar, 1 cup honey
and 4 cups liquid.

· Whole without sugar: Place figs in plastic freezer containers,
filling all spaces well. Seal, label and freeze. Some experts recommend
sprinkling figs with dissolved ascorbic acid or another anti-browning
agent, filling freezer container, shaking to pack figs closely, then
freezing.

To serve frozen figs, thaw them until frosty, slice if desired, and
serve with cream as a breakfast dish or dessert. Frozen figs may be
served whole with whipped cream, cream or ice cream. A touch of ginger
is compatible.

Cooking Frozen Figs

Frozen figs may be served as described above. They also may be cooked or
used for preserves. Here's the basic cooking method:

Empty frozen figs into a saucepan, add water nearly to the top and heat,
cooking slowly. Add sugar to taste. They are done when figs can be
easily pierced with a toothpick.

Jell-O Fig-Berry Preserves

3 cups mashed figs (about 20 medium; see note)
2 (4-serving-size) packages or 1 (8-serving-size) gelatin
2 1/2 cups sugar
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Thoroughly mix figs, gelatin, sugar and juice in a large, heavy
saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue boiling 30
minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour quickly into sterilized canning
jars, wipe tops with a clean cloth, carefully run a knife blade around
edge to release bubbles, and seal at once with a tight lid. After
preserves sit 24 hours, store in refrigerator.

For extended storage: Process jars in a boiling-water bath. Bring water
to a boil in a large pot or canner. Lower jars into water with jar
lifter. When water returns to a full rolling boil, boil half-pints 5
minutes and pints 10 minutes. Remove from water and set on counter to
cool. Makes 5 or 6 (6-ounce) canning jars. Recipe may be halved.

Note: If dark figs are used, preserves will be a deep purple color. For
lighter preserves, figs may be peeled.

Preserved Figs

4 pounds firm, ripe figs
4 1/2 pounds sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 lemons, sliced
Few pieces whole cinnamon or ginger (optional)

Wash and peel figs. Combine sugar and juice; add enough water to
dissolve sugar. Add figs and lemon slices; cook in large, heavy pan or
kettle 45 minutes. (The cinnamon or ginger may be tied in a cloth bag
and cooked with figs for added flavor.) Stir frequently to prevent
sticking. Pack in hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust
caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling-water bath. Start counting time when
water returns to a boil after jars are added. Makes about 10 (6-ounce)
jars. If using pints or quarts, process 15 minutes in boiling-water
bath.

Fig Pickles

4 quarts firm, ripe figs
5 cups sugar, divided
2 quarts water
3 cups clear vinegar (5 percent to 6 percent acidity)
1 tablespoon whole allspice
2 sticks cinnamon

Wash and peel figs. (If unpeeled figs are preferred, pour boiling water
over figs and let stand until cool; drain.) Add 3 cups sugar to water
and cook until sugar dissolves. Add figs and cook slowly 30 minutes. Add
remaining sugar and vinegar. Tie allspice and cinnamon in a cheesecloth
bag; add to figs. Cook gently until figs are clear. Cover and let stand
12 to 24 hours in a cool place.

Remove spice bag. Heat to simmering; pack figs into hot jars, leaving
1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in
a boiling-water bath. Makes about 8 pints.

Honey Fig Newtons

Fig Filling (recipes follows for dried and fresh)
2 cups each: honey, shortening and sugar
4 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (thinnest colored part of peel only)
12 cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons each: baking soda and salt

Prepare Fig Filling and set aside to cool. Lightly coat baking sheets
with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In large electric mixer bowl, combine honey, shortening and sugar. Beat
on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, juice and zest. In
another large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt 3
times. Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture, then place dough on a
lightly floured surface.

Roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 36 strips, each about 6 inches long
and 3 inches wide. Spread cooled Fig Filling in center of each strip,
then fold sides to meet in center. Place filled strips on baking sheets;
bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cut each strip crosswise into 3
pieces. Makes about 9 dozen bars.

Dried Fig Filling

2 quarts ground dried figs or dates
2 cups honey
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup orange juice

Combine figs, honey, water, and lemon and orange juices in a large
stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring
constantly, 15 minutes. Cool before using. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts
filling.

Fresh Fig Filling

2 cups finely chopped figs or mashed cooked prunes
(or 2 cups uncooked prunes)
3/4 cup each: water and sugar
Fresh lemon juice (optional)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a large saucepan, combine figs, water, sugar and a squeeze of juice.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Set aside to cool. Makes about 3 cups
filling.

This recipe, which makes about 3 cups filling, would have to be tripled
or quadrupled to make enough for the above Honey Fig Newtons recipe.

Oatmeal Fig Bars

8 ounces fresh figs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon each: baking soda and salt
1 cup quick-cooking oats

Place figs in food processor or blender; process to purée; mixture
should measure a scant cup. Combine fig purée, cinnamon and sugar in a
microwaveable bowl. Microwave 5 minutes on high; stir in juice and
walnuts. Set aside to cool.

To make crust, place margarine in a 2-quart batter bowl. Microwave on
high power 30 seconds or until margarine is soft. Add brown sugar; use
an electric mixer to cream mixture. Add flour, soda and salt; blend
well. Stir in oats to make a crumbly mixture.

Press half the crust mixture evenly on the bottom of a lightly buttered
8-by-8-by-2-inch glass pan. Microwave 4 minutes on high, rotating 180
degrees midway through cooking. Spread fig mixture evenly over top, then
crumble remaining crust mixture over fig mixture before cutting. Makes
36 squares.

To store, wrap in wax paper. Do not store in an airtight container,
because bars will soften.

Variation: The filling also may be made with pitted chopped dates or
dried prunes. You must add 1/4 cup water when cooking dates or prunes
for filling.

Fig Pie

3 or more cups cleaned, trimmed figs
1 (9-inch) pie crust, unbaked
2 well-beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups plus 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup plus 8 tablespoons flour, divided
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons soft margarine (not diet)
Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Arrange figs in pie crust. Mix eggs, 1 1/2
cups sugar and 1/2 cup flour. Add cream and salt; mix thoroughly. Pour
mixture over figs. Combine remaining sugar and flour; cut in margarine.
Sprinkle over figs and filling. Sprinkle pie with cinnamon. Bake until
crust and top of pie are golden brown.

From Ann Criswell, food editor of the Houston Chronicle newspaper.

Erica wrote:

> My favorite thing to do with them is to cut them in half, stuff them
> with blue cheese (I like Maytag), press halves back together, wrap
> with pancetta, grill, and serve as an appetizer. Or, just stuff them
> with prosciutto. Mmmmm...
>
> Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> > Just helped pick about 14lb of the critters. *How* do you get the
> > latex off?! I'm now a fig Post-it!
> >
> > Googled rfc and r.f.preserving, and see that fig jam is pretty much a
> > bunch of figs, a bunch of sugar, and some lemon. Barb, what did *you*
> > do with them?

ExpatNL

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> Just helped pick about 14lb of the critters. *How* do you get the
> latex off?! I'm now a fig Post-it!
>
> Googled rfc and r.f.preserving, and see that fig jam is pretty much a
> bunch of figs, a bunch of sugar, and some lemon. Barb, what did *you*
> do with them?

[sorry, not barb]. you could also quickly cook them in a grill pan, or on
the barbie. good with barbie and in salad. there's some french [soft]
cheese that contain figs but i haven't tried that yet. easiest is to eat
them with prociutto, i usually eat them fresh as is. fig jam is my fav.

Frogleg

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:30:16 -0600, Becca >
wrote:

>(recipes below)

<snipped, but saved>

THANK YOU, Becca! My jam turned out quite nicely, and wihile
suggestions of goat cheese and proscuitto sound good, I'm one person
with (now) 11lbs of figs. I especially like the idea of sugaring and
freezing. I'm one of those who often replies to posts by suggesting
a Google search, and believe me, I've tried. Your compendium is
priceless. I do appreciate it.

BTW, many of the figs seem to have ripened somewhat (rather than
spoiled) in 2 days. Directions I found for drying suggested drying was
only suitable for fully ripe fruit that had fallen from the tree (and
that the fruit spoiled quickly). Looks as if it *is* a possibility for
picked fruit.

No hints for de-latexing, however. :-) It *did* wear off, 'though
soap, water, and household cleaning spray was relatively ineffective.

Figs George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 2 12-07-2016 12:12 AM
Figs modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 12 19-07-2008 06:20 PM
Figs, figs, figs George Shirley Preserving 0 09-07-2008 03:41 PM
Dem figs George Shirley Preserving 7 27-06-2008 02:25 AM
Something to do with figs modom General Cooking 2 22-07-2005 09:50 PM