Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Blackberry jelly

We just made three and a half pints of blackberry jelly from the church
garden. Came out pretty good too.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> We just made three and a half pints of blackberry jelly from the church
> garden. Came out pretty good too.

blackberry jelly or jam are both wonderful gifts
from Mother Nature.

we just thawed out the last of the strawberries i put
up last year for shortcakes. still good.

this year, depending upon the crop, we'll be freezing
a lot more pints of berries than a few. maybe i'll do
half freezer jam and half frozen berries.

looks like a nice crop of strawberry flowers out there
now. frost warnings for the past two nights have not
happened so that's good. a little bit of snow yesterday
but nothing serious.

time to get outside for a while, looked like it might
rain, but now perhaps it will miss us.

i see it looks like you're picking up some rains
there today.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/16/2016 11:43 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> We just made three and a half pints of blackberry jelly from the church
>> garden. Came out pretty good too.

> blackberry jelly or jam are both wonderful gifts
> from Mother Nature.

Very few of the berries we pick are Momma Nature's, most of those we get
are someone's berry farm. There are eight or ten of those around here
plus blueberry, fig, jujube, etc. They're not cheap either but they keep
the snakes out of the berry vines, that's a big help because my wife
still carries her "snake stick" at the farms. <G> We grew up picking
wild berries. The State of Texas does not mow the roadsides until the
berry season is over and citizens are allowed to pick all they want. I'm
thinking of buy a few domestic dewberry plants to put in along the back
fence. Those are favorite berries of all.

> we just thawed out the last of the strawberries i put
> up last year for shortcakes. still good.
>
> this year, depending upon the crop, we'll be freezing
> a lot more pints of berries than a few. maybe i'll do
> half freezer jam and half frozen berries.
>
> looks like a nice crop of strawberry flowers out there
> now. frost warnings for the past two nights have not
> happened so that's good. a little bit of snow yesterday
> but nothing serious.

Strawberries are the only berry I don't care for, maybe because I ate so
many when I was a kid.

> time to get outside for a while, looked like it might
> rain, but now perhaps it will miss us.
>
> i see it looks like you're picking up some rains
> there today.
>

> songbird

So far we've only gotten .88 inches for the last three days. At least
that's what my automated rain gauge tells me. More coming over the next
ten to fourteen days if the weather heads are telling the truth. I go by
how much my arthritic body sings.

Our water bill has gone down drastically since the rains have hit us.
Maybe we can buy more plants now. <G>

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 5/16/2016 11:43 AM, songbird wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> We just made three and a half pints of blackberry jelly from the church
>>> garden. Came out pretty good too.

>> blackberry jelly or jam are both wonderful gifts
>> from Mother Nature.

> Very few of the berries we pick are Momma Nature's, most of those we get
> are someone's berry farm. There are eight or ten of those around here
> plus blueberry, fig, jujube, etc. They're not cheap either but they keep
> the snakes out of the berry vines, that's a big help because my wife
> still carries her "snake stick" at the farms. <G> We grew up picking
> wild berries. The State of Texas does not mow the roadsides until the
> berry season is over and citizens are allowed to pick all they want. I'm
> thinking of buy a few domestic dewberry plants to put in along the back
> fence. Those are favorite berries of all.

when you pick some you could always save some of the
seeds and plant those around too.

>> we just thawed out the last of the strawberries i put
>> up last year for shortcakes. still good.
>>
>> this year, depending upon the crop, we'll be freezing
>> a lot more pints of berries than a few. maybe i'll do
>> half freezer jam and half frozen berries.
>>
>> looks like a nice crop of strawberry flowers out there
>> now. frost warnings for the past two nights have not
>> happened so that's good. a little bit of snow yesterday
>> but nothing serious.

> Strawberries are the only berry I don't care for, maybe because I ate so
> many when I was a kid.

arg! i don't care how many arrive, i can eat a lot
of them. as it turns out the forecast for last night
included frost warnings too and sure enough the third
time was the charm. i don't know how much it will
affect things... sun is out now and the frost will
be gone soon.

>> time to get outside for a while, looked like it might
>> rain, but now perhaps it will miss us.
>>
>> i see it looks like you're picking up some rains
>> there today.

> So far we've only gotten .88 inches for the last three days. At least
> that's what my automated rain gauge tells me. More coming over the next
> ten to fourteen days if the weather heads are telling the truth. I go by
> how much my arthritic body sings.
>
> Our water bill has gone down drastically since the rains have hit us.
> Maybe we can buy more plants now. <G>

hehe!

we've had about three inches over the past six days.
no rain in the forecast still. hope the frosts are
done. plenty of good gardening weather this week at
least. gotta get caught up.

songbird