Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default More blackberry jelly

The last of the blackberries are now jelly. Miz Anne put up another four
pints of jelly yesterday afternoon. So far she's put up about twelve
pints from picking the blackberries as they ripen.

Next thing will probably be the figs, they're about thumb sized already
and still growing. Looks to be a fairly good crop for a tree that is
only about four and a half feet tall.

We're harvesting good stuff out of the vegetable garden daily now. May
get more as it seems the heavy rains have finally stopped. The black
crowder peas are producing heavily but so far we have harvested about
two cups of peas. Sweet peppers are abundant and there are two trays of
chopped peppers in the freezer and I should be bagging them.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> The last of the blackberries are now jelly. Miz Anne put up another four
> pints of jelly yesterday afternoon. So far she's put up about twelve
> pints from picking the blackberries as they ripen.

i love blackberry seedless jam. i'm sure you
will enjoy every last bit of it.

> Next thing will probably be the figs, they're about thumb sized already
> and still growing. Looks to be a fairly good crop for a tree that is
> only about four and a half feet tall.

sunshine and plenty of rains will help. how long
do they take to reach full size?

> We're harvesting good stuff out of the vegetable garden daily now. May
> get more as it seems the heavy rains have finally stopped. The black
> crowder peas are producing heavily but so far we have harvested about
> two cups of peas. Sweet peppers are abundant and there are two trays of
> chopped peppers in the freezer and I should be bagging them.

nothing here to harvest other than strawberries,
green garlic or green onions.

the cucumbers had tiny cucumbers starting on them
when i planted them the other day. they grow fast.
we're going to be doing some dill pickles this year
so we've also planted some dill. if this season
is anything like last season for cucumbers we're
gonna be loaded and busy this summer. along with
21 tomato and everything else...

at least all the finicky planting is now done and
i can fill in the rest of the gardens with beans and
peas.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/9/2016 10:03 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> The last of the blackberries are now jelly. Miz Anne put up another four
>> pints of jelly yesterday afternoon. So far she's put up about twelve
>> pints from picking the blackberries as they ripen.

> i love blackberry seedless jam. i'm sure you
> will enjoy every last bit of it.

A good bit of it will go to the grands and great grands, they love it too.

>> Next thing will probably be the figs, they're about thumb sized already
>> and still growing. Looks to be a fairly good crop for a tree that is
>> only about four and a half feet tall.

> sunshine and plenty of rains will help. how long
> do they take to reach full size?

A few more months, they grow fairly slow plus we have to net them to
keep the !@#$ mockingbirds out of the tree.

>> We're harvesting good stuff out of the vegetable garden daily now. May
>> get more as it seems the heavy rains have finally stopped. The black
>> crowder peas are producing heavily but so far we have harvested about
>> two cups of peas. Sweet peppers are abundant and there are two trays of
>> chopped peppers in the freezer and I should be bagging them.

> nothing here to harvest other than strawberries,
> green garlic or green onions.

Miz Anne took a lot of cukes, peppers, etc. to the church pantry this
morning. We have tons of stuff in the freezer already and more coming
in. Our elder pepper bush is officially eighteen months old this week
and still producing heavily.

> the cucumbers had tiny cucumbers starting on them
> when i planted them the other day. they grow fast.
> we're going to be doing some dill pickles this year
> so we've also planted some dill. if this season
> is anything like last season for cucumbers we're
> gonna be loaded and busy this summer. along with
> 21 tomato and everything else...

We have jars and jars of various pickles going back a couple of years.
Evidently the kids aren't interested anymore so reckon we will be
cutting back on pickles this year. Most of the bumper crop of cukes will
probably be going to the church pantry for the poor.
> at least all the finicky planting is now done and
> i can fill in the rest of the gardens with beans and
> peas.
>

> songbird

The crowder peas are producing prolifically grand. My hopes are to can
several pints if we can get the things to ripen at the right time. Still
have fifteen pints of green beans from last years bumper crop, we eat
them at least twice a week and still aren't tired of them. Only two
quarts of homemade sauerkraut left in the pantry. I can only eat so much
of it but my lady with the German maiden name loves the stuff. No
cabbage planned for this fall.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We have jars and jars of various pickles going back a couple of years.
> Evidently the kids aren't interested anymore so reckon we will be
> cutting back on pickles this year. Most of the bumper crop of cukes will
> probably be going to the church pantry for the poor.

we made sweet (aka bread and butter) pickles last year
and i could eat a lot of those so i'm sure we'll be doing
more, but we also planted pickle cucumbers for doing dill
pickles (and some dill is growing too ).

> The crowder peas are producing prolifically grand. My hopes are to can
> several pints if we can get the things to ripen at the right time. Still
> have fifteen pints of green beans from last years bumper crop, we eat
> them at least twice a week and still aren't tired of them. Only two
> quarts of homemade sauerkraut left in the pantry. I can only eat so much
> of it but my lady with the German maiden name loves the stuff. No
> cabbage planned for this fall.

none here either. too many cabbage worms and i don't
want to bother with netting or spraying. the wasps did
help me out some when i did grow cabbage the one year but
not enough. a friend of ours makes saurkraut. we trade
for some of that. i could eat a lot more of it than
we do. usually with a chunk of pork loin and mashed
taters.

songbird