Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Question for all y'all

Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time
or interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear
out your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time
> or interest in canning them now?

no, i dislike frozen meat. i'd rather have it dried,
smoked, made into snausages or cooked up ASAP after
purchase.

> In the same light, would you clear
> out your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.

never. right now it's mostly full of strawberry
freezer jam, frozen strawberries for shortcakes,
frozen blueberries for muffins, breads and a few
quart jars of leftovers that Ma will probably never
eat. we just finished the spaghetti sauce/meatballs
(i can't eat the sauce any more but if i get most
of the sauce off the meatballs i can eat those).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2015 8:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time or
> interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear out
> your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.

I buy lots of meat from the "used meat bin" and then vacuum pack it and
put in the freezer. Caught my SIL just tossing the meat in the original
packing into his freezer and gave him the lecture on "ruining good
meat," the possibility of botulism, that he was an idiot. It worked
right well.

I never can anything that was frozen, do those "people" actually do sh
ah, stuff, like that? Wow! The world is full of idiots after all. Just
think that botulism may be cleansing the human race of stupidity.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-27 15:08:59 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 8/26/2015 8:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
>> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time or
>> interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear out
>> your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.

> I buy lots of meat from the "used meat bin" and then vacuum pack it and
> put in the freezer. Caught my SIL just tossing the meat in the original
> packing into his freezer and gave him the lecture on "ruining good
> meat," the possibility of botulism, that he was an idiot. It worked
> right well.
>
> I never can anything that was frozen, do those "people" actually do sh
> ah, stuff, like that? Wow! The world is full of idiots after all. Just
> think that botulism may be cleansing the human race of stupidity.

Where is botulism coming into play here, George? I don't see it as a
safety issue but rather one of quality, I guess.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/3/2015 6:17 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 15:08:59 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> On 8/26/2015 8:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
>>> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time or
>>> interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear out
>>> your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.

>> I buy lots of meat from the "used meat bin" and then vacuum pack it
>> and put in the freezer. Caught my SIL just tossing the meat in the
>> original packing into his freezer and gave him the lecture on "ruining
>> good meat," the possibility of botulism, that he was an idiot. It
>> worked right well.
>>
>> I never can anything that was frozen, do those "people" actually do sh
>> ah, stuff, like that? Wow! The world is full of idiots after all. Just
>> think that botulism may be cleansing the human race of stupidity.

> Where is botulism coming into play here, George? I don't see it as a
> safety issue but rather one of quality, I guess.

I would think that people who would do such things wouldn't be smart
enough to know when meat has gone "off." I've seen people scrape the
"green" off meat and mold off potatoes and then cook them. I didn't eat
any of it though.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-09-04 01:37:09 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 9/3/2015 6:17 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> I buy lots of meat from the "used meat bin" and then vacuum pack it
>>> and put in the freezer. Caught my SIL just tossing the meat in the
>>> original packing into his freezer and gave him the lecture on "ruining
>>> good meat," the possibility of botulism, that he was an idiot. It
>>> worked right well.
>>>
>>> I never can anything that was frozen, do those "people" actually do sh
>>> ah, stuff, like that? Wow! The world is full of idiots after all. Just
>>> think that botulism may be cleansing the human race of stupidity.

>> Where is botulism coming into play here, George? I don't see it as a
>> safety issue but rather one of quality, I guess.

> I would think that people who would do such things wouldn't be smart
> enough to know when meat has gone "off." I've seen people scrape the
> "green" off meat and mold off potatoes and then cook them. I didn't eat
> any of it though.

Yeah, you'd be AMAZED at what some people do because "that's the way my
momma taught me and the way her momma taught her." I don't get it.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/4/2015 6:32 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-09-04 01:37:09 +0000, George Shirley said:

>>> Where is botulism coming into play here, George? I don't see it as a
>>> safety issue but rather one of quality, I guess.

>> I would think that people who would do such things wouldn't be smart
>> enough to know when meat has gone "off." I've seen people scrape the
>> "green" off meat and mold off potatoes and then cook them. I didn't
>> eat any of it though.

> Yeah, you'd be AMAZED at what some people do because "that's the way my
> momma taught me and the way her momma taught her." I don't get it.

I use exactly TWO recipes my Mom made, Arkansas cornbread and chicken
and dumplings. I changed the chicken and dumpling recipe, Mom put skin
and bones in the pot, I take the skin and bones out. It tastes better to
us than hers did.

My folks grew up dirt poor, they grew their own food when ever possible,
hunted, trapped, fished and ate whatever went on the table. Don't ask
what's that, just eat it if you're hungry. They were "Middle Class" by
the time I came into the picture in 1939 and we kids ate a little better
than they did but we were still taught, if it's on your plate you gotta
eat it. I never liked raccoon, to sweet; possum had to be penned up and
purged for a week before cooking, rabbits, squirrels, even a snake or
two, were good eats. Now we don't have to go that route but I do miss
the wild game every once in awhile. Therefore I am going deer hunting in
November with my middle grandson and his two boys. Wish me luck.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wednesday, 26 August 2015 21:19:40 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time
> or interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear
> out your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.
> Barb
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Here's a piece on canning your freezer: http://www.healthycanning.com/can-your-freezer/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/4/2015 11:00 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 August 2015 21:19:40 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
>> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time
>> or interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear
>> out your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.
>> --
>> --
>> Barb
>> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

> Here's a piece on canning your freezer: http://www.healthycanning.com/can-your-freezer/

See your name is all over that web site. Personally I freeze a lot of
garden produce and meats but they're all in vacuum bags and last a long
time until needed. I see no need in taking something out of the freezer
to can and just to make more room. I don't have a problem with canning
your freezer if that's what you want to do but seems, to me, that it's
redundant.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Saturday, 5 September 2015 09:57:41 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> On 9/4/2015 11:00 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 26 August 2015 21:19:40 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >> Would you load up on bargains at the stupormarket (e.g., beef, chicken,
> >> pork) and throw them into the freezer because you don't have the time
> >> or interest in canning them now? In the same light, would you clear
> >> out your freezer and can what's been frozen? Vegetables. Meat.
> >> --
> >> --
> >> Barb
> >> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

> > Here's a piece on canning your freezer: http://www.healthycanning.com/can-your-freezer/
> >

> See your name is all over that web site. Personally I freeze a lot of
> garden produce and meats but they're all in vacuum bags and last a long
> time until needed. I see no need in taking something out of the freezer
> to can and just to make more room. I don't have a problem with canning
> your freezer if that's what you want to do but seems, to me, that it's
> redundant.

It's great that there's a choice for many things. Obviously with some stuff like broccoli, cauliflower, etc, there isn't unless you want to pickle them though once they've been frozen forget it. Sometimes I will freeze stuff until I get enough of it to do a canner run. Like some meats for instance; keep freezing enough ground beef on manager's special sale until I've got enough for a canner run of chili.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Saturday, 5 September 2015 23:38:07 UTC-4, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 September 2015 09:57:41 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's a piece on canning your freezer: http://www.healthycanning.com/can-your-freezer/
> > >

> > See your name is all over that web site. Personally I freeze a lot of
> > garden produce and meats but they're all in vacuum bags and last a long
> > time until needed. I see no need in taking something out of the freezer
> > to can and just to make more room. I don't have a problem with canning
> > your freezer if that's what you want to do but seems, to me, that it's
> > redundant.

> It's great that there's a choice for many things. Obviously with some stuff like broccoli, cauliflower, etc, there isn't unless you want to pickle them though once they've been frozen forget it. Sometimes I will freeze stuff until I get enough of it to do a canner run. Like some meats for instance; keep freezing enough ground beef on manager's special sale until I've got enough for a canner run of chili.

Got 8 lbs of extra lean ground beef today for 20 bucks, "reduced for quick sale." It went straight into the freezer until I have time to do a canner run of the USDA chili; right now all time is taken up by processing and canning 150 lbs of tomatoes. I also use the freezer to store up fruit until I have time to can it or make jams from it. Still got strawberries, blueberries and cherries in there for some jams I want to try, and can.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/3/2015 8:37 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> I would think that people who would do such things wouldn't be smart
> enough to know when meat has gone "off." I've seen people scrape the
> "green" off meat and mold off potatoes and then cook them. I didn't
> eat any of it though.

James Beard wrote nostalgically about that in one of his books. His
mom would get a beef roast from the butcher, then age it till it grew
green mold, which she'd scrape off before roasting.

Me, no thanks. Not even if James Beard thought it made for a good roast.