Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default More shredded zucchini

Picked five more zukes this morning, one of which was huge, had another
huge one on the counter so I shredded both. Ended up with eight cups of
shredded zucchini in vacuum bags. Good for zucchini bread or fritters or
casseroles. Goes good with the many other bags we've gotten this past month.

The other four we picked will go to Miz Anne's church prayer group plus
some yellow squash.

Picked some huge tomatoes but they will be turned into BLT's, burgers,
etc. for the coming days, not to mention plain old lettuce, tomato, and
mayo sandwiches on zucchini bread. <G>

No green beans to pick and can so far, last picking cleaned them out but
the vines are blooming again. Looks like the crowder peas are putting
out runners so not long before peas are ready to pick, same with the red
lima beans.

Tomorrow we will cut herbs, oregano, basil, rosemary, dill weed, etc.
and then dehydrate them for future use.

If it stops raining we will go out to the U pick farm nearby and pick
blueberries and, very soon, blackberries. Figs and pears will be a month
away for figs and two or three for pears. I'm not sure how much rain
we've gotten over the last month but a foot of rain fell on Houston in
one day early this week, lots of flooding in the region and a number of
folks drowned or lost their home or both. We got about a foot here but
not all at once, over a three-week period if I remember correctly. Thank
goodness we are a few feet higher than Houston and the property was
built up five feet before homes were erected. Didn't help the highways
and byways though, lots of water over the roads so we stayed home mostly.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Picked five more zukes this morning, one of which was huge, had another
> huge one on the counter so I shredded both. Ended up with eight cups of
> shredded zucchini in vacuum bags. Good for zucchini bread or fritters or
> casseroles. Goes good with the many other bags we've gotten this past month.
>
> The other four we picked will go to Miz Anne's church prayer group plus
> some yellow squash.

i have cut them up and eaten them uncooked with a
good dip, kinda like a wimpy cucumber.

> Picked some huge tomatoes but they will be turned into BLT's, burgers,
> etc. for the coming days, not to mention plain old lettuce, tomato, and
> mayo sandwiches on zucchini bread. <G>
>
> No green beans to pick and can so far, last picking cleaned them out but
> the vines are blooming again. Looks like the crowder peas are putting
> out runners so not long before peas are ready to pick, same with the red
> lima beans.
>
> Tomorrow we will cut herbs, oregano, basil, rosemary, dill weed, etc.
> and then dehydrate them for future use.
>
> If it stops raining we will go out to the U pick farm nearby and pick
> blueberries and, very soon, blackberries. Figs and pears will be a month
> away for figs and two or three for pears. I'm not sure how much rain
> we've gotten over the last month but a foot of rain fell on Houston in
> one day early this week, lots of flooding in the region and a number of
> folks drowned or lost their home or both. We got about a foot here but
> not all at once, over a three-week period if I remember correctly. Thank
> goodness we are a few feet higher than Houston and the property was
> built up five feet before homes were erected. Didn't help the highways
> and byways though, lots of water over the roads so we stayed home mostly.

yeah, it's my general rule too for when the weather gets
bad. if i don't have to go out then it's a good time to
read a book or do some project.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/28/2015 4:06 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Picked five more zukes this morning, one of which was huge, had another
>> huge one on the counter so I shredded both. Ended up with eight cups of
>> shredded zucchini in vacuum bags. Good for zucchini bread or fritters or
>> casseroles. Goes good with the many other bags we've gotten this past month.
>>
>> The other four we picked will go to Miz Anne's church prayer group plus
>> some yellow squash.

> i have cut them up and eaten them uncooked with a
> good dip, kinda like a wimpy cucumber.

Tried that and didn't care for it. We have plenty of non-gardening
friends who like to get "free" produce that they know exactly where it
comes from. Plus we have lots of cucumbers coming in and are sharing
those too as I have a canning pantry full of various types of pickles.
The dilly beans and dilly carrots are two of my favorites.

>> Picked some huge tomatoes but they will be turned into BLT's, burgers,
>> etc. for the coming days, not to mention plain old lettuce, tomato, and
>> mayo sandwiches on zucchini bread. <G>
>>
>> No green beans to pick and can so far, last picking cleaned them out but
>> the vines are blooming again. Looks like the crowder peas are putting
>> out runners so not long before peas are ready to pick, same with the red
>> lima beans.
>>
>> Tomorrow we will cut herbs, oregano, basil, rosemary, dill weed, etc.
>> and then dehydrate them for future use.
>>
>> If it stops raining we will go out to the U pick farm nearby and pick
>> blueberries and, very soon, blackberries. Figs and pears will be a month
>> away for figs and two or three for pears. I'm not sure how much rain
>> we've gotten over the last month but a foot of rain fell on Houston in
>> one day early this week, lots of flooding in the region and a number of
>> folks drowned or lost their home or both. We got about a foot here but
>> not all at once, over a three-week period if I remember correctly. Thank
>> goodness we are a few feet higher than Houston and the property was
>> built up five feet before homes were erected. Didn't help the highways
>> and byways though, lots of water over the roads so we stayed home mostly.

> yeah, it's my general rule too for when the weather gets
> bad. if i don't have to go out then it's a good time to
> read a book or do some project.
>

> songbird

Weather doesn't stop me from reading, I'm re-reading some David Weber
novels now. It's clouding up again so we covered everything up.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Weather doesn't stop me from reading, I'm re-reading some David Weber
> novels now. It's clouding up again so we covered everything up.

i notice today looks a bit like rain, but not as
strong as what has been going through there before.

the Honor series? i'd read that many years ago and
it was great fun. the past few days i've been reading
e-books that i can checkout through the library site.
i'm not all that fond of them, but it's better than
nothing. after a science fiction book and a fantasy
book, i've decided i should finally read _Lord of the
Flies_ as i'd started it many years ago and never got
far with it.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/29/2015 9:06 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Weather doesn't stop me from reading, I'm re-reading some David Weber
>> novels now. It's clouding up again so we covered everything up.

> i notice today looks a bit like rain, but not as
> strong as what has been going through there before.
>
> the Honor series? i'd read that many years ago and
> it was great fun. the past few days i've been reading
> e-books that i can checkout through the library site.
> i'm not all that fond of them, but it's better than
> nothing. after a science fiction book and a fantasy
> book, i've decided i should finally read _Lord of the
> Flies_ as i'd started it many years ago and never got
> far with it.
>

> songbird

Yeah, Weber's "Honorverse." I am rereading pretty much all his novels. I
like his stories and those of many of the science fiction writers. I
read Lord of the Flies years ago and wasn't very impressed with the book
or the movie. I really prefer military science fiction to most others.
Started reading science fiction at about age eight and haven't stopped
yet. My mother thought I was going to be a pervert because I read that
"trash." I had already read the entire Collier's Encyclopedia and she
thought that was strange too. My elder sisters taught me to read before
I was five years old, they were 9 and 13 years older than me and thought
it was fun.

With bad legs, partially paralyzed body and multiple heart attacks
reading is about all the exercise I get. <G>

Rain has moved on for awhile but we're worrying about our son and his
family as they live over close to Lake Houston and the lake above that
one is releasing over 800,000 gallons of water an hour to keep the dam
from failing and/or flooding the houses around the lake. Time to empty
the rain gauge again, it only holds six inches total and it has run over
three times in the month now ending. The giant zucchini are getting
bigger every time it rains and it's time to pick green beans again. The
kitchen cabinet is covered with nearly ripe tomatoes that were about to
fall off the vine. One is as big as a softball, the others are just
baseball size. Probably going to taste like water.

SHREDDED CHEESE werwiniskp General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 12:42 PM
Zucchini tribute: my recipe with many many pics [was Zucchini?] Pandora General Cooking 7 26-07-2007 01:09 PM
Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 33 04-08-2006 04:11 AM
Shredded Pork Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-01-2006 02:02 PM
Shredded Chicken Matt B. Mexican Cooking 3 19-10-2003 05:28 PM