Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default New stove

The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
over the stove, that will really help.

We have totally gotten rid of the the seven year old builder's
appliances in the last two weeks. New stove, dishwasher, and soon, the
new range hood to replace that over the stove microwave. We got a new
refrigerator too, our old one was almost twenty years old and on the
small size. The new one also has an ice maker so we're happy with that.

We also got another surprise, a friend of long standing stopped by this
morning and gave us twenty pint fruit jars, he had been cleaning out his
Mom's house and ran up on them. Friends like that you keep.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/12/2013 5:24 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
> Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
> have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
> I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
> over the stove, that will really help.
>
> We have totally gotten rid of the the seven year old builder's
> appliances in the last two weeks. New stove, dishwasher, and soon, the
> new range hood to replace that over the stove microwave. We got a new
> refrigerator too, our old one was almost twenty years old and on the
> small size. The new one also has an ice maker so we're happy with that.
>
> We also got another surprise, a friend of long standing stopped by this
> morning and gave us twenty pint fruit jars, he had been cleaning out his
> Mom's house and ran up on them. Friends like that you keep.
>
> George

Yay! Sounds like you are Living la Vida Loca in your new home.
Great news about the jars, too.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
> Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
> have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
> I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
> over the stove, that will really help.

why not put a long hose extension on the
sink sprayer?

> We have totally gotten rid of the the seven year old builder's
> appliances in the last two weeks. New stove, dishwasher, and soon, the
> new range hood to replace that over the stove microwave. We got a new
> refrigerator too, our old one was almost twenty years old and on the
> small size. The new one also has an ice maker so we're happy with that.

we're due for a new refrigerator too, but it
will be a challenge to find one that Ma will
tolerate. she's very picky...

congrats on all the new toys, i hope you enjoy
them and they are what you expect.

> We also got another surprise, a friend of long standing stopped by this
> morning and gave us twenty pint fruit jars, he had been cleaning out his
> Mom's house and ran up on them. Friends like that you keep.

yeah! we usually return goodies in some
of the jars to people like that.

buying new hasn't been too bad lately on price.
i think our last round of cases ran about $8-9 per
case for qt jars. we'll have to stock up again as
we're almost out and have a few dozen quarts of
beets to put up.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:24:46 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
>Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
>have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
>I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
>over the stove, that will really help.

I once dreamed about one of those but decided against it when I
realized I would have to take it back to the sink to empty it. Ideal
would be a wall mounted faucet, a canning kettle with a drain at the
bottom and a bar sink next to the stove. If I were designing a
canning kitchen that is what I would want.

>We have totally gotten rid of the the seven year old builder's
>appliances in the last two weeks. New stove, dishwasher, and soon, the
>new range hood to replace that over the stove microwave. We got a new
>refrigerator too, our old one was almost twenty years old and on the
>small size. The new one also has an ice maker so we're happy with that.

Shortly after we moved here the first thing we replaced was the
dishwasher. I could hear it from the other end of the house and I
could not get pots and pans in. The next thing was the stove. Just
didn't like it. We brought our refrigerator with us. Just replaced
it about a year ago.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
> Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
> have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
> I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
> over the stove, that will really help.
>
> We have totally gotten rid of the the seven year old builder's
> appliances in the last two weeks. New stove, dishwasher, and soon, the
> new range hood to replace that over the stove microwave. We got a new
> refrigerator too, our old one was almost twenty years old and on the
> small size. The new one also has an ice maker so we're happy with that.
>
> We also got another surprise, a friend of long standing stopped by this
> morning and gave us twenty pint fruit jars, he had been cleaning out his
> Mom's house and ran up on them. Friends like that you keep.
>
> George

Mazel tov!

I like my new (gas) stove for cooking but I wish I had electric back for
baking.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:24:46 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
> >The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
> >Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
> >have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
> >I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
> >over the stove, that will really help.

> I once dreamed about one of those but decided against it when I
> realized I would have to take it back to the sink to empty it. Ideal
> would be a wall mounted faucet, a canning kettle with a drain at the
> bottom and a bar sink next to the stove. If I were designing a
> canning kitchen that is what I would want.

(Jorge snipped)
> Shortly after we moved here the first thing we replaced was the
> dishwasher. I could hear it from the other end of the house and I
> could not get pots and pans in. The next thing was the stove. Just
> didn't like it. We brought our refrigerator with us. Just replaced
> it about a year ago.

What! You people don't use a one-quart (or larger) saucepan to either
do the final filling or initial emptying of the canning water? I can't
believe I'm the first person to do this.

My fridge and dishwasher are both no more than 2 years old so we didn't
replace them in the remodel. I think I'd think three times before
getting another 'french door' fridge with the full width drawer for
"party platters." That drawer takes up too much useful shelf space.

I'll never have another fridge without a bottom freezer, though. :-)

My Maytag dishwasher is quieter now than it was before it was removed
for the remodeling. Don't know if the insulation is better placed or of
the surrounding materials (quartz, wood) suppress the noise but I don't
hear it running. Or maybe it's my hearing getting bad. . . . ;-)
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
songbird > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
> > The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
> > Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
> > have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
> > I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
> > over the stove, that will really help.

> why not put a long hose extension on the
> sink sprayer?

Oh, Lord, bird! I can see the tangle and twist and can hear the
muttering. <grin>

> we're due for a new refrigerator too, but it
> will be a challenge to find one that Ma will
> tolerate. she's very picky...

Smart Ma! When I replaced my 20 year old unit with a new one some years
back, the same cubic footage, I didn't realize that the industry
standard for the ratio of freezer:chiller space had changed. The
replacement had less chiller space and more freezer space (look at how
much space is devoted to frozen products in a supermarket). That fact
escaped me until it was delivered. I hadn't noticed because the size of
the freezer space was not of concern to me due to a deep freeze in the
basement. I lived with it for 3 years and then donated it to a church
house.

> buying new hasn't been too bad lately on price.
> i think our last round of cases ran about $8-9 per
> case for qt jars. we'll have to stock up again as
> we're almost out and have a few dozen quarts of
> beets to put up.

Beets, huh? Better you than me, bird. I picked up half pint jars for
$6.50 plus tax at a Fleet Farm sale a few weeks ago. Haven't seen them
that cheap in a long time -- $6.99 has been the going sale price -- a
buck off the regular.

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/23/2013 7:14 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:24:46 -0500, George Shirley >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
>>> Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
>>> have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
>>> I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
>>> over the stove, that will really help.

> What! You people don't use a one-quart (or larger) saucepan to either
> do the final filling or initial emptying of the canning water? I can't
> believe I'm the first person to do this.

I've always done the saucepan thing because I'm too short to hoist a
full canning kettle onto the stovetop.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:14:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> I'll never have another fridge without a bottom freezer, though. :-)

We bought a fridge with *no* freezer, after realizing that the deep
freeze is now on the same floor as the kitchen.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> > The new gas stove was delivered today and Miz Anne and I installed it.
>> > Whirlpool, has a two grates that cover the entire top so we no longer
>> > have to pick up canning kettles to move them around. One of these days
>> > I'm going to get one of those swivel, long reach faucets in the wall
>> > over the stove, that will really help.

>> why not put a long hose extension on the
>> sink sprayer?

> Oh, Lord, bird! I can see the tangle and twist and can hear the
> muttering. <grin>

*grins* well... it would get the job done, just put
it on one of those retractable spring loaded roller
thingies...

>> we're due for a new refrigerator too, but it
>> will be a challenge to find one that Ma will
>> tolerate. she's very picky...

> Smart Ma!

she hates anything with handles and it has to
be white and ...

> When I replaced my 20 year old unit with a new one some years
> back, the same cubic footage, I didn't realize that the industry
> standard for the ratio of freezer:chiller space had changed. The
> replacement had less chiller space and more freezer space (look at how
> much space is devoted to frozen products in a supermarket). That fact
> escaped me until it was delivered. I hadn't noticed because the size of
> the freezer space was not of concern to me due to a deep freeze in the
> basement. I lived with it for 3 years and then donated it to a church
> house.

we'd be in trouble with less cool space and our
freezer is always fairly full so that would be ok,
but i'd hear grumbles with the lack of cool space.

>> buying new hasn't been too bad lately on price.
>> i think our last round of cases ran about $8-9 per
>> case for qt jars. we'll have to stock up again as
>> we're almost out and have a few dozen quarts of
>> beets to put up.

> Beets, huh? Better you than me, bird.

not me as much this year, i'm still recovering
from crud, but i assist from time to time as
needed.

> I picked up half pint jars for
> $6.50 plus tax at a Fleet Farm sale a few weeks ago. Haven't seen them
> that cheap in a long time -- $6.99 has been the going sale price -- a
> buck off the regular.

that's reasonable compared to some places where i've
seen them going for $12-14/case. the sale price lately
around here has been about $7.

we did well earlier in the year when a friend
cleaned out her cellar and gave us four cases of
jars to use. those went too quickly.

songbird

Stove to go koko General Cooking 9 25-04-2009 10:58 PM
got a new used stove :) Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 4 25-01-2007 05:41 AM
New Stove Dave Smith General Cooking 2 25-10-2006 12:47 AM
On the stove biig General Cooking 8 06-03-2006 08:58 PM
Changing from an electric stove to a gas stove sue General Cooking 17 02-08-2004 10:26 PM