Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Getting started

Today we planted a Celeste fig tree and four different varieties of high
bush blueberries in our backyard. Good thing we were prepared to mix up
some decent soil. Turns out our whole backyard is nothing but a mix of
clay and sand, in other words, fill dirt. Most likely to meet the 500
year flood plain rules.

We mixed up some cow manure composted with pine bark and peat moss to
fill in around the blueberries and, to a certain extent, the fig tree.
With the fig we mixed up a lot of the fill dirt with some composted cow
manure and just a little bit of peat moss. The clay will likely hold
water like a steel pot so we will have to watch that our plants don't drown.

Next step is to build a four by sixteen foot raised bed garden, for
which we will mix up a soil recommended by the original Square Foot
Gardener. We will also have a four by four foot raised bed off to one
side for me to raise culinary herbs in.

We are forgoing any other fruit trees at the moment but will eventually
put in a kumquat and maybe a three-in-one pear tree. Debating whether to
rip out the six-year old live oak in the front yard and replace it with
a fruit tree or not. Not a lot you can do with such a small lot. We are
looking forward to replacing the front hedge and low plantings with
something like Mexican bush cherry, which grows about four or five feet
high and then planting Rainbow chard at the foot of that. Most folks
won't know that the bush cherry actually grows edible cherries and that
chard is actually a well-liked green.

We're slowly getting this place into the order we want and still have
lots of boxes to unpack. Finding a place to put stuff is a problem,
either that or we just have to much stuff. We have a couple of big boxes
that are going soon to our church charity building. Someone else may
have more use for somethings than we do.

Luckily we have enough canned and frozen vegetables to carry us for a
year, not to mention beau coup jams, jellies, and marmalades.

We hope all are staying warm in the Southern Canada area of the US of A
and also the other places that are cold now. Temps hit 78F here
yesterday and today and probably tomorrow. Tilly Dawg laid in a sunbeam
and snored while we were working and then got busy chasing some birds
away that were sitting on the fence watching. Rascals were probably
hoping we would put a seed in the ground that they could eat.

George, Miz Anne, and Tilly Dawg
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We hope all are staying warm in the Southern Canada area of the US of A
> and also the other places that are cold now. Temps hit 78F here
> yesterday and today and probably tomorrow. Tilly Dawg laid in a sunbeam
> and snored while we were working and then got busy chasing some birds
> away that were sitting on the fence watching. Rascals were probably
> hoping we would put a seed in the ground that they could eat.

much to be inspired by in there George!

i think the blueberries are ok with wet
roots sometimes. or at least the smaller
versions seem to grow in bogs around here.
any new mulch should be sure to include some
acidic content.

fig trees, don't have any experience, but
if they like dryer roots you could mound the
soil. that is what we do here for plants that
need dryer roots than what the clay and high
water table provide.

i'd replace the treee out front ASAP. why
waste time? might set it back further from
the house, walks and driveway if the location
of the oak was closer. birds, dropping blooms
and fruit fall all make enough mess to make it
worth siting trees a little further away. less
mess on the car, house, and walk that ways.

always something to keep busy that is for sure.
a good snore in the sun is well worth it.

plenty of cold here, but it went from snow
last night to rain this morning. i think we're
in for a bit of a thaw for a day or two. i'll
let the rain melt the snow and then see what is
left to shovel...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Am glad you are getting a start on your trres and bushes George...too
bad you have fill dirt in the yard ...more work for you to prepare for
your garden....don't do too much at once and injure yourself...Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

how's it coming along George?

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

download download Scary Movie 5, 'Scary Movie 5 The Full Film In Hd'
(http://en.netlog.com/rafegerman/blog/blogid=26998323), whole Scary
Movie 5 movie online, The Scary Movie 5 Movie.
download legal divx Pacific Rim movie, 'Pacific Rim film in english to
download' (http://en.netlog.com/wickbruno/blog/blogid=26987408), Pacific
Rim Film Direct Download, the whole Pacific Rim movie online.
buy movie Grown Ups 2 pda, 'Download Movie Grown Ups 2 online'
(http://en.netlog.com/augustjamieson/...ogid=26987783), Grown Ups 2
film website, download Fast Grown Ups 2 film legal.
Download Fruitvale Station Movie HDRip, 'Buy Fruitvale Station Movie
Download'
(http://en.netlog.com/re_z_v_a_ni_t_a...ogid=26989062),
Fruitvale Station Movie To Buy, Fruitvale Station Movie Download.

--
RassuDaste
RassuDaste's Profile: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/member.php?userid=45361