Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default I didn't realize how much pectin is in a lemon

I found a medium-sized lemon in the fridge that was past its prime and
kind of dried out, and I decided to make some sour lemon syrup with it.
I put it in the blender and chopped it up fine, then added 2 cups of
water and liquefied it.

I poured it in a saucepan and added a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of
citric acid and simmered it for a while. Tasted it and it wasn't quite
right. I added some whole allspice, another teaspoon of citric acid,
and another 1/2 cup of sugar, and cooked it covered for a half hour.

Then I strained it into a 1.5 pint spaghetti sauce jar, and the lemony
bits in the strainer looked like jelly rather than lemon peel so I
mashed most of them thru the wire strainer into the jar and stirred it
up. That was a couple of hours ago.

I just checked on it, and even though it's still warm, it has already
set into a stiff cloudy jelly -- and it doesn't even have as much sugar
as normal jelly. (More sugar would make it set stiffer.) I'm not sure
what to do with it; this was supposed to be sour mix.

I may add some cornstarch and recook it to make something like Turkish
Delight candy.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/20/2012 11:52 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> I found a medium-sized lemon in the fridge that was past its prime and
> kind of dried out, and I decided to make some sour lemon syrup with it.
> I put it in the blender and chopped it up fine, then added 2 cups of
> water and liquefied it.
>
> I poured it in a saucepan and added a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of
> citric acid and simmered it for a while. Tasted it and it wasn't quite
> right. I added some whole allspice, another teaspoon of citric cid,
> and another 1/2 cup of sugar, and cooked it covered for a half hour.
>
> Then I strained it into a 1.5 pint spaghetti sauce jar, and the lemony
> bits in the strainer looked like jelly rather than lemon peel so I
> mashed most of them thru the wire strainer into the jar and stirred it
> up. That was a couple of hours ago.
>
> I just checked on it, and even though it's still warm, it has already
> set into a stiff cloudy jelly -- and it doesn't even have as much sugar
> as normal jelly. (More sugar would make it set stiffer.) I'm not sure
> what to do with it; this was supposed to be sour mix.
>
> I may add some cornstarch and recook it to make something like Turkish
> Delight candy.
>
> -Bob

If you added a couple of eggs and a bit of butter and heated well it in
a double boiler, wouldn't you have lemon curd?

gloria p