Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Things You Don't Realize Until You Have No Teeth:

1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
(except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

t'other half has just come back from dentist with €4000 of new implants
and is wanting real meat tomorrow !

Steve

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
> (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
> (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . .

3 - you will finally understand why babies spit out that jarred baby
food glop rightbackatcha

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:43:47 +0200:

> Steve

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
>> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw
>> vegetables (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -

>t'other half has just come back from dentist with €4000 of new implants
>and is wanting real meat tomorrow !

It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I needed
extra bone grown for upper molars on both sides and that did add
substantially to the price.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 3:43*pm, Steve Y > wrote:
> t'other half has just come back from dentist with €4000 of new implants
> and is wanting real meat tomorrow !
>
> Steve
>

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> > 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> > 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
> > (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . *3 -- Hide quoted text -

Warning: they may not feel like chewing quite so soon!

Kris, who has one implant

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Steve wrote on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:43:47 +0200:
>
>> Steve

>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>>> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
>>> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw
>>> vegetables (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -

>>t'other half has just come back from dentist with €4000 of new implants
>>and is wanting real meat tomorrow !

> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I needed extra
> bone grown for upper molars on both sides and that did add substantially
> to the price.

I don't know about "grown"; when my brother had his teeth implants done (he
had all of his teeth replaced) they used cadaver bones. Just the thought of
it made me cringe.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:40:42 -0400, "jmcquown" > wrote:

-->"James Silverton" > wrote in message
-->> Steve wrote on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:43:47 +0200:
-->>
-->>> Steve
-->>
-->>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
-->>>> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
-->>>> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw
-->>>> vegetables (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -
-->>
-->>>t'other half has just come back from dentist with €4000 of new implants
-->>>and is wanting real meat tomorrow !
-->>
-->> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I needed extra
-->> bone grown for upper molars on both sides and that did add substantially
-->> to the price.
-->>
-->>
-->
-->I don't know about "grown"; when my brother had his teeth implants done (he
-->had all of his teeth replaced) they used cadaver bones. Just the thought of
-->it made me cringe.
-->
-->Jill

that's common practice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ffu" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:40:42 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> -->"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> -->> Steve wrote on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:43:47 +0200:
> -->>
> -->>> Steve
> -->>
> -->>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> -->>>> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> -->>>> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw
> -->>>> vegetables (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -
> -->>
> -->>>t'other half has just come back from dentist with ?4000 of new
> implants
> -->>>and is wanting real meat tomorrow !
> -->>
> -->> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I needed
> extra
> -->> bone grown for upper molars on both sides and that did add
> substantially
> -->> to the price.
> -->>
> -->>
> -->
> -->I don't know about "grown"; when my brother had his teeth implants done
> (he
> -->had all of his teeth replaced) they used cadaver bones. Just the
> thought of
> -->it made me cringe.
> -->
> -->Jill
>
> that's common practice

I'm sure it is. Just don't tell your date before you go to kiss her!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote:>
> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I needed extra
> bone grown for upper molars on both sides and that did add substantially
> to the price.
>

> --

Good heavens! How do they do that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:56:27 -0400:

> "ffu" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:40:42 -0400, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> -->"James Silverton" > wrote in
>> message ... --

>> Steve -->> -->>> Lynn from Fargo wrote: -->>>> 1 - It's one way to
>> stop biting your fingernails. -->>>> 2 - you will really miss:
>> nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw -->>>> vegetables (except
>> cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 - -->> -->>>t'other half
>> has just come back from dentist with ?4000 of new
>> implants -->>>and is wanting real meat tomorrow ! -->> -->>
>> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I
>> needed extra -->> bone grown for upper molars on both sides
>> and that did add substantially -->> to the
>> price. -->> -->> --> -->I don't know about "grown"; when my
>> brother had his teeth implants done (he -->had all of his
>> teeth replaced) they used cadaver bones. Just the thought of
>> -->it made me cringe.
>> -->
>> -->Jill
>>
>> that's common practice

> I'm sure it is. Just don't tell your date before you go to
> kiss her!

So what? The bone was sterilized but perhaps the current fashion for
bone grafts instead is a reflection of that revulsion.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to jmcquown on Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:50:32 -0400:

>> "ffu" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:40:42 -0400, "jmcquown"
>>>
>>> -->"James Silverton" > wrote
>>> in message
>>> ... --
>>> Steve -->> -->>> Lynn from Fargo wrote: -->>>> 1 - It's one way
>>> to stop biting your fingernails. -->>>> 2 - you will really miss:
>>> nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw -->>>> vegetables
>>> (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 - -->>
>>> -->>>t'other half has just come back from dentist with ?4000
>>> of new implants -->>>and is wanting real meat tomorrow !
>>> -->> -->> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot
>>> cheaper but I needed extra -->> bone grown for upper molars on both
>>> sides and that did add substantially -->> to
>>> the price. -->> -->> --> -->I don't know about "grown"; when
>>> my brother had his teeth implants done (he -->had all of his
>>> teeth replaced) they used cadaver bones. Just the thought
>>> of -->it made me cringe. --> -->Jill
>>>
>>> that's common practice

>> I'm sure it is. Just don't tell your date before you go to
>> kiss her!

> So what? The bone was sterilized but perhaps the current
> fashion for bone grafts instead is a reflection of that
> revulsion.

I might add that cadaver bone was used as a scaffold on which o grow
your own bone using platelets extracted from your own blood. Disgusting
ain't it? And, distinctly tedious.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote on Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:56:27 -0400:
>
>> "ffu" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:40:42 -0400, "jmcquown"
>>>
>>> -->"James Silverton" > wrote in
>>> message ... --
>>> Steve -->> -->>> Lynn from Fargo wrote: -->>>> 1 - It's one way to
>>> stop biting your fingernails. -->>>> 2 - you will really miss:
>>> nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw -->>>> vegetables (except
>>> cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 - -->> -->>>t'other half
>>> has just come back from dentist with ?4000 of new
>>> implants -->>>and is wanting real meat tomorrow ! -->> -->>
>>> It looks like European dentistry might be a lot cheaper but I
>>> needed extra -->> bone grown for upper molars on both sides
>>> and that did add substantially -->> to the
>>> price. -->> -->> --> -->I don't know about "grown"; when my
>>> brother had his teeth implants done (he -->had all of his
>>> teeth replaced) they used cadaver bones. Just the thought of
>>> -->it made me cringe.
>>> -->
>>> -->Jill
>>>
>>> that's common practice

>> I'm sure it is. Just don't tell your date before you go to
>> kiss her!

> So what? The bone was sterilized but perhaps the current fashion for bone
> grafts instead is a reflection of that revulsion.
>
> --

Sheesh, doesn't anyone have a sense of humour anymore?!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.

And your toenails. :-)

> 2 - you will really miss: nuts,

Some people like nut butters (peanut butter, cashew butter, almond
butter, etc). There was a discussion on this group recently about
making your own, as I remember. It didn't interest me, so I don't
remember if you have to buy a dedicated nut grinder (I know they sell
them), or you can use your blender, or it's easier to just buy them.

> popcorn,

No suggestion here other than popcorn Jelly Bellies, which might
dissolve in your mouth if sucked on enough.

> corn chips,

If you are talking about tortilla chips, my kids make tortilla soup.
You put the solid ingredients in a bowl and then add hot chicken broth.
We always eat it with freshly fried and crispy tortilla chips, but it
might be worth trying with soggy chips. You would get the flavor but
not the texture. Cut the shredded chicken finely, roast the peppers
well (or use canned). The avocado should be fine as is.

> raw vegetables

Chop up whatever raw vegetables you want. Put in a blender with some
liquid. You will get the raw vegetable flavor.

> (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -

Easier but less tasty would be to buy cans of V8 juice and drink cold or
hot.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>
> > 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> > 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
> > (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . .

> 3 - you will finally understand why babies spit out that jarred baby
> food glop rightbackatcha
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Got that right. Took a volunteer postion at a paediatric hospital while
considering medical school options. One duty was feeding the sprogs (on
normal diet) jarred commercial baby food. Second time I did that, pinned
a very large bath towel to my front. Most of that food came back out
faster than it went in LOL. Stupidly bought some anyway when having the
first pair of wisdom teeth out. Also spit that out as fast as it went
in! How do people expect babies to eat that nasty stuff??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:

> t'other half has just come back from dentist with €4000 of new implants
> and is wanting real meat tomorrow !
>
> Steve

For how many teeth? Wife of a friend is currently receiving dental
implants in the UK. Something like 2200 euros per tooth, for extraction
and implant.

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> > 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> > 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
> > (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:rBTpm.21975$ec2.17133
@newsfe13.iad:

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>
>> 1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
>> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
>> (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . .

> 3 - you will finally understand why babies spit out that jarred baby
> food glop rightbackatcha

ROFL!!!!

The mental image of an adult doing that is *gross*!!

It'd probaly resemble a bulldog eating custard!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> 3 - you will finally understand why babies spit out that jarred baby
>> food glop rightbackatcha

> Got that right. Took a volunteer postion at a paediatric hospital
> while considering medical school options. One duty was feeding the
> sprogs (on normal diet) jarred commercial baby food. Second time I did
> that, pinned a very large bath towel to my front. Most of that food
> came back out faster than it went in LOL. Stupidly bought some anyway
> when having the first pair of wisdom teeth out. Also spit that out as
> fast as it went in! How do people expect babies to eat that nasty
> stuff??

I dunno. It must be some of the worst tasting stuff on the planet, IMHO.
Neither of my kids could stand those ready-made jarred meat/vegetable
combinations; they'd eat a couple of the fruit and/or yogurt offerings
but that was about it. So I just made my own baby food (usually
whatever we were having - just mushed up so they could eat it).

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

>> t'other half has just come back from dentist with ?4000 of new
>> implants and is wanting real meat tomorrow !

> For how many teeth? Wife of a friend is currently receiving dental
> implants in the UK. Something like 2200 euros per tooth, for
> extraction and implant.

For a left-lower molar I have spent about the same you write.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 9:51*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> Arri London wrote:
> >> t'other half has just come back from dentist with ?4000 of new
> >> implants and is wanting real meat tomorrow !

> > For how many teeth? Wife of a friend is currently receiving dental
> > implants in the UK. Something like 2200 euros per tooth, for
> > extraction and implant.

> For a left-lower molar I have spent about the same you write.
> --
> * Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Bless all of you for your answers and your sense of humor!
Lynn in Fargo
made scratch "regular-cooking" oatmeal for breakfast with a tad of
butter, brown sugar and cream
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" wrote:
> Arri London wrote:
>
>>> t'other half has just come back from dentist with ?4000 of new
>>> implants and is wanting real meat tomorrow !

>> For how many teeth? Wife of a friend is currently receiving dental
>> implants in the UK. Something like 2200 euros per tooth, for
>> extraction and implant.

> For a left-lower molar I have spent about the same you write.

There is no way to compare prices... every implant is different... often a
bone graft is needed in order for there to be a solid foundation to attach
an implant, that can bring the price up to well over $5,000. And implants
are not long lived anyway, 15 years is the outside limit for a perfect
candidate but 7-10 years is more realistic... when done taking short cuts
they may not last a year. With older people the implant is much more
involved due to jaw bone deterioration. An honest dentist will not
recommend rushing into having an implant, often a removable appliance is a
much better choice. One can wait to have the implant when they're older, to
increase the odds of the implant outlasting them... a lot can go wrong with
implants and typically they can't be redone... a person's age and the
general condition of their existing teeth needs to be considered. Implants
also require maintenence, regular realignment and retightening... this is
costly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Home come LilWayne hasn't had anything to say about being toothless? I
have had Vivid Visions of him traipsing about
his hovel practicing his letter S's by saying "Something Sounds Like
Steam Escaping".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
>

> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> >> 3 - you will finally understand why babies spit out that jarred baby
> >> food glop rightbackatcha

> > Got that right. Took a volunteer postion at a paediatric hospital
> > while considering medical school options. One duty was feeding the
> > sprogs (on normal diet) jarred commercial baby food. Second time I did
> > that, pinned a very large bath towel to my front. Most of that food
> > came back out faster than it went in LOL. Stupidly bought some anyway
> > when having the first pair of wisdom teeth out. Also spit that out as
> > fast as it went in! How do people expect babies to eat that nasty
> > stuff??

> I dunno. It must be some of the worst tasting stuff on the planet, IMHO.
> Neither of my kids could stand those ready-made jarred meat/vegetable
> combinations; they'd eat a couple of the fruit and/or yogurt offerings
> but that was about it. So I just made my own baby food (usually
> whatever we were having - just mushed up so they could eat it).

Most of my friends with children do the same, as did my own parents. One
couple brought a small blender/grinder to my house when they came to
Sunday lunch. Whatever they deemed appropriate for Junior was put into
the little machine and smushed up. He ate it all up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> 3 - you will finally understand why babies spit out that jarred baby food
> glop rightbackatcha

In a recent episode of "Hell's Kitchen," one of the cooking teams was being
punished for losing some kind of cooking challenge. Part of their punishment
was their lunch: A chef walked in carrying a big platter with grilled
steaks, baked potatoes, and broccoli. But before any of the contestants were
allowed to eat, all that food was combined in a blender.

On a more positive note, the apricot purée I made as the basis for my
"anti-lava" bar in my Labor Day menu could easily have been taken for baby
food, but it was *fantastic*.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
>1 - It's one way to stop biting your fingernails.
> 2 - you will really miss: nuts, popcorn, corn chips, raw vegetables
> (except cherry or grape tomatoes) . . . 3 -

Ugh. I just had a titanium implant screwed into my jaw this afternoon and
the only thing I'm eating is vodka and vicodin. I feel your pain.
(literally.)

What sucks is that I just pruned my basil and have the need for pesto...

No matter what, vodka and vicodin is a poor substitute for homemade pesto
and pasta. :-)

Hasta,
Curt Nelson